Mare Nostrum by Worldway - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35 - Fishing Trawler - First Wooden Ship Build

Nice model, Derek, and great photos as well.  Wish I had studio lights like yours. I was more the outdoors  photographer than studio so never infested in them. 

Achu, I'll try moving the strobes closer but, looking back, I like the folds in the back drop.  It kind of gives a feeling of waves in the background.

Steve. Hoff, TigerSteve, really appreciate the kind words.  Coming from you guys it means a lot.

Jack, every time I decide to get into a new hobby I go overboard.  Drives the Admiral nuts.  A few years ago I wanted to buy a good DSLR camera.  Once I got it I figured I should learn how to use it. So I ended up getting a certificate in photography from our local College.  Since getting into model building, I've had all this gear sitting there in bags.  The Admiral used to run an at home Daycare and got out of it about 6 months ago.  We now have a large room unused.  So I unpacked some of the gear to see if I could improve the images I have been posting.  Apparently it worked because the comments since I've posted have been extremely positive.  I also posted to Facebook and have been getting a ton of great feed back.  I used to use my cell phone to take the pics but I now think it's going to be the Nikon D7100.  A much nicer job.

Like I said a while ago, this model isn't 100% finished.  I've ordered tire fenders for it but haven't received them yet.  They have been back ordered for some time but when I get and install them I will post the final pictures.

Thanks all for following, the great comments, the help and the encouragement.  What a great forum.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 9 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, Steve 12345 said:

suggesting you start smoking if you don't already

Depending on exactly what's being consumed.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Better than my first kit. Tried the Niagara. screwed the rigging up so bad I set it aside.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 years later...

Hi Mark,

RC for this would be interesting.

It's pretty small....

I look forward to your endeavors.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 months later...

Thank you, you guys, for going before me on this. I have just started this, (a wedding present given me by my wife 26 years ago!) and have come up against a number of things you mention. Now it is the gaps between the deck and the tops of the frames. However I feel encouraged that there are solutions and others have come across the same questions!

• 9 months later...
Just now, Davie said:

IMG-0825.thumb.jpg.02fe02fd14049f0f0cc4a721b6e167c8.jpgIMG-0826.thumb.jpg.8f85c80ccc9d7b107fcb4442245b463f.jpg

This is me after maybe one year. I am pleased with the way things have gone (via a broken keel - the original was 5mm ply and the replacement ordered from AL is 3mm - but all seems to have come together quite well). 

I am now sweating on making the hull as smooth as possible (but how smooth is that?!). Then I am wary about going on to adding the false keel. How is that attached to the keel? Is it jus stuck on? - and also the bulwarks... I might treat them like the planking - damping them then fitting them to the required shape with our iron, and then adding the planking.

PS I can't upload a couple of prior pictures to these two - maybe the file is too large?

2 minutes ago, Davie said:

This is me after maybe one year. I am pleased with the way things have gone (via a broken keel - the original was 5mm ply and the replacement ordered from AL is 3mm - but all seems to have come together quite well). 

I am now sweating on making the hull as smooth as possible (but how smooth is that?!). Then I am wary about going on to adding the false keel. How is that attached to the keel? Is it jus stuck on? - and also the bulwarks... I might treat them like the planking - damping them then fitting them to the required shape with our iron, and then adding the planking.

PS I can't upload a couple of prior pictures to these two - maybe the file is too large?  

PPS All sorted! This is how I achieved the deck curvature across the deck and then also the shaping fore and aft

IMG-0559.jpg

IMG-0560.jpg

• 1 year later...

Great pictures - they are most helpful. I am on to the deck furniture and not sure where I am going with things like the engine, funnel, etc., but the pictures show me what goes where - thank you.

[My wife gave this to me as a wedding present 28 years ago, and I have just retired so at last started work on it!]

IMG_2990.jpg