Triton 1/48 by The Learner

Guy,

I have a gas grill too... Okay, I'm way off topic here.... Soak the wood in water and put it in an old pie tin or make a tin like shape from aluminum foil.  On a two burner grill, put the soaked wood on one burner, put the meat on the other. I usually start the wood a few minutes before the meat to get it smoking.   Yummmy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Guy!

We do not have BBQ here... we make the bbq on the floor at the garden using Quercus robur or holm oak, there´s lots of them arround.

With the chips of wood and I have a few,,, I prefer to recycling them by composting the whole thing with all the leftys of the cooking. Here is a pic of the fashion timbers, the wales, whatever when I was doing the stern.:

post-87-0-56189200-1371153626.jpg

Cheers from Soria (Spain)

Daniel.

I wish I had more time to Barbeque because I do love meat cooked on the barbie (not the doll)!  Mark I will try your method though!

Good news is that I got my bandsaw blade back repaired and had a second one made 6tpi instead of the 4tpi that I had repaired, I am hoping that I can get a smoother cut so back to work we go~

Thanks guys

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Glad to hear the blade is fixed.  And another waiting in the wings.  even better.  We'll let the cooking talk drop and return your log to you. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has any one attached the first two bollard pieces to the stem? There is not enough information on the plans set to answer this question. I have been prusing my other sources,IE books and the best I have came up with is Admiralty Vol I but there are a lot of diffrences to not be able to exactly determin how I would attach and shapt these pieces and they are important to line up the other hawse pieces correctly.

Do I line up the bollard piece with the grove for the planking and what is the height of the top above the stem?

I hope these questions make sense!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Beautiful work on the frames, Guy :)

With regards to your question on the position of the bollard timber, based on TFFM, it appears that its fore edge should line up with the inner border of the rabbet/groove for planking (green arrow) then once close to the stem head/top portion of the stem, its forward edge moves further forward and lines up with the outer border of the rabbet  then continues upward to form the knighthead ( blue drawing).

I measured the 1/48 plans and the top portion of the bollard timber/knighthead is about 22.8mm above the stem head (red arrow/circle).

post-256-0-20227800-1374662716_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

57/64th Ok I will try that and see where it lies. I have yet cut the rabbit on the stem because I was unsure of the shape it this area. 

Tell me about the drawing you are making the measurements from?

Thanks, Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy, the drawing I've shown is the 1/48 scale inboard profile found in the Triton downloads area.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Ok so at 22.8 mm I have the bollard piece set in place.

post-1091-0-36445900-1395983244_thumb.jpg

A little clearer picture.

post-1091-0-76101200-1395983180_thumb.jpg

So my question, does this look appropiate? as you can see I have a void under the bollard piece! do I just ignore this or do I have the wrong shape in the deadwood piece?

post-1091-0-82169200-1395983216_thumb.jpg

My measurement was the same also using Adobe PDF but the drawing does not really show the shape of the bollard head at this point! should I just guess at what the shape is at this point using others drawing or pictures? There is a good picture in the Niad build I could use

Bollard size.pdf

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

That void indeed seems to be a bit of a predicament, Guy.

I decided to juxtapose the MSW Bollard Timber drawing (blue) with the MSW Disposition of Frame (DOF) Plan and Inboard Profile in the hope of solving this predicament, and written below are my findings:

As seen in the picture below (click on pic to enlarge), it appears that the provided bollard timber drawing does not include the knight's head in its composition (encircled in green) and only goes as high as the toptimber height (red arrow). There also seems to be a void (red circle) at the bottom of the bollard but it is not as pronounced.

post-256-0-19959100-1374887525_thumb.jpg

Given the above analysis, my previously provided height of 22.8mm is not applicable since it is meant to be used only if the bollard timber includes the knighthead in its composition as provided for in TFFM.

Based on my retaken measurements, if your bollard timber is based on the MSW Plan, its top should only be 13.64mm high from the stem head so as to coincide with the top-timber height (see picture below):

post-256-0-05598800-1374887887_thumb.jpg

If you already have your keel set up on a baseboard, a more accurate measurement of the top of the bollard timber is 186.53mm from the baseline/bottom of the false keel, as seen in the picture below:

post-256-0-26182300-1374888389_thumb.jpg

Furthermore, since you are aiming for a precise location of the bollard, it should be positioned in such a way that it's fore edge is 7.68mm from the fore edge of the stem:

post-256-0-79504000-1374888540_thumb.jpg

Just a small disclaimer, I am not working on the POF version so I cannot claim that my analysis is 100% accurate, hopefully, someone with a POF build could chime in to verify my findings.

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Well perhaps its not 100%  accurate but it certainly helps! I will have to take a closer look at the drawings and take some more accurate measurements. As for the void it will not show so if I rebuild the fore cant deadwood or anouther build I will make sure that my work is more accurate. If the bollard timbers are suspose to be longer I will recut to allow for the additional meat and length.

Thanks

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Guy :)

...If the bollard timbers are suspose to be longer I will recut to allow for the additional meat and length.

Thanks

Or you could proceed with your current MSW-based bollard then just add the knight's head as a separate piece once the capping rail has been completed.  This may seem like cheating  but, in all honesty, it is much easier to shape the knight's head as a separate piece, and once installed, no one would ever notice  ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

I would, but you are right most people would not see it but if this model is fully rigged is it possible that is there any thing attached to the bollard head that might pull it off. I will have to do a little research on the subject

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 month later...

Very nice start.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 2 weeks later...

juergen, You like me will find time to complete your build. I try to do something on it even if its onel 15 min.  and every one wants to know why it takes so long ...guess they forget about life!

Thanks texxn5

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 month later...

Hey Guy!

Nice to hear from you! Try to work at least one hour a day on her. It worked for me. Sometimes I spend hours in the workshop, but so many days I only spend half an hour or just one. The point is to keep the thing going. It does not really matter if you complete a full frame or just cut four futtocks, if you are "constant" you´ll catch me for sure. I asure you.

Any pics of that honey boos?  Must be a wonderful weather for the bees up there in California!

Best wishes.

Daniel.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy,

Very nice work and I have been following your build and it's gorgeous. I do have a question about your keel, since I'm rebuilding mine. Did you use pins or treenails for the scarf joints and how far from the top of the keel did you place them? Are they below the rabbet or do you plan on cutting it? Thank you.

Again very nice work and look forward to seeing more.

Randall

I used treenails but I suggest that you use copper, see EdT's build of the Niaid on this site or better yet get his books from Seawatch! They will explain all you need to know about nails and iron fittings for your model.

Back from Hawaii, have about 12 more frames to finish and then progress should go much faster as I start attaching them to the keel

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I still have about 15 frames to construct. I am cutting out the patterns to glue on the wood. I still need to cut a couple of additional pieces of board to do this.

I have started attaching frames to the keels!

post-1091-0-68654500-1395982870_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-69456100-1395982901_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-13340600-1395982933_thumb.jpg

As this is the first time that I have constructed a build in this manner the going will be slow. I always have that fear that there will not be enough wood when I start fairing out. As you can see, I have done some fairing on the inside and a little on the outside to accommodate the temporary riband

I will try taking and posting as many pictures as possible to show this progress.

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA