Another third hand

I have really enjoyed working with the third hand clamping fixture that I took the day off work and made a new one from the proverbial scrap box. I am also going to link to all the other small clamping devices clamps and fixtures for holding small parts. I know that the forum is well organized by sections I just wanted to get the clamp threads linked into one place to save having to scroll through all the 26 pages of the tool section.

I used some old legs from a tripod, A bit of blue anodized aluminum tube left over from a project. a scrap of spalted maple that I have had hanging around for years. some " O" rings for gripping the brass locking nuts. The blue tube and the tripod leg parts are a slide fit and by pushing them offset with the o ring nuts the units lock onto the scrap of 3/8th drill rod. The holes in the brass bars are the same as on the other third hand that i made a couple of weeks ago.

post-202-0-93043000-1480132658_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-14854600-1480132690_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-85686800-1480132726_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-81667900-1480132751_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90562100-1480132768_thumb.jpg

Now for the links to the other ones I found in the 26 pages of tools

A third hand for high places

Holding tool for small parts 

Clamp for holding rope for splicing

make your own clamps

Clamps and old trick revisited

Preac clamps

Homemade Mini clamps

Another type of clamp

Cheap keel clamp

Tilt a whirl positioning fixture

small wooden clamps

I hope this helps.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great idea and beautiful execution.

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

Thanks for the positive comments, I mentioned in the restoration thread that i would add the PDF of the way that the blue post clamps to the horizontal bar. here it is.

new soldering tool.pdf

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks again Michael; I missed this otherwise would not have cluttered you log as much :)

This looks a very usable and ergonomic solution.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I should have just posted this here.

Jim thanks for the compliment

post-202-0-44235500-1480298397_thumb.jpg

The tool is made from stock wooden dowel 

1 x 3/4 x 3 1/2 long

2 x 3/4 x 2 1/2 long

1 x 1/2 x 8 long

2 x 1/2 x 2 1/2 long

2 x 3/8 x 2 long

6 off 8 x 32 x 3/4 long round head machine screws

1 off 8 x 32 x 1 long round head machine screws

7 off 8 x 32 brass thumb nuts

1 piece wood for base, mine is 8 x 4 1/2 x 3/4  oak

The top clamp arms do not have the second rotation but for most tasks this would not be an issue there is still lots of control, and on my one I ran out of brass thumb nuts so I had to use different nut on the base post, and the 8 x 32 round head screws are reversed on one side to show that it can be done without the brass thumb nuts.

basically the screws are threaded in from the bottom with the clearance hole on the top so that the brass thumb screw presses the top half of the dowel down.  without the thumb nuts the machine screw pulls down the wood.

post-202-0-82218800-1480299259.jpg

post-202-0-27281400-1480299304.jpg

post-202-0-11199500-1480299732.jpg

pdf.gif  wood third hand tool.pdf   287.75KB   0 downloads

So I hope that this information is useful to those who want to make one for themselves The only machine tool I used was a drill press to drill all the holes, this could have been accomplished with a good hand drill

hand tools included a small back saw

a hack saw

a thin file

an 8 x 32 second tap

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Now that's a great tool, Micheal.   I'm thinking it could also be made out of brass.  :)    Gotta' go dig out my brass rod and see if I have enough.  B)  Thanks for designing and building this and sharing the plans.  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Michael, excellent job.

Nice to see that you share the plans.

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

The simple inexpensive third hand is good but I just could not leave it there. I had to try a few more Ideas. A couple of different ways to clamp the parts together without marring any finishes, using split nuts etc.

Castello, Padouk, Ebony,  Fiddleback Maple, Brass, and Blued steel

post-202-0-41454600-1480533114_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03521800-1480533132_thumb.jpg

This one is strictly for rope rigging tasks.

Michael

Tools and works of art at the same time.   Beautifully done, Michael.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished a pair of third hands for a local Jeweler.

post-202-0-40503800-1482133303_thumb.jpg

This design is one I am thinking about making to sell. It has one pair of spring clamps and a single toolmakers type, but only if there is an interest. It is a lot of work to set up to manufacture a product as some of you are already aware. If this does become a go they will only be made to order.

The bottom plate is 6 inch diameter 6061 aluminum alloy, the bottom bar is 10 inches long blued 3/8 tool steel

Uprights are 1/2 diam brass side thumb screws are 8x32 top and bottom thumb screws are 1/4 x 28 replaceable tips in the spring clamps are 1/8th tool steel.

If anyone is interested send me a pm they will cost a few pennies.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

• 1 month later...