Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wood masts for a plastic model... Tips?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

JerryTodd

JerryTodd

Scale Sailor

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park Maryland USA

In the several Revel Constitution/United States models I've built, besides replacing the smallest spars with wood, the topmasts and lowers as well as the lower yards are hollow.  These I filled with epoxy (JB Weld) and a metal rod, usually a length of metal coat-hanger.

A couple of these kits were made to sail by radio-control, and the course yards were controlled by a rod inside the lower mast to a bell-crank below deck, in effect, achieving the same result as above.

ussuss.jpg

BTW: I've found bamboo skewers and chopsticks to be nice material for very light spars.

Up in the storage areas of the Naval Academy Museum in Preble Hall there were at least two dozen Revel Constitution models given by alumnists to the museum.  Every one built out of the box, and every one with bent and deformed plastic spars.

Edited by JerryTodd, 14 November 2016 - 05:57 AM.

• mtaylor, Archi, thibaultron and 1 other like this
Click a pic to go to that build log
sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.