Triton 1/48 by The Learner

• 4 weeks later...

Sanding angle on cant frames, the sander is homemade and way underpowered, but it works slow but sure.

post-1091-0-55016900-1393446266_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-80740200-1393446332_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-23409000-1393446731_thumb.jpg

Lining up and setting cant frame to deadwood

post-1091-0-34667300-1393446978_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-54742800-1393446923_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-42447200-1393447074_thumb.jpg

Two more cant frames and I can start the bollards and hawse construction

Progressing! couple more years and I will have it done

post-1091-0-22797400-1393446464_thumb.jpg

I have anouther project that I am working on so I am dividing time between them

post-1091-0-05501200-1393447793_thumb.jpg

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Nice progress Learner. I can't wait to see more photos.  :)

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Progressing! couple more years and I will have it done

:D :D :D :D :D !!!

I doubt it Guy. With that ribband method and the squares to set the fore cant frames you are saving lots of time... I "spent" lot of time building the stern and stem jigs. On next projects I will go your way, a base board and lots of square sets.

what is the other building you are working on?!

Best wishes Guy!

daniel.

Guess I am an eyeball person, it’s the wantabe artist in me....not all things come out perfect but I can usually manage to make them look good. The jig is probably the best way to go and the extra time is well spent!  but the thickness of the frame where it rest on the jig must be accurate unless you allow for extra material for the frame in the jig.

Harvey on your last question...I will post the build once I start it

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Looks really good. Well done

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks Guys

Christian your cutter is progressing well

Ben! the cant frames are actually very easy to install but just one at the time, as they are difficult to clamp except with the fingers! I actually thought of gluing a small angled piece of wood onto the frame and deadwood to assist the clamping

post-1091-0-20578200-1393605161_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Some more pictures!

post-1091-0-16362200-1393864756_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-39913500-1393864445_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-91076200-1393864666_thumb.jpg

At this point I have to mill some more wood for frames. I have already printed out and cut up the patterns.

This process is comming along quite nicely and I am enjoying it :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 3 weeks later...

:D I have just cut out the patterns for the last 9-10 frames and pasted them on the wood, in the next couple of days I will cut them up and assemble the remaining frames, then on to the hawse pieces. I think then if I am not going to plank over the stern area, I might go back and rework some of the timbers there.....we'll see

sorry no pictures! when I have all the frames sitting on the keel I will take one.

Not much activity on this thread, every one must be getting ready for spring cleaning!! :10_1_10:

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,

Finally, a long overdue visit to check out your build.  Looking good.  Gluing those cant frames is always a challenge.

Ed

Thanks Ed! but only you are an expert at it, but my desire. Nice to have you visit our post!

Have to mill out one more billet of wood to make the last couple of frames. keeping track of all the frames can be confusing as I cut out several frames that I already had made up! so I used up more wood than I thought I would need. The best part I can cut down more pieces to the thickness I need here instead of sending out for additional wood billets from some one else

AlsoI have nevergotten a response from and earlier post, should I be adding filler on the keel between the floor frames?

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

should I be adding filler on the keel between the floor frames?

Hello Guy!

I am not adding or filling that space between the top of keel and the bottom of the keelson. We do not have a water line plan for the filling of the frames to make the water go to the limber. Maybe on another project with single frames like the Naiad or others.

Still not working, just drawing and cutting some parts to make the wales...

Best wishes!

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel for the response! so its a personal choice then,,perhaps I will add filling after the hull framing is finished depending on the amount of planking I do.

Added 4/10/14.

I have concluded that the filling timber should have been cut and added as the frames were installed giving more a more accurate spacing of the frames on the keel.....Oh well next build

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed my foward cant frames but the outboard lower shape does not seem right? I seem to remember something about some of the frames being out of shape in past threads is this so and how was it corrected? it would cover at least the foward 4 or 5 frames.

I will go back and re read but would like to know if this is a error that needs to be corrected!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 weeks later...

post-1091-0-77112300-1398869370_thumb.jpg

Jaerschen, sorry for the delay but work comes first!  Above is a pictureof the fwd cant frames. I was a little concerned about the shape but both sides are the same and it looks ok so it appears I am going with this

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

The frames that are thought to be incorrect are 26 through 28. But at the moment from where my model sits it looks like it just needs to be sanded properly. Only after sanding will I be able to tell for sure.

Richard

So some more pictures...I have been busy on a job but try to work a bit every day on the Triton.

post-1091-0-13342900-1399051377_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-08123800-1399051265_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-55973700-1399051011_thumb.jpg

I am pretty much at this point fairing the inside, adjusting frames and adding the gunport sills.

Here I am fairing the inside using and old plane iron both ends work well.

post-1091-0-12410200-1399051096_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-86827600-1399051165_thumb.jpg

Measuring the sill height from the frame plan I printed our and taped together, the rueler across the bottom in my Drywall T

post-1091-0-38357700-1399051506_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-95770200-1399050869_thumb.jpg

I need to put a new outside support (riban) for the frames then I will start build the lower deck

To be continued:

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I agree that those stern cants will sand out fine if most of the sanding is done from the outside in that area. The original complaint was a bulge but the more I examine it the more it looks like incorrect sanding was the culprit. Knowing this ahead of time is going to help a lot.

Richard

I have attached a riban around both sides and will now be removing all the other scrap pieces that I have glued on the outside to support the frame, then finish the gun ports and start the lower deck perhaps by the end of this comming week.

Pictures to follow

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA