Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Triton 1/48 by The Learner

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Thanks ALDO, long way to go though!

Hi Guy,

You've done a remarkable work on your Druid and your Triton is coming along beautifully, very neat work on those scarph joints :)

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

This is what I am talking about...From Cap't Rat Fink's Echo cross section build

Attached Files

Edited by the learner, 04 April 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

Guy:

That is included in the keel. The keel and rising wood are NOT separate pieces in the Triton build. We designed the keel to be done with the keel and rising wood all together for ease of building. Remember, the framing and structural details for the Triton build are simplified from what you would see on the actual ship. It is still POF, but not the actual POF like the Echo or Swan class builds.

Russ

sonicmcdude

sonicmcdude
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationKriva Palanka, FYRO Macedonia

Guy I will follow your build! welcome to the Triton family :P

Greetings, Sinan :pirate41:

Build log:TRITON POB 1:72

logo_phpBB.gif

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Thanks russ will go back aln look at the keel drawing.

Guy:

That is included in the keel. The keel and rising wood are NOT separate pieces in the Triton build. We designed the keel to be done with the keel and rising wood all together for ease of building. Remember, the framing and structural details for the Triton build are simplified from what you would see on the actual ship. It is still POF, but not the actual POF like the Echo or Swan class builds.

Russ

Thank you Sinan, Perhaps you will be the one person that will get me through the build!

Guy I will follow your build! welcome to the Triton family :P

• sonicmcdude likes this

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain, The Old Continent

Hello Guy!

When I started this Practicum back in 2011 I did make lots of research and studied the plans and everything. I drawed lots of sketches just to explain myself how the hull would work. Then I realized that we are working with plans that are just for this task. An "easy" way to start with the POF scratch. No rising wood, no filling pieces, no diminishing strakes...

So I made a decision: Stick to the plans. It is up to us to improve them and add more and more details according to our skills.

Believe me, this practicum is far way beyond from where I was especting as a beginer in 2011.

Best wishes.

Daniel.

Attached File  filling pieces limber.jpg   146.87KB   9 downloads

Attached File  filling pieces limber RS.jpg   94.48KB   10 downloads

The sketches are just that. As you can see there´s not rising wood at all. The sketches are some "thinking" and might be wrong . It´s up to the moderators to erase this post.

Edited by harvey1847, 05 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Before the post is erased!

Thanks for the encouragement Russ, I will add the drawings to my files for future refrence. I need to do more research on the rising wood issue.

Edited by the learner, 05 April 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts

Guy:

I would not worry too much about the rising wood issue. If you stick with the drawings, it will work just fine.

Russ

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

I will not worry too much about the rising wood but will definately do a little research on it.

Any way back to the keel, not that I have access to the full set of plans I have started my first re-work! Luckly just some additional cutting back of the fore end of the keel. first picture shows keel as first fabricated and the second picture shows the re-work still needing a little smoothing out. 

first section of keel

Attached File  first section of keel.JPG   76.7KB   4 downloads

keel modified!

Attached File  First section of keel modified.JPG   94.73KB   4 downloads

and I have figured it out

Edited by the learner, 07 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Guy,

I use the upload functuon off MSW. It works just beautyful. Have a look at your last post. Perhaps you've uploaded the pictures twice?

Your first keel section looks good. I would redo the false keel. It seems that you have damaged it during your modification.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum, 07 April 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Christian, Thanks! I just reposted the post and Have figured it out thanks to the posting by Dan Vadas giving clear instructions on "How To"

Either I am up late or you are up early?

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

The false keel damage should not show when the outer piece of the gripe is glued in place.

Guy,

I use the upload functuon off MSW. It works just beautyful. Have a look at your last post. Perhaps you've uploaded the pictures twice?

Your first keel section looks good. I would redo the false keel. It seems that you have damaged it during your modification.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Still figgiting with the stearn deadwood on milling the steps! Have been real busy with the job, have a finish date of April 30th and a lot of work to do to accomplish this. Sorry about not adding any post on my Triton

Edited by the learner, 13 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Have done some additional work on the building board but real busy on my job, will try and post some pictures end of week

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Pete38

Pete38
  • Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationEastview, Kentucky

Guy

We will be here waiting for your progress,  Work has a bad habit of getting in the way like that. I t just make the building time that much more enjoyable. 

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

I discovered that you can print out just a section of a PDF file by using clipboard and only printing out the section selected. Go to edit select take a snapshot click OK on pop-up and select print and it will only show the selected section! click print. I wanted to print only the Stern Deadwood and this scaled out perfectly.

[No copyright plans attached to any posts please - Matrim]

Matrim, does that mean any pictures that have images of the HMS Triton on or in them can not be posted? this post only showed a section of the plan and in no way identified it as to being part of the Triton plan and it was a very useful section that can be used by others as it is not represented separtly in the build plans. I am a little confused but in the future will refrain from taking photos with any of the plans in the background nor will I post any pictures on the plans or parts of plans when I might have questions on a specific section!

Edited by the learner, 06 June 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Guy

We will be here waiting for your progress,  Work has a bad habit of getting in the way like that. I t just make the building time that much more enjoyable. 

Yes I have a deadline for two bathroom remodels that I have to keep and I am behind! so have a lot of time to make up but I have been working on my building board and have prepared the material for the stern deadwood.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Does or has any one drawn the profile lines at each station for the stern deadwood and stern post? I have finally figured out how to mill the upper part but I am not happy with the taper section below. I will go back through the drawing and see what I can find today

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts

You are looking for the amount of taper at each section on the deadwood? I am pretty sure that was not drawn. You will need to eyeball it.

Russ

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Perhaps a decent picture? will keep looking

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.