Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CA Glue Residue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Worldway

Worldway
  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Is there any good way to get rid of CA Glue residue. I can see it after I planked my false deck. I've sanded which helped a lot but I'm afraid to sand further. I'm hoping now there is a chemical solution that is effective

I'm sorry if this has been asked previous but I couldn't find my answer by searching the forum. I looked for about 10 minutes without luck. Sometimes it's easier to simply ask a question, even though it may have been asked a few times in the past.
  • donrobinson likes this

Derek

Current Build: Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

On Deck: Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Kurt Van Dahm

Kurt Van Dahm
  • Moderators
  • 631 posts
  • LocationFar West Chicago Suburbs

Do a test on the same kind of wood and C/A as used on the deck but using a solvent based clear coat over the sanded deck does in many cases make the residue disappear - as long as it's not a build up but soaked into the wood. 

Kurt

• mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

Kurt Van Dahm

Director - Chairman

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS
Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago
Midwest Model Shipwrights
North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

CA can be a friend or your worst enemy, for the stains and depending on the kind of ca you have use the results are different. I have found that when using medium viscosity ca it is best to let it dry before trying to clean. The thin ca tends to soak through the wood, as it is meant to do, and is very hard to get stains out especially on thin planks such as  .5 mm planks.

Scraping first instead of sanding is paramount, scrape until the shavings are wood coloured and not white(white is the ca), sanding will often hide the stain. 

Holding your model up to a light at different angles will show you "shiny " areas which are also ca that need to be removed.

The upshot of it all is to scrape before you sand.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf and Canute like this

Mike40

Mike40
  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationKleppe Norway (southwest coast)

Acetone is usually recommended to dissolve CA glue, but try not to get it on your skin, it pretty strong stuff. Some will probably still remain in the wood pours.

• Canute likes this

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.