Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cleaning model prior staining and painting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dsmith65

dsmith65
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Unfortunate no matter how careful I was, my model has some grime on it from being handled while I was building it.  I've sanded it, and there is still some residual discoloration from me handling it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might clean it some more before I stain it?

Thanks

Don

• thibaultron likes this

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,764 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

What kind of 'grime'? Is it oily in nature? If so, perhaps a little isopropanol (rubbing alcohol)  may lift it. However, if the 'grime' has soaked into the wood, this may be ineffective.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Don,

A while back I happened to pick up a couple of boxes of alcohol wipes for a few dollars. You know, the kind that come in the little foil packs that Dr.s use to wipe your arm before a shot. Now, whenever I see something which needs cleaning I wipe it away before much of anything builds up.

John
  • mtaylor, src, donfarr and 5 others like this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

Jaxboat

Jaxboat
  • Members
  • 368 posts

I use various techniques including: alcohol (IPA > 90%), very fine sanding. 0000steel wool with alcohol. Scraping, etc.  Pre-staining, sealing etc. is a great help.

I will try alcohol wipes, intriguing idea.

Jaxboat

Edited by Jaxboat, 14 November 2016 - 05:26 PM.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

Jaager

Jaager
  • Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

I believe that the swabs are 70% Isopropyl OH.  That is the concentration that is

most harmful to bacteria.  The 91% probably works better for cooling and

as an after shave- if you are a nonsmoker and do not need perfume.

I predict that the cost per volume will weigh heavily against the swabs.

If removing the top layer of the planks does not work out, you could always

drop back and punt:  Stop by Wood Craft - get a packet or two of thin veneer 

with an appropriate grain and cover the soiled planking with a new layer.

If you choose Maple,Birch,or Beech, it can be dyed or stained and sealed before it is

attached.  Just protect the glue surface side with masking tape or painters tape during

the stain and seal steps, not necessary if you dye.  The veneer - you should be able to

cut with scissors and a metal straight edge and #11 blade.

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Yeah Jagger....I guess your right.....for 2 cents a piece (Amazon)...the convenience just isn't worth it. J.
  • mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello Les here. Another option is lacquer thinner. I know its volatile, but I use it in furniture refinishing to remove all sorts of contaminates. Especially oils. Gloves and a ventilated space such as outdoors I would recommend.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.