Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kits with good instructions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

-Mike-

-Mike-
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPhetchabun, Thailand

I'm hearing good things about Maristella and Dusek.  

Apologies to Del2 for a minor hijack here but I wanted to respond to Mark's comment.

Mark, you have unwittingly made my day!

About 25 years ago I built my first wood kit - Billings Etoile. Life then got in the way and it was only a few years back that I could get back into it. I wanted to have another go at the Etoile as I felt I could do a better job than originally but sadly Billings had discontinued the kit.

I confess that I was unaware of either Marisstella or Dusek so I popped over to look at their websites and what do I find on the front page of Dusek's site but a ship called La Belle Poule - sister ship to Etoile  :D 

That's my next build sorted - thanks, even if it was unintentional.

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this

Mike

When all else fails - read the instructions.

current build

Model Shipways    Flying Fish

completed

Billings   L'Etoile (1996)

Billings   Mary Ann (2012)

Occre     Brig Aurora (2013)

AL          J.S.Elcano (2014)

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,236 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Mike,

I'm glad I was able to help...  :)

• -Mike-, thibaultron and Canute like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

paulv1958

paulv1958
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBerwick, Australia

Hi

How about creating a list of bad instruction kits to avoid unless you have masochistic tendencies.  Does the MSW Ship kit DB include this info. I know that it may PO some manufacturers but if they are not prepared to FIX things then perhaps they should be singled out so that potential builders are aware. I keep seeing what is a good first ship or kits with good instructions? forum entries, but there is NOT a Pinned BAD or POOR list ( not talking about the clone companies, but the real ones that can't be bothered fixing things of have a "you bought the dam thing, you should know how to build it attitude ) or avoid this unless you have lots & lots of experience.

I agree that no kit is easy, it would be boring if that were the case, but a couple of AL kits hat I have done recently stop the instructions midway and say just look at the pictures 28-80 & plans( a single image drawing) to complete the kit !!!! ( not funny) There should be NO need to obtain a 3rd party practicum just to finish a kit. Fair enough if you want to enhance or refine the kit, but not for basic use.

Perhaps we could come up with the definitions of what constitutes good instructions for a beginner, intermediate & Advanced ( The Advanced Calder craft Victory has awesome kit build info & plans so there is no excuse for a poorly documented kit no matter the complexity) , and then rate the info per kit!

The info may already be here, but there is no easy way to find it.

Modeling should  be fun( unless you consider brain implosion fun) not a never finish nightmare

Edited by paulv1958, 04 January 2017 - 02:15 PM.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 2 others like this

Paul V

Current Build:
Pending.... xmas

Completed Builds :
HM Bark Endeavour  Caldercraft
Panart Between decks

HMB Endeavour Longboat AL 1:50 Small Boat

San Juan S.XVI GALLEON AL

OH Hold:

HMS Victory Cross Section Corel 1:96( on hold)

On Shelf:

Occre Xbec

AL Santa Ana 1784

Caldercraft HMS Victory

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Hi

How about creating a list of bad instruction kits to avoid unless you have masochistic tendencies.  Does the MSW Ship kit DB include this info. I know that it may PO some manufacturers but if they are not prepared to FIX things then perhaps they should be singled out so that potential builders are aware. I keep seeing what is a good first ship or kits with good instructions? forum entries, but there is NOT a Pinned BAD or POOR list

Perhaps we could come up with the definitions of what constitutes good instructions for a beginner, intermediate & Advanced ( The Advanced Calder craft Victory has awesome kit build info & plans so there is no excuse for a poorly documented kit no matter the complexity) , and then rate the info per kit!

You don't need a bad list you just need to score all kit plans and have that in the kit DB. It seems pretty obvious, I haven't looked at the DB but I would be surprised if they didn't already have that info since it's a very important parameter defining what kit is like.

If it hasn't been done then yes it should be done and the correct approach is what you are saying, define requirements for excellent instructions for each skill level and then subtract from the maximum possible value for each requirement not fully met or not met at all. And a 1-5 rating range is enough granularity for something like this.

Then we'll need to socialize your plan and identify any asks from external groups, line up initial planning and grooming sessions with the stakeholders, and get the PMO office to designate a TPM to execute against that plan once we have consensus on the action items, milestones, and timeline. Let's have a kickoff call with US, India, and Singapore ASAP.

Yes I do work in Silicon Valley, why do you ask?

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.