Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Optical visor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Members
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationConnell, WA

Many of us are using optical visor to get an enlarge view of the work we are doing.

Quite few of them also comes with light of some kind.

My OptiVisor had a bad single bulb, not even led but a regular mini lightbulb, which didn't project much light.

Most of the time I have been using my optivisor without the light, but many times I have been in need of more focused light on the work I am doing.

So, today I removed the light unit and added on with a regular led light used for outdoor use.

Turned out so much better. Now I have the light that the OptiVisor should have had from the beginning.

I used CA gel to attach the light unit.

P1030205.JPG

• mtaylor, cristikc, donfarr and 9 others like this

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per

Ship modeling is a long lesson in patience - Me

It's better to get something done later than never

Denial is futile, MSW is here to stay.

Therapy for Shipaholics

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden

Current: America by Constructo, Harley almost a Harvey , 18th Century Longboat, Solö Ruff

National Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Jaager

Jaager
  • Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

The Optivisor brand now has an add-on LED - 6 bulbs - seed sized - they mount as a frame for the lens.  Are battery powered.

Not significantly heavier and seem to throw a lot of light.  Probably not as much as your rig.

• mtaylor, Altduck, thibaultron and 2 others like this

catopower

catopower
  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Hi Nirvana. OptiVisor is a specific brand of headband magnifiers and it doesn't look at all like the one you have.

The company that makes OptiVisor only makes a single-bulb light add-on, but as Jaager points out, there are third-party add-ons.

In your case, it looks like you found the best solution!

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, Altduck and 2 others like this

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights

South Bay Model Shipwrights

Nautical Research Guild

Current Builds: HMS Victory, 1805; USS Saginaw, 1859 (on hold); Too many miscellaneous projects!

Recent Builds: HMS Alert, 1777 (Card Model)Tosa WasenYakatabune, Japanese Edo Period Pleasure Boat; Hacchoro, Japanese Traditional Fishing Boat; Higaki Kaisen, Japanese Edo Period Transport; 18th C. English Longboat; NY Pilot Boat Mary Taylor, 1850; Privateer Lively, 1813; HMS Fair Rosamond, 1831

tlevine

tlevine
  • Moderators
  • 859 posts
  • LocationIllinois
The six LED add-on light provides good (not great) illumination. However, it is very heavy and causes the headband to tilt significantly to the battery case side.
  • mtaylor and Canute like this

Toni

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Current Build:  HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale

Completed Build: Longboat by tlevine - 1:48 scale
Gallery:  Hannah http://modelshipworl...bum/186-hannah/

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationParis, France

I am short-sighted so I mostly replace my normal glasses with either simple protective glasses or with a pair that has a 3.5x magnification, but I have also one of those visor-type head-band loupes. The protective glasses could be combined with a head-band lamp. I would go for a version that has the lamp and the battery-pack in two different units, i.e. the lamp at the front (obviously) and the battery-pack at the rear. This arrangement would balance the weight, particularly when you work with the head down. The head-band lights and visor-type magnifiers probably cannot be worn at the same time, but perhaps one can cannibalise the former and fit lamp and battery-pack to the latter.

One could even think of making something tailormade oneself, considering how cheap LEDs are these days.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Members
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationConnell, WA
The visor you see in the picture is two products becoming one.
There's very slight weight difference as the led uses one AA battery (better light output) while the original uses two AA batteries.
  • mtaylor, Canute and Johnn18 like this

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per

Ship modeling is a long lesson in patience - Me

It's better to get something done later than never

Denial is futile, MSW is here to stay.

Therapy for Shipaholics

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden

Current: America by Constructo, Harley almost a Harvey , 18th Century Longboat, Solö Ruff

National Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.