Mast deminsions

jray47

I should have been more specific.  I have Steel's " Elements of Masting, etc" as well as some other masting books, but what I need is something for ships other than English or American.  I am hoping there is something out there that would be similar to zu Mondt, but readable.  

Or can someone teach me how to read the chart in zu Mondt?

Hi Jray;

The classic modern reference is James Lees' 'Masting & rigging of English ships of War 1625 - 1860' published by Conway Maritime,  and available on Amazon and others. 

Karl-Heinz Marquardt wrote '18th Century rigs & rigging',  which covers all major nations,  and the merchant fleets also.

Both of these are informative,  although Lees' work is probably better illustrated,  and is specific to English warships.

There are several contemporary works from around the late 18th/early 19th centuries,  available as facsimiles,  or on the internet as pdfs.  A search under 'Steel's mast-making and rigging' should bring up the best-known of these.  There are a few typos in the Steel's tables,  though,  from what I have seen discussed on MSW. 

Depending upon what type of vessel you are considering,  there are some very good books out there which illustrate the building of beautiful models step-by-step.  Most of these include a volume on masting & rigging.  David Antscherl,  Allan Yedlinsky & Ed Tosti have produced some very good books in this field.  Check out Seawatch books,  or again,  Amazon.

Some of the establishment lists from the 18th century also include complete listings of mast and spar dimensions.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

I should have been more specific.  I have Steel's " Elements of Masting, etc" as well as some other masting books, but what I need is something for ships other than English or American.  I am hoping there is something out there that would be similar to zu Mondt, but readable.  

Or can someone teach me how to read the chart in zu Mondt?

Any particular time frame and nation?  English and American rigging practice began to diverge drastically during the early days of the US Navy.  There is information in the Humphreys Notebook for several American Naval vessels.  The British navy is much more thoroughly covered, as you no doubt have discovered.  There are also some Dutch, Spanish and french resources, although I am not as familiar with them.

Anderson is a very good resource - his perspective was a bit broader than just Britain, and he covered earlier time periods. 

Best of luck!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus