Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Simple carving techniques for first-timers using a chisel and knives

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

If you guys can do me a favor so folks can find the relevant content easier.... :) ...can you please post about carving books, wood choices and tools in the other forum topic I created for it.   It will just make finding the info easier....Right now this topic is becoming a mishmash of everything rather than just being about technique.  You will see the other topic in this carving group about books, tools and wood.

I just moved a bunch so if you are looking for yours it was moved....and not deleted.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, dgbot and 3 others like this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

One thing we havent talked about and really should is how to make these blanks if you are not fortunate enough to own a laser cutter.  As most dont have one I can only imagine that blanks of any design and those similar to ours would be carefully cut out on a scroll saw.  I cant see any other way but I wonder if a certain blade is better and if there are any other techniques and tips.  How does one do this without having such tiny pieces break at some point....

Just wait til you get them for those who have already ordered them...imagine cutting those on a scroll saw....lets talk about how best to do that or if there are any people who have done it, please share how you did it .  Maybe mount it between two thin boards to make it thicker and give it strength...just a guess???

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, dgbot and 4 others like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

I've fiddled with the scroll saw, blades, and woods before I got my laser.   I was able to do 1/32" boxwood with a jeweler's saw blade in the scroll saw and very slow speed.  Not well as my eyes wouldn't allow the minute cuts, but it did cut and I didn't go very small like carvings would require.  I would think that cutting oversize or even sandwiching the blank onto a piece of sacrificial wood would work.  I've seen something like that around here, wheel making perhaps?  Separate after cutting and put the cut blank on another slab for carving.

• WackoWolf, dgbot, Modeler12 and 3 others like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Chuck and the rest of the team,

thanks for this really helpful topic and groupbuild. I've downloaded the order form today.

Do you like to offer the drawings of the small barque later? Or is another groupbuild planned? I think it will be really nice to show the finished carvings on the real model.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, dgbot and 1 other like this

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Thanks

The small barge is a project I am working on that will become a kit.  So yes,  you can build it once I complete it......but it will be a while.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

Traditional Celtic Viking tattoo designs show where one knot work goes beneath another via shadows. The line that goes above is clear and sharp while the line beneath has shadows to represent depth. Attached you will see a photo that serves a dual purpose. It will show neat lines and shadowed depth areas while at the same time give people ideas for Viking longboat carving.

Ray

The picture you showed, Ray, is indeed impressive but I don't think it represents a carved piece of wood. It is a drawing and to 'shade' carved wood would be redundant. The following is probably more in line with what we are trying to accomplish here. The 'stop cuts' and deep relief carving are very nicely done, in my opinion. viking 1.jpg

Edited by Modeler12, 12 November 2016 - 11:26 PM.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, Uncle Si and 4 others like this

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworl...s-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

WOW

• mtaylor, Uncle Si and Canute like this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.