Mare Nostrum by Worldway - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35 - Fishing Trawler - First Wooden Ship Build

I finally received my Mare Nostrum kit yesterday.  It was nicely packaged and, as far as I can tell, damage free.  I carefully opened the wrapping and inspected the items sent.  The manuals don't look to be the best but I think I can work with them, besides there are a lot of previous builds here I can consult.

Not wanting to waste any time I set out to install the bulkhead frames on the false keel.  My first dilemma was to find a way to do this so they are at 90 degrees to the keel and horizontal.  I borrowed an idea which I found on this site that used Lego blocks.  They worked very well.

Also, I used two spring clamps on the bottom of the keel to support the structure.  They will do until I can find a more suitable mounting fixture.  I am certainly open to suggestions. 

So far I have been using a very good carpenters glue.  I feel that the joint will be stronger than using CA glue (I hope I used the right acronym).  The carpenter's glue I am using has a high initial tack and sets in 25 minutes.

I plan to take my time on this build and not rush things (like I tend to do that at times).  If nothing else, this will be a learning experience for my next build.

​I'm looking forward to your comments (both positive and negative), your encouragement and your advice.

post-26154-0-88923600-1475103713_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-85809600-1475103715_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-20557500-1475103717_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-85745700-1475103718_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-92746100-1475103719_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-29695100-1475103721_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-71655700-1475103722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Worldway

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi "Worldway'"

I built this some time ago, looks like you are off to a good start.

I wrote a Practicum/Review for another site and can send to you if you wish and have some photos of my build if you are interested.

I think that mine took around 3 months of mainly Weekend work.

Take your time, it'll be worth it!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi HOF, I would very much like to see your Practicum/Review and photos.  I am learning my way around this forum and was about to submit a post with several questions but I deleted it by mistake.  However perhaps your information would answer some of those questions.

Attached are some recent pictures.  I wasn't sure if it is best to plank over the openings in the deck then cut them out later or plank around them.  Also, I don't know if it is necessary to plank completely to the edge of the deck or will that be covered by deck rails, etc.  I'm not happy with the deck planking right now.  I'm hoping that once the glue dries and it gets a light sanding it will look a lot better.  I started by pencilling the joint on the lower deck but decided I didn't like it so I stopped.  Now it looks silly with a line down the middle.  And it turns out I really did like the effect and wish I had continued it.

If it's all about learning from your mistakes I should be a pro by the end of this build.

post-26154-0-62851900-1475194864_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-35334700-1475194866_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-05048900-1475194868_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-76072500-1475194869_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-86605300-1475194870_thumb.jpg

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I've built that few years ago, it was my first wooden kit also and that was excellent choise for a first timer; Mare Nostrum is easy enough and there is many different things that allow great learning what becomes working with wood and metal fittings. Good luck with your build.

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

Hi Chap,

The idea is to run a Plank the full length of the Deck, (King Plank), this should be dead centre.

The rest of the planks are laid against this with a dark pencil marking Both edges of every subsequent plank, including the "Butt" ends. (I used to use a "Sharpie" but have tried a pencil with my latest build, I'm converted!!)

Deck Planks are laid very close to each other, the King Plank, Once dry), will keep everything in line.

Yup, go ahead and cover the openings in the false deck but mark with a pencil where the openings are. It also doesn't matter if the Planks overhang the False Deck as this gets trimmed/sanded flush after Decking is completed as do the openings in the Deck.

I also use an Aliphatic Resin, sandable White Glue and apply sparingly as the Decking is only 0.5mm thick, very easy to "Cut-Through!!"

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Is your False Deck attached to the Bulkheads? Can't tell from your Photo but would be a good idea to do this before Deck Planking due to camber, etc.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

My false deck is not attached to the bulkheads.  I can now see where this could be a problem.  The instructions weren't very clear in that department.  Having said that, I don't like the way the deck is turning out.  I think I am going to spend some time carefully sanding the planks off.  I'm assuming because the false deck is symmetrical I can simply flip it over and try again.

Because I'll have to buy new planking, is there a wood better suited or more authentic than basswood?  Also, can all previous builders reading this let me know if they noticed a shortfall of planking materials (I remember reading a couple of posts that mentioned it) or other materials.  If I have to order more material I might as well do it all at once to save shipping charges.

One thing I saw that I liked (and I apologize because I can't remember the builder) was the addition of tires on the side as bumpers.  I think I'll do that as well.

This weekend will be spent sanding and maybe building some sub assemblies such as the fish boxes and the stairs.  I'll send current pictures later in the weekend.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hi Chap,

Probably a good call to remove what you had done and start over, not something that I enjoy doing, Re-Work....

Agree, the instructions are a little lacking, to put it mildly, some steps that A/L show in their build sequence make future tasks all but impossible!!

It's good to step away, have a good look and consider the options in the build sequence.

Anyway, once you are ready to attach your False Deck to the Bulkheads, its good to mark some reference lines on the Deck as to where the Bulkheads are, this makes temporary "Pinning" of the Deck to the Bulkheads much easier and should ensure that everything is "Trued" up.

As for Planking Material, or any other material that comes with A/L kits, I have found that they are pretty generous with "Extras." (This may not now be the case.)

For future builds that I am considering, I'll probably use 1.0mm stock rather than the 0.5mm By the time that this is sanded, it's down to 0.5mm anyway.

Basswood does seem to be the kit manufactures choice but others do replace material, personal choice I guess.

(BTW, ensure that the tops of the Bulkheads and False Keel are nice and flush with respect to each other and any Bow/Stern filler Blocks also have a camber with respect to the Bulkheads.)

(In the interim, before I send you my take on the Kit, I posted some photos on another Members build Log if you search under Mare Nostrum/cdogg)

Have fun!! (Can be frustrating at times but it's still fun!! :))

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Well I undid and redid and think this time it's off to a better start.  One problem I have is that I can't get the false deck to sit on bulkheads two and three.  There is a gap of about 3 mm.  Is this something I should be concerned about and, if so, does anyone have a recommended fix?  I've tried gluing with carpenters glue and clamping and I've also tried using CA glue.  Neither have worked.  Speaking of which, I'm using Titebond CA Instant Wood Adhesive and am having zero luck with it.  I tried gluing one of the fish boxes together with it and the joints didn't hold.  Should I be using something different?

post-26154-0-56875100-1475347385_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-78247700-1475347386_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-78001900-1475347387_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-00506200-1475347389_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hi Chap,

Drill a couple of holes in the False Deck, two each side should do the trick and put some Planking Nails into it through to the Bulkheads.(Hold the False Deck on to the Bulkheads while you do this and maybe try to "Skew" nail to stop the nails pulling out.)

Once done, run a bead of white glue around the Bulkheads/False Deck join. (A good idea to this for every joint under the Deck, no ones going to see it and it will add strength. :))

You may behaving problems with CA holding if there is any Water based glue residue on the components.

For the Fish Boxes, I used CA on mine, make sure the wood is smooth and dust free.

You should be able to leave the nails in place if the heads are flat.

Hopefully, this will do the trick, and, remember, take your time, unfortunately, these models don't go together as fast as Plastic kits but they do come together, albeit, slowly. :)

Looking good!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

In the last photo it looks like your bulkheads are not seated all the way down, they look to be higher than the top of the keel. Especially bulkhead 1 :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Well I think things are progressing a little better now.  I have finished planking the false deck, much better results.  This time I used CA glue instead of carpenters glue and the look is a lot cleaner.  It just needs some light sanding which I haven't done yet. I also managed to get a couple of the fish boxes done, a good fill in project while waiting for glue to set.  The fish boxes are a little trickly for me with the small parts.  I'm four in and have already found a couple of ways to make assembly a little easier.  I'm sure by the time I build the last one it will look great.  I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to spend over the next few days as I have to go out of town.  I may not be able to get back to it for another week or so.

post-26154-0-18414100-1475444011_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-01162000-1475444014_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-59706100-1475444015_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-59500100-1475444012_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 2 weeks later...

I've sanded the deck trying to get rid of the visible CA glue.  I don't want to sand too much as there is only 0.6 mm thick planks.  I have to admit that I'm very happy with the results.  I was embarrassed with my fist attempt.  I've also installed the stair from the main deck to the upper deck.  I had issues with it because of the curve of the deck however I think I've found a good solution and again am happy with the outcome.  I will send pictures soon.

My next task is to frame around the deck openings.  Then it's on to planking the hull.  I still need to do more research on the hull planking.  This time I want to get it right the first time. Unfortunately, work is once again taking precedence so it will be a few days before I can get back to it. 

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Even when work gets in the way it's hard not to find a few minutes every day just for the odd tweak or rework.

I've sanded the deck but still need a little more to do.  The CA glue is still visible in spots. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I'm all ears.

One mistake I made, because I assumed and didn't read the instructions, was that the stern deck was supposed to be planked with 0.6 mm Basswood.  I just assumed that it would be the same as the main deck however I was wrong.  It was supposed to be planked with 1.5 mm Basswood.  I'm hoping this won't be a big issue.  Perhaps someone could shed some light.  If this may be a problem I could always add a layer of 1.0 mm Basswood.

There were a couple of areas where the false deck didn't quite meet the Bulkheads.  I added a filler piece so I was ensured of having a constant gluing / nailing surface.

The step (or ladder as called in the instructions) between the main deck and the stern deck called for a piece of 1.5 mm x 4 mm Walnut.  However, because my main deck had a slight curve and my stern deck was flat, I added filler material to cover the gap.  I think it turned out OK and am happy with it.  I just hope it doesn't cause me issues down the road.

A couple of days ago I was reviewing the forum and saw a couple of book recommendations.  I found them on Amazon and picked up used copies for very cheap.  I'm getting Ship Model Building 3rd Edition by Gene Johnson ($1.88) and Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Sterling ($6.33).

I was out of town yesterday and found a local hobby store.  Spent over an hour in there looking at everything available.  If I didn't have a family I would have spent a small fortune but my wife and kids need to eat.

post-26154-0-69625000-1476403706_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-60032900-1476403708_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-39142900-1476403707_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-99921200-1476403707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Even when work gets in the way it's hard not to find a few minutes every day just for the odd tweak or rework.

The daily shipyard fix...but we're not addicted huh?  :D

Looks great!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

• 2 weeks later...

When planking the hull do you need to soak the planks first? I'm concerned that there will be a big turn at the lower stern and the plank may split. Or should I be sanding to reduce the radius?

post-26154-0-34535800-1477152878_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-98399000-1477152898_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Sometimes you need to step back and reassess. The soaking of the planks question I had was actually in the limited instructions. I found that soaking for any longer than 5 minutes was counter productive. Luckily this is the first layer so hopefully I'll be experienced by the time I get to the second layer. I think I have some minor build errors so far but hopefully they will eventually be hidden to all but the trained eye. I've put on my first row of planks. LET THE PLANKING BEGIN.

post-26154-0-43090000-1477438209_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Planking is progressing although it's going slower than I anticipated.  I also feel that it's better to add a few planks then let everything dry before continuing.  I'm trying not to rush this build and take my time.  It's not coming out as "professionally" as I had hoped but The Admiral keeps reminding me that it is only my first build.  The stern area is a little rough looking but I think I can correct this with wood filler and sanding.  Also, my pin nailer isn't the best so a lot of nails are sitting proud of the surface.  I will have to go back and see if I can reset the nails before I start sanding.

I am truly enjoying this though and am learning a lot along the way.  I've also started gaining an appreciation for maritime history.  My ultimate goal is to build a model such as the USS Constitution but I'm years away from that. Hopefully when I retire I'll be ready to tackle the challenge. I think my next build will also be a beginner/intermediate style of boat.  I am a fan of fishing craft so will likely stay with that theme again.

I took a piece of 2" PVC pipe 15" long and glued a cap to one end.  I set it on my bench and secured it so it wouldn't tip over.  I filled it with water to make a little plank soaker.  The only think I didn't take into account was the fact that wood floats.  So I use and empty upside down pill bottle to put on top of the plank to weigh it down into the water.  I find this has been working really well.

post-26154-0-93911000-1477924460_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-75286400-1477924461_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-57751600-1477924462_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-41369300-1477924463_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-43401500-1477924464_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Well the first planking is complete and I've learned a valuable lesson. Planking order matters greatly. I found that I ended up with several planks that had no support on the ends. As you can see, I had to cut them off and add cross braces in order to add filler material. At this point I'm really hoping that the body fill and sanding will make it all better. I completely underestimated wood boat building and am gaining a new appreciation. It's changing how I think about the model and how I attack each phase. Like I said before my next model will also be a beginner / intermediate model as I'm sure it will also be used for learning technique.

My first purchase years ago was a model which I now know was made for advanced builders. I never stood a chance of finishing it, or at least finishing it with any pride. I wish I had kept it because it would have been a fun build in a few years (and now it's worth a lot of money to buy).

So now it's time for finishing and fine tuning. I imagine this next step will take some time.

post-26154-0-19695400-1478043919_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-43372400-1478043931_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-49838500-1478043944_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-95590900-1478043956_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-95590900-1478043956_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-54029000-1478043968_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thanks Robin, I do think it can be repaired. Just a smidgen of oakum and I'm good.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I made another mistake last night and need to completely redo the stern bulwark.  I planked the interior of the other bulwarks and need to install them before i plank the exterior.  I was going to start applying filler to the hull but realized that my brand new tub of filler is hard as a rock.  So I need to get more.  Unfortunately for me to get to a hobby store is at least a 45 minute drive so I will order online.  I am running out of wood strips because of redoing things and don't know where to get more.  I posted the question in the wood forum so hopefully I will get a few suggestions.

I am determined to finish this model and make it look the way I want it.  I am really enjoying this but I definitely need a lot more experience under my belt.  I guess you have to learn somehow.  Looking at some of the other builds it surprises me how much talent there is on this forum.  Some of the work is mind blowing.  If I can strive to be 5% as good as a lot of these guys I will be happy.

I think I'm ranting a bit because I'm frustrated and I have nothing to do tonight.  Out of wood and out of filler.  I may be a few days before I get back to it.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I found some 1/32" thick board which should be OK for planking.  The stern bulwarks are 1.5 mm thick or approximately 1/16".  I plan on gluing 2 sheets together to get the thickness required.

The stern bulwarks have to be bent around the keel.  Should I bend the two layers separately then glue them together or glue them together first before bending?  I was also thinking about using the panel that the original false keel was cut out of as a template.  Is that a good idea or should I just bend them around the keel itself?

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thanks Probablynot. I was wondering when / hoping you would add your thoughts. I have looked at your build countless times and have used it quite a lot for reference. In reality the planking isn't as nasty as the pictures might appear. There are definitely areas which need body work but I'm hoping by the time I get to the second planking it will be fine.

How did you attach the brass wire to the sliding doors; CA glue?

I have been working on sub assemblies for the last bit and here are some recent photos

post-26154-0-59813000-1478735459_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-02929900-1478735476_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-99400400-1478735498_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-50327500-1478735517_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I did make the sleeping bunks knowing that they would never been seen.  Or more accurately I should say that I hacked together two bunks and glued them down without the cloth "blanket" knowing that they would never been seen. 

I liked the detail on yours.  I also liked that you added a handle and hinges on the entrance door.  I'm not sure yet but I may add that detail on mine as well.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm starting to work on the hull.  I added wood filler and am waiting for it to set.  i think it will work out well and sand nicely.  it's a filler that model airplane people use because it hasn't any weight to it.  When i said earlier that the tub i bought was hard as a rock, apparently all you need to do is add a bit of water and it comes back to life.

post-26154-0-69530600-1478911444_thumb.jpg

I'm slowly moving forward.  Still working on a few sub assemblies. 

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm wondering if I'm missing something.  I did a wood inventory and I have enough wood to finish the project with the exception of planking the hull and bullwarks as shown.

post-26154-0-21614200-1479174467_thumb.jpg

They don't list these materials in the BOM.  I'm wondering if this is an option that I have to purchase separately vs. painting the boat. 

Perhaps someone could shed some light.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looking good so far Worldway, very similar to how mine looked after the first planking.

The wood strips for the second layer of planking should have been included(it were included in my kit), unless the newer versions of this kit expects you to paint it instead of planking it. It might be a cost saving measure on AL's side.

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

I keep forgetting about my local building centers.  I just checked one such store online and they sell a good selection of veneers.  They are 0.03" or 0.762 mm thick.  I require 0.6 mm thick which I think is close enough.  I wish I had thought of them when I bought wood filler.  I paid 2 to 3 times as much from a local hobby store not thinking about a building center. I need to realize that I'm not building plastic models anymore.  I'm dealing with a brand new set of rules.

You are correct probablynot.  However, I have managed to attach the stern bulwark.  It's not uniform in depth, being higher at the rear and more toward proper height at the sides.  I will leave it as is and apply the vertical planking accordingly.  I don't think it looks too bad.

I will post more pictures of my build a little later.  I haven't done so yet because I wanted to get a bit more progress done first.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Could someone please give me a suggestion as to how to clamp the front of the bulwark where it meets the keel until the glue sets.  The keel isn't installed yet, not sure if that matters.

I'm working on installing the bulwark and still finishing sanding the hull.  I also still need to install the keel.  i hope to start the second planking early next week.  The veneer I purchased at my local building center wasn't quite what I was looking for.  I ended up dealing with an out of town wood dealer who sells small quantities of veneer.  He is going to send me 5 sq ft of Sapele and 5 sq ft of an equivalent to Ramin.

Looking further into the instructions it seems that the second planking material is not supplied.  I also noticed this on some other models i have been looking at.  I was thinking of perhaps building the Bluenose II by Model Shipways next and i believe they do not supply the final planking as well.

I haven't sent pictures in a while because in the past I have sent some ugly looking pictures which would indicate I have no idea what I'm doing.  I would rather show the more positive side and send pictures after a process has been completed.  Believe it or not, aside from trying to attach the bulwark, it's not looking too bad.  At least in my mind.

Pictures will come soon.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds