Mare Nostrum by Worldway - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35 - Fishing Trawler - First Wooden Ship Build

The bulwark has proven to be my biggest adversary so far. I decided to follow the instructions and plank the inner bulwark before installation. Bad move. This caused a slew of problems. Long story short I've had to remove the bulwarks and remove the inner planking. The inner planking also made bending difficult and I couldn't get the nails to hold the bulwark. I should have followed others who said they didn't plank the bulwark before installing.

I've also learned a valuable lesson. If the first stages of construction aren't 100% true then your going to have issues further on which I am finding.

It seems I have been doing a lot of rework but I guess it's all part of learning. I'm also going to redo my reeling winch base and the forward quarters hatchway which I am definitely not pleased with.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Here are the latest pics.  Like I said, installing the bulwarks was the biggest challenge so far.  I really had a lot of difficulty with it.  The stern bulwark didn't install at the right height therefore the sternmost section is higher than the port and starboard sections. However, i don't think it looks that bad.

post-26154-0-99817000-1479770061_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-89302200-1479770062_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-75676400-1479770063_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-86703100-1479770064_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-05726300-1479770066_thumb.jpg

I received my veneers today.  I didn't have time to really unpack them but on quick inspection they look great and I got more than expected.  I will definitely have enough planking for the hull and may use some for the interior structures.

Can someone recommend, or point me to a forum topic, for cutting veneers.  I need to cut them 5 mm wide and I'm not quite sure the best method. Knowing me, if I do it my way, the knife will follow the grain and it won't be the proper width.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

So here is a rookie question but I'm curious about techniques, tips and tricks.  I have to redo my reeling winch base and the forward quarters hatchway.  I tried once already and i didn't like the way it turned out.  I'm curious what others do to keep everything 90 degrees and all wood to proper lengths. I got a small piece of stainless steel plate knowing that yellow glue won't stick to it.  I'm thinking I should get some type of 90 degree angle bracket to align the structures.

Here is what it's supposed to be

post-26154-0-01659200-1479858545_thumb.jpg

Here is my attempt

post-26154-0-43292400-1479858604_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Probablynot, thanks for the advice / comments.  I never clued in about the scuppers, you gave me an opportunity to slap my forehead. I thought about trying to relocate them but decided that they will go unnoticed to all but the serious builder.  I am going to redo the hatch covers.  I am still in the process of sanding the hull and bulwarks and adding body fill when required. Hopefully when I get to the final planking stage everything will look better.  Again, this boat was bought with the full intention of using it as a learning tool.  I have recently bought the Bluenose from Model Shipways and Bob Hunt's practicum.  I don't plan on starting it until this one is fully complete.

I am learning quite a lot.  It's people like you and others that have helped me along the way.  Because of the kind comments I have realized that sections of what I have done were not good enough and I have redone them.  I have learned patience and perseverance. And The Admiral sits there every night listening to me gently explain to her how well the model is going.

Life is busy and I haven't been spending as much time as I would like on it.  Maybe only two hours a week.  That's why the build is going so slow.

I think this is a really good model for the beginner because there are so many opportunities to cover over poor work.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have learned patience and perseverance. And The Admiral sits there every night listening to me gently explain to her how well the model is going.

Life is busy and I haven't been spending as much time as I would like on it.  Maybe only two hours a week.  That's why the build is going so slow.

Slow is good and try to think and rethink before you grab the glue. Dry fit when possible and when in doubt...throw your hands in the air and make sure something goes smooth. It's better to spend some time figuring something out than spending the same (or more) time to fix something that went wrong.

The kind people here are always willing to help when you face an issue.

I'm new and still learning myself, so I'm of no use, but I follow your build and it's nice to see you're learning and improving.

The hull looks much better already! 

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

As probablynot pointed out the scuppers are sitting too high on the deck.  I was wondering how it might look if I cut the scuppers down to deck level.  It would obviously be a bigger opening.  I don't know if I have the ability to actually "move" the scupper and keep them in the same scale.

post-26154-0-79058500-1480188812_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I filed the scuppers so they met the bow.

post-26154-0-29216900-1480274877_thumb.jpg

I then installed small pieces of wood to resize them.

post-26154-0-95991800-1480274877_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-56499100-1480274878_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-13671900-1480274879_thumb.jpg

Added a bit of wood fill

post-26154-0-75326900-1480274879_thumb.jpg

A little bit of filing and sanding and there you have it.

post-26154-0-36337300-1480274880_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

So here is my next challenge.  The bulwarks don't extend to the stern post.  My "fix" is to add to the upper stern post thickness with basswood.  Therefore the two will meet and I'm hoping the final planking will cover up the error.  Again this reinforces my comment earlier that if you don't start out accurate, you will have problems with the rest of the build not fitting properly.

I feel like I'm learning more about kit bashing than I am about building the model properly. :piratetongueor4:

post-26154-0-23252900-1480366695_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-17366300-1480366696_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-24445300-1480366697_thumb.jpg

I realize that the first planking layer still needs work and sanding.  I notice the one picture of the hull makes the planking look extremely ragged.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I was away for a week in San Diego.  Just getting back to the boat.

I've attached the forward stern post and the rear stern post.  I've planked the rear interior bulwark and am starting to work on the front interior bulwark.  I still have hull sanding to do but I'm hoping to start the final planking soon.

I was experimenting today with cutting veneers and it's not that difficult.  Just carefully with several light passes as probablynot recommended.

In San Diego I had a chance to take a cruise on a yacht.  I'm not boasting, what I'm saying is that I was looking at the yacht from a different perspective.  Instead of focusing on the state rooms or the bridge, I was taking pictures of the deck planking and the rigging.  I think I'm hooked.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I finished planking the interior bulwarks.  I decided to run a full plank above the scuppers and fill in between the scuppers below the first plank.  I've added a detail at the bow to hide imperfections.  Next up - planking the hull.  I'm hoping to start that tomorrow night.

post-26154-0-83021700-1480990868_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-69859300-1480990869_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Ha Ha, did I say I was going to start hull planking today?  After closely examining the hull I realize I have a LOT of sanding to do.  I just finished the rough sanding and want to get into finer grits.  I'm finding that the nails are getting in the way though.  It's ironic that I have pretty much sanded off most of the body fill I've added.  I probably could have used 1/10 of what I did.

post-26154-0-09189000-1481161629_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-23097100-1481161630_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-63295700-1481161631_thumb.jpg

I still have to fix up the planking by the bow post. (I'm still learning nautical terms and I may have previously referred to this as the stern post). 

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I started the second planking with some success.  It's proving to be going slow because I can only do one plank at a time them wait for the glue to set.  I found that although CA glue worked for the bulwarks it isn't working for the hull and my carpenter's glue is working a lot better.

post-26154-0-28423100-1481486208_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-51273200-1481486209_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-10565600-1481486211_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-31573900-1481486212_thumb.jpg

I'm certainly not getting the professional results that I want.  I guess that comes with practice.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Don't worry too much about it, you're learning and improving.

No idea how you managed to do it, but your hull looks pretty good. Is it some kind of sorcery?

The first photo's of your planking scared me, but it really does look smooth (and watertight) now!  :o

Perhaps not perfect, but who cares? and your next build will benefit from what you learn now,

A full bonus point for stamina. Well deserved!  :)

Cheers!

Robin

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

So I had three rows of planking done on both sides but wasn't happy with the results so I removed rows 2 and 3 and decided to start again.  This time I think I will read the planking tutorial on this site and actually pay attention to it.  Hopefully the next time I publish pictures the hull will be fully planked.... properly.

Thanks for the kind words Robin.  Definitely a learning curve but I'm slowly getting there.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I found that the planks were sitting proud of the deck toward the stern.  I believe this was caused by trying to force the planks to sit in place against the adjoining plank while trying to maintain the curvature.  I realized that you just simply can't plank from top to bottom as others have observed with my first planking job.  I will put a plank mid hull then cut and adjust all other planks to fit against it.  Again, I will review the planking instructions on this site.

I don't really mind all the rework I have been doing.  First, I'm learning a ton of stuff.  Second, I am actually getting a good stock of wood / veneers now. Third, the Bluenose hasn't even shipped yet so I still have plenty of time to kill.  Might as well learn what I can in the meantime.

If I can offer one word of advice to a new builder "MAKE SURE THE INITIAL STAGES OF THE BUILD IS TRUE AND ACCURATE, IF NOT NOTHING ELSE ALONG THE WAY WILL FIT PROPERLY."  As I said before, i completely underestimated building boats with wood and figured it was as easy as plastic models.  Nope, not even close.  So now I pay the price.

Still keeping optimistic hope that the final product will be worthy of display.  I would hate to put all this work into a model then relegate it to the closet.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hull planking is progressing albeit rather slowly.  It's not perfect but I'm hoping that after final sanding it will look a lot better.  Hopefully I will have it finished soon so I can move on with the build. I've purchased some tools to help me along the way but the Admiral insisted I put them under the tree until Christmas.  Perhaps then speed will pick up.

post-26154-0-12697600-1482163363_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-97485300-1482163363_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I wasn't happy with the planking I installed by the keel so I removed it and will re-do it.  Truth be told, I'm not overly happy with any of the planking but I just want to move on, finish this model then start the Bluenose.  There are areas of planking that i will try to cover up especially where the plank meets the stern. I may add a vertical plank to improve the transition. I realize this isn't accurate but I'm sure only those with a nautical background will notice.

I managed to re-do my forward quarters hatchway and am happy with the outcome.  Original is on the left with the new one on the right.  I didn't have enough material to re-do the reeving winch base but I think I can live with what I have.

post-26154-0-27401000-1482774228_thumb.jpg

I (once again) misread the directions and thought I had to make the brass loops for the rigging hoops that connect to the eye bolts. I took a length of 1mm dia brass and twisted around a piece of 2mm dia brass.  I was quite happy with the results and got most of them installed when I realized they were already in my parts kit.  I will keep the ones I made however I am now short 1 length of 1mm dia brass.  I'm going to have to omit some details further on because I won't have enough material for them.

post-26154-0-54681500-1482774229_thumb.jpg

I was busy with the hull planking and then tearing out some of the hull planking so i thought I would get away from planking for a while so have been working on some of the sub assemblies.

post-26154-0-25286200-1482774231_thumb.jpg

With the holidays, visits, family, etc I haven't had a lot of time to work on it.  I'm off work for another week so plan to go full steam ahead.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Today I was working on the hull planking and only have one row left on either side.  While waiting for glue to dry I decided to build the wheelhouse. One thing I noticed was that there was no direction in regards to the edge of the roof.  So I cut a thin veneer to cover the bare wood.

post-26154-0-62340700-1483296910_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-61543700-1483296911_thumb.jpg

I also decided to keep the roof flat as opposed to having a slight curvature.  I filed down the alignment tabs and flattened the curve in the front and rear walls.

post-26154-0-15681500-1483296913_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-49762400-1483296914_thumb.jpg

One problem I had was the inconsistent colour of the walnut.  As you can see, the walnut trim ranged from darker to lighter. In one case I didn't have enough material left to span the full gap and had to splice in another piece I had in my scrap pile. The colour difference is really noticeable so I put it in the least conspicuous place.

post-26154-0-48475200-1483296915_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-50277000-1483296916_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-82978700-1483296917_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-57448000-1483296918_thumb.jpg

Now it's sanding time.  Also, I haven't decided if I'm going to use the name Mare Nostrum or come up with a name of my own.  I'll likely pick my own name and identification numbers to keep it unique to my build.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Will you be pleased to be finished with the planking?  It is such a hurdle for us newcomers isn't it!

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Will you be pleased to be finished with the planking?  It is such a hurdle for us newcomers isn't it!

Doug

Doug,

I can't wait until the planking is done.  It has been a tedious task and one that I haven't enjoyed since I started.  I should be done very shortly.

Well here is another problem I noticed.  I was setting up for the following pictures and realized that the forward covering board will not line up properly with the bulwarks.  I think that I can rectify the problem by adding a filler piece on top of the bow.  I'm hoping that should be the last of my misalignment problems.

I wanted to take the following shots to summarize my progress to date.

post-26154-0-80365100-1483302774_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-72657600-1483302775_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hi Derek,

From your last photo, it's really getting there!!

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Well the planking is done. I'm not completely happy with it and found it to be a very painful process. I still have a lot of sanding to do. I found some coloured wood filler at my local hardware store.  I bought teak colour thinking it would be a close match.  However, after looking at a sample it seemed to light in colour for me. It dried lighter that when first applied. So I went back and bought a mahogany. It of course was too dark.  However I tried a couple of mixtures, 1/2 teak and 1/2 mahogany then 3/4 teak and 1/4 mahogany.  I think the 75/25 ratio gave the closest result. I plan to use the fill sparingly, just for small gaps, etc.

post-26154-0-41329900-1483383814_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

OK, I'm getting frustrated and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have two types of CA Glue.  Both are completely useless.  Actually I shouldn't say that because they are great for gluing my fingers to whatever they touch but they do not glue wood to wood.

post-26154-0-88095900-1483393031_thumb.jpg

Are these crap glues?  I'm trying to glue my Sapele to the basswood planking but it doesn't work.  I can clamp them for an hour and it still won't glue.  Is it perhaps because the wood is soaking the glue in?  If you look further back in my posts I was having issues with the fish boxes.  Same thing, the glue wasn't gluing. 

I find that my wood glue is far more superior to the CA glues and has a faster set time.

Is there a better brand to use? Should I be using an activator?

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm using Lepage's Pro Carpenters Glue. I would highly recommend this to anyone. It's amazing glue, it has a quick tack time (about 5 minutes) and a great set time in about half hour.  Full cure is 24 hours but it's certainly not necessary to wait that long.  My build is 95% using this glue.  Plus, it dries clear and doesn't stain like CA glue does.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hi derek I use a brand called zap a gap not sure if that is available where you are it works very well for wood to wood

There are different colour bottle zap a gap I go with the green one it's a medium

That's if I'm wanting something to dry instantly otherwise I use white pva not sure of the brand it's just a trade glue I borrow it from work by the gallon don't tell anybody tho

Edited by Steve 12345

yeh i heard about Zap a Gap, i may have to grab a bottle. Hopefully that will work. I guess I was just venting earlier.  Wanted to do something and the glue wasn't holding. Kinda got a little frustrated.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have been busy sanding the hull.  Did I happen to mention that I hate sanding.  Oh well, it's all part of the process.

I decided not to use the name Mare Nostrum because this is anything but.  Sure it's a model called the Mare Nostrum but I have made several modifications (error corrections) that makes it slightly unique. So I've decided to call it "Autrulo I.  It is the first couple of initials of my two kids and wife.  Of course the Admiral suggests that the "I" refers to me.  I'm also going to use 210821 as identification numbers referring to my wife and kids birth dates.

I bought a roll of copper wire which is pretty close to 1 mm diameter.  The kit came with brass wire but I think I can make the copper work to make up for my deficiency. I'm hoping to start some finishing soon.  I have Minwax polyurethane and think it will give a nice look and preserve the wood colour. Oh, and I bought the tire fenders (bumpers) as well which I plan to install for an added look.

Hopefully  my next post will be of a fully completed hull.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I think I am finally done with the hull, thank goodness. I haven't applied any finish yet, was thinking of a polyurethane but may go for a wax.  I started on installing the stanchions. So far so good.  

post-26154-0-40661700-1483667966_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-29957700-1483667967_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-69588700-1483667968_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I finished installing the stanchions and side cleats.  

post-26154-0-17141000-1483748751_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to bend the rubbing strakes but they keep snapping.  They are 2mm x 2mm walnut.  Can someone please tell me how long I should soak them for.

post-26154-0-39652800-1483748752_thumb.jpg

Finally, after a week of working and building.....

post-26154-0-89116200-1483748753_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds