Pride of Baltimore II by Bill Hime - scale 1:48 - embellished version

Good morning everyone!

This log is the evolution of what was a kit build, that out of frustration and disappointment, is now a full campaign into scratch building.

I bought Model Shipways "Pride of Baltimore II", 1:64th scale what now must be a couple years ago. I was beyond excited when it arrived. My wife and I spread the contents across the counter, separating, grouping every strip as we checked off the material list.

We counted cannons, pulleys and deadeyes...This is where my initial frustration was seeded. The cannons where so small, with little detail to enjoy. Nonetheless, I jumped in with enthusiasm. I built the bulkhead frame and fared it out for planking. I had planned all along to build this model as an embellished version replacing decking and planking with Redheart, Yellowheart, and Holly. I had also planned on eliminating some of the "modern" features on deck and making it more/less true to the original schooner.

I have to admit, at the time of purchase, I settled for this kit. The budget was not there for me to purchase the ship I wanted, "HMS Surprise", 1:48 scale by A L. I was concerned with the scale of 1:64th from the beginning in that it wouldn't give me the room to be creative with exotic woods, building a "jewelry box" display piece.

So it sat, staring at me. I found myself avoiding this forum, not wanting to answer to having no updates..silly, I know. Over time the "Pride" found it's way back into the box preached on a high shelf.  The shipyard was silent, tools hung motionless and frustration became loss.

Finally, life took back over, as it always does. I wondered in and out of MSW for some time there after. I logged back in this past March I think, only to find I had loss a good friend, Augie Bruno.

Augie's passing hit me hard. I had planned on telling him I retired from healthcare. I had mentioned how I hate how time and the busy-ness of life steals from us the things we love most.

We spent the last winter and spring renovating our new property. I turned a cabin next to house into my cabinet/furniture shop. I made a separate space within for the shipyard. Business took off with a bang but lately, my benches are idle without any work on the books.

So what life has afforded me is time to be here with good friends and a shared passion. Winter will reach Wisconsin soon enough.

Now to the build; I'm resizing the plans from 1:64 to 1:48 scale. 

Materials featured: Hard Maple and Basswood for frame and structure. Redheart for planking, Yellowheart for decking, Holly, Ebony and brass and copper for details. treenails will be copper and brass pins.

I look forward to any input or thoughts as this project moves along! I'll be spending time this weekend readying the shipyard for this build and start resizing my materials list with an online scale calculator.

Sincere Regards to All,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

sounds very promissing Bill,

I wish you a good start with the keellaying and much fun with the build, the POB is a very nice ship.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Okay then! I've shifted my chair, now in the front row for a close up view. Can't wait to see what you do with this Bill. :)

Hi Bill,

I was disappointed with this kit myself even though I started it and found a bunch of poorly cut bulkheads which I didn't correct before I planked. Your plan sounds fantastic with the use of beautiful hardwoods. This is something I wanted to do myself and I found that I was substituting some nice wood that I bought pre cut. Since these ships are some of the most beautiful to me and my time is limited and I live in a small appartment, I decided to just forge ahead with the whole project and go off the reservation- turning it into an 1812 privateer with 14 guns. I found much better guns than the ones provided at the Lumberyard. 

I really look forward to this build of yours as you are a real wood worker and I love the beauty of natural wood myself. I will be following along with great interest!

Phebe

Hi Bill

I quickly became frustrated with kits myself and started scratch building - don't plan to go back to kits.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Thanks Phebe and Frank!

I've been away on a family trip. A little more work on the shipyard/shop today. Winter is fast approaching Wisconsin. I have a little more insulation to do and drywall in the shipyard.

Might try to run in to Kinko's tonight to resize the plans. ;)

Bill

Good evening everyone!

I've spent the afternoon working with converting my materials list for POB II 1:64 to 1:48 scale. I've played plug and play for a couple of hours now and feel like it shouldn't be this difficult.

So a plank that is 1/16" x 3/16" at 1:64 scale is;  ???? x ???? at 1:48..........................and that's where I'm stuck, lol??????

Looking for input :) :) :)

Bill

Multiply everything by 1.3333 or 133.33% to convert from 1/64 to 1/48.

1/16" x 3/16 = .0625 x .1875 so multiply these values by 1.3333 to get  .08333 x .24999 or about 1/12" x 1/4" (I think).

Hi Bill, please don't start cutting wood with my calculations until verified :P  :) :

1/16 x 3/16 @ 1:48 = 5/64 x 1/4 or .081 x .243

I didn't see Brian's when I started this, 1.333 is from dividing 64 by 48 = 1.333 so everything has to be increased by this amount

Brian, Don and Jcoby,

Thanks guys...three minds all thinking alike!

It's situations like this that I like the decimal system so much more...I mean come on! what's 1/12 of an inch lol?! Well at least I have an engineer's ruler with 12ths on it.

I suppose I could just approach this build in metric from the very beginning ;)...No! LOL!

I'm going to start converting my list tonight. I'll post the conversions ;)

Bill

Edited by Bill Hime

I suppose I could just approach this build in metric from the very beginning!

Fractional divisions is where Imperial really shines. Need 1/3 of 12"? 4" Need 1/3 of 100mm? 33.333333...mm. Need 1/2 of 7/16? Just multiply the denominator by two (7/32). Need 1/6 of 12"? That's 2". Need 1/6 of 100mm? Good luck doing that in your head.

I work with both measuring systems and metric has its advantages but Imperial also has its advantages. There is good reason the construction industry hasn't moved to metric and other countries just adopted metric versions of the Imperial system for construction.

Current build - MS Pride of Baltimore II

Dang Bill just blow the stinkin plans up and take the measurements off them to the nearest 1/64 :) make some sawdust dude - even do overs are better than doing the math :D

Just kiddin.... Looking forward to your BUILD!!

Lou

Jcoby, you're absolutely correct. I work with both as well, But as A Cabinet/furniture-maker, finish carpenter, I live in the Imperial math world :)!

Actually, it's not all that difficult. Just the short time here tonight I've been doing conversions, many of them are repeated numbers :)!

Bill 

Dang Bill just blow the stinkin plans up and take the measurements off them to the nearest 1/64 :) make some sawdust dude - even do overs are better than doing the math :D

Just kiddin.... Looking forward to your BUILD!!

Lou

Hey Lou! great to have you come by! Lol, I have to set an example for my 16 yr old son, not to mention, keep my OCD happy!

Bill

You must have a gifted 16 year old, if mine knew there was math involved in modeling I would never get them to take an interest in it! :)

Lou

Hey Bill,

This is why spreadsheets were invented my friend! Once you know the conversion factor (1.333 in this case), let the spreadsheet do the heavy lifting and give your brain a rest. Then you can concentrate on what you are bettter at than the computer - making sawdust! :)

Hey Bill,

This is why spreadsheets were invented my friend! Once you know the conversion factor (1.333 in this case), let the spreadsheet do the heavy lifting and give your brain a rest. Then you can concentrate on what you are bettter at than the computer - making sawdust! :)

Good morning Everyone!

Grant, Well heck, that sounds way too easy, lol. I just asked my wife if our computer could do a "spreadsheet". She looked at me sideways and giggled. "Of course", she answered.

You would think with all my "higher education", I might have picked that skill up somewhere along the way, lol! 

So I'm getting a lesson on spreadsheets today!

thanks Grant :)

Sjors!!! Great to have you drop in my friend! Lol, it's in active production! Resizing plans when I can get into town this week for sure. I'm going to throw together a desk/work table for the new shipyard today :)

I have missed being here with good friends and new friends. You all give me a great deal of peace..

Bill

Edited by Bill Hime

• 9 months later...

Wow....seems like every time I step back in here to continue what I've started, another year has passed since my last post. Well I guess it's not a year yet, just 284 days, 7 hours, and 37 minutes, give or take.

A lot has happened in that time, life is like that. we can't stand still enough for "life" not to happen. long story short, I've closed the cabinet/furniture shop. Turns out, I'm not a very good businessman. I'm even worse at meeting deadlines.

So I'm back working in ICU at the VA. I love being back and love my job. So I have this big beautiful wood shop that is finally going to become the official shipyard. I've got a lot of cleaning and some rearranging to do. I do have my resized plans for the POB II and a good deal of material to work with.

I guess I pick up where I left off...Hello everyone! I've missed being here terribly, hope everyone's well :)

Bill

Hey Bill - so glad to see you back! Sorry to hear the cabinet/furniture shop didn't work out but pleased to hear you're back doing something else you love - helping other people.

Can't wait to see you making sawdust again.

Welcome home, my friend. :)

7 hours ago, gjdale said:

Hey Bill - so glad to see you back! Sorry to hear the cabinet/furniture shop didn't work out but pleased to hear you're back doing something else you love - helping other people.

Can't wait to see you making sawdust again.

Welcome home, my friend. :)

Great to hear from you Grant! Hope all well Down Under! Thank you, it means so much to come some place where even after a long absence you feel like you're just returning from a long voyage. This is a safe harbor with good friends, and you are definitely one of them!

Bill :)

Welcome back, Bill.   It's always great to do things we love and get paid for it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Bill:

Just think in terms of making everything larger by a constant factor of 1.3333.... piece of cake for an old sawdust maker like yourself.
Good choice to go "scratch" on that model, and 1:48 is a great scale to work with.  
I remember, I was going to go 1:50th on my Connie until I did my original conversion scaling and realized she was already a very large model at kit size.  Going to 1:50th would have been HUGE!

BTW.... The tragic loss of our friend Augie was a sad time for all who knew him through MSW.  

Cheers

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com