Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inexpensive powered rope walker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW Australia

While completing my previous build, I was very unhappy with the anchor ropes supplied because they were completely out of scale. After some research I decided to build my own rope walker. It only cost me about $50 AU to make. The main cost was the motor and coupling. Perspex I had left over from another job and the variable speed/on off attachment from my Domanoff Serving Machine proved most useful. Mini bearings were very cheaply sourced from eBay. I have labelled each picture in an attempt to show how it was constructed. I intend to make as many ropes as possible for my current build - Caldercraft's Bounty when the time comes. Hope somebody gets some ideas from this post.

Cheers

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Main 2.JPG
  • Motor.JPG
  • Main.JPG
  • Rope.JPG
  • Track.JPG
  • Joiner.jpg
  • counter balance.JPG
  • Sled 2.JPG
  • Sled 1.JPG

• Ryland Craze, wefalck, mtaylor and 26 others like this

Hornet

Current Build: - Caldercraft - HMAV Bounty

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

On the shelf awaiting construction: - Caldercraft  - HM Bark Endeavour 

Brian the extraordinaire

Brian the extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationAustralia

excellent work Hornet.  Do you do orders for locals ? 

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, hornet and 2 others like this

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
Ha Ha Brian. Building one was enough. ;)

Cheers
Steve

Edited by hornet, 22 October 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• mtaylor, Altduck, Canute and 1 other like this

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Brian the extraordinaire

Brian the extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationAustralia

no no, just want ropes, not the machine brother....

• mtaylor, hornet, Altduck and 2 others like this

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
Nah Brian, I'll leave the commercial side of things to others who are much more qualified than I. I've got lots of great ideas from this site so I'm just sharing an idea that may spark others to create something similar - or better - for their own use. :)

Cheers
Steve.
  • mtaylor, WackoWolf, Brian the extraordinaire and 4 others like this

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Bob Blarney

Bob Blarney
  • Members
  • 181 posts

That's ingenious. 

zoly99sask

zoly99sask
  • Members
  • 655 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon,Canada
Nice!!

Zoltan

Completed :        Armed Virginia Sloop

Completed:         Flyer

Current Build:     Santa Maria - Mantua

Current build:     America's Cup 1930 J Class Enterprise - Amati

My blog: Historic ship models (not completely updated, yet)

Canute

Canute

Engine Stoker 3rd Class

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
Well done, mate.
  • mtaylor, hornet and donrobinson like this

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mark P

Mark P
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationRutland, England

Greetings Hornet;

That is a very clever little set-up!  Congratulations on your ingenuity,  and thanks for sharing this with us.  I think I'll have a go at making something similar.

All the best,

Mark P

• mtaylor, hornet, jud and 2 others like this

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
Thanks Mark.

Post some pics when you've build yours.

Cheers
Steve
  • mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

ca.shipwright

ca.shipwright
  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationMidlothian, Viirginia USA

Hornet,

Well you certainly answered my mechanization question completely. That is a beautiful piece of machinery. I'll have to get into my grandkids Lego box and see what I can find. I do have lots of fishing snap hooks. That rope is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Edited by ca.shipwright, 01 January 2017 - 03:02 PM.

• hornet likes this

ca.shipwright

Michael Zemmel

Midlothian. VA

http://modelshipworl...ight-corel-160/

"Buy all your toys before you retire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.