Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photoetch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello Les here. I though I could get ahead of the game by CAing some of the parts of my DJ Parkins etch set. I am now assembling the parts and realise that CA does not stand up to the soldering process, it boils out when heated. My concern is I am now working on the bandstand for the main gun on my 1/72 Snowberry. My question. Is there a way to disolve the CA so I could solder then assemble the parts?

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,241 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Les,

Soak them in acetone.  Depending on how long the CA has cured and how much, it may take awhile.

• bluenose2, Canute and Landlocked123 like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Les,

CA dissolves with acetone, but it's nasty stuff. Be sure use gloves, have a lot of ventilation and avoid splashing it on yourself. Just immerse the PE in the acetone for a few minutes and the pieces should come apart easily. Be sure to clean the pieces very well before soldering.

Best,
John
  • mtaylor, bluenose2 and Canute like this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello mtaylor. Thnx for the info. Photo etch is a great push forward for builders as it gives great detail. Building as I have found can be challenging at best. My biggest struggle has been with building up the micro small parts into larger bits.It's starting to frustrate me. I know if I stick with it I can build a museum quality replica. Most of my issues end up being lack of information on how to do the job and experience.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.