Advice for a Second Build

Worldway

My first build is the Mare Nostrum.  I am still in the early stages but have been thinking about my next build.  The Mare Nostrum has provided me with some challenges but so far I think I am working through them quite well (others may disagree).  It has all the elements that one would expect with planking, some rigging, etc.  So, because Christmas is fast approaching, and the Admiral wants a wish list from me I was considering the Bluenose II by Model Shipways.  I thought of it because firstly the ship is a Canadian icon and secondly Model Shipways probably has one of the best set of instructions out there.

I would like to hear your thoughts.  Keep in mind, by the time I finish the Mare Nostrum I will still be a novice. But I can't see any other models out there that would be good for a beginner without going to a solid hull and I don't want to do that.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well, I disagree that Bluenose is the only suitable option, but it is a fine kit, and the hull shape and rigging are both considered beginner-friendly. If it's a ship you really like, then I think that kit is within your realm of doability.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I see a lot of Armed Virginia Sloops from Model ship ways as a beginner build.

An excellent choice for very minimal rigging would be a longboat HMS Bounty longboat maybe.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Until tommorow Model Expo has the Blue Nose for $99.99. It is on back order at the moment. The model is of the original Blue Nose, not the reproduction II.

I've attached a screen shot of the ad they sent me. They are presently listing it a $140, not the $220 they show in the add.

post-10090-0-54680200-1479563468_thumb.jpg

Greeetings,

I am up to rigging of my HMB Endeavour and see that this is going to be a lot of very tedious close work (URL in my signiture block below). I am going to start another kit and work on it going back and forth to use some macro skills while I rig the Endeavour. I have both the  Niagara and Syren from MS and have followed the build logs for both here on MSW. I see both have rows of carronades. Are there any other major differences worth noting other than moderator Chuck Pisarro's fantastic Syren design and instruction manual?

Thanks

thibaultron​,

I did order the model last week, before I saw your post.  However, I didn't see any mention of a sale or discount even though I looked around on their site first.  So I called them today but got voice mail and never a call back.  Hopefully they will honor the sale price.

Thanks for the lead.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

See my ad in sellers forum if you want immediate delivery.

Just to update, I got off the phone with Model Expo. they said he would honour the sale price of $99.99.  Thanks for the heads up Thibaultron.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds