Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MSW GoTo Last Viewed Button Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Hi, anyone else experiencing this?

Having just fixed my editor issue I am now having problems with the blue dot to the left of forum topics.  If i click on the dot it starts downloading the page rather than taking me to the last unread post.  I have yet to check if this happens with the star for topics I have responded in.

I am using Win10 OS with Google Chrome browser - have either of these, or MSW, made some recent updates that might create this issue?

cheers

Pat

• mtaylor likes this

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

Try it with another browser. I do get the last unread post, on all browsers I use

• mtaylor likes this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

I'm not seeing it here with IE, Chrome or Firefox... but Win7.   Try your Edge and see what it does, Pat.

• cog likes this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts

Thanks Mark and Cog, this has just started for me and I am beginning to fear it is related to a File Explorer replacement I have just added - I wish all these programmes would just play nicely in the same sandpit!

I am using Chrome and it had been very stable for me until this.

cheers

Pat

• cog and mtaylor like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts

Hi folks - as it turns out this is NOT a MSW problem but rather an issue (fairly common) with Chrome.  I am surprised Google hasn't fixed it yet as it appears it has been known for a while.

cheers

Pat

[Edit - should have mentioned (and thanked) Cog for identifying and helping resolve this for me]

Edited by BANYAN, 28 November 2016 - 12:44 AM.

• mtaylor likes this

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

What was the resolution Pat?  I have been on vacation/sick for the last few weeks and my Chrome is doing this on the forum now also.  Only this forum, no others that I use.

Thanks!

• mtaylor and Canute like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts

Hi Gunther,

Comments in other user forums (re Chrome) indicate it is getting more prevalent; some report it in Trip Advisor and other sites also.  talking to someone who knows their way around PCs suggests this is an issue between Win10 and Chrome taking effect in some forums.

I have heard nothing from MSW Admin etc whether they have reported the issues to Google/MS and it seems Google/MS are doing nothing (that I have found anyway).  There is nothing physically MSW can do to fix it I think; but using their voice through the software they use, Googgle would be more likely to listen than to minor users like us :)  I don't know whether the time out problem is related but it all seems to have started with one of the recent Win10 updates.  

At the moment I am muddling through by ignoring the links in the notifications drop-down list, and not using the buttons (Dot or Star) to the left of each topic as these seem to be the only items affecting/causing the issue.  it makes things slower as I use the star as an indicator of a new reply/post and then click on the last page link for that topic.  You have to scroll down to read but at least you can access it,

A real 'pain' and if there is nothing done about it soon I think Google will be losing some users?

cheers

Pat

• mtaylor, Jack12477 and Canute like this

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,206 posts

As a software engineer, I presume, this malfunction should be brought to the attention of the developers/company from the software. However, that should be done by the licensed party, in this case MSW. Then it can be dealt with. I'm still lucky, I run Windows 7, and not yet troubled by it, but who knows how long that will be ...

Cheers

• mtaylor, BANYAN, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Kit Plastic

Finished builds

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

Feel free to raise an issue with either company, after all you have the replication steps.   The more people who raise it (or select 'me to' in microsofts case) then the more chance it will get addressed. Numbers count more here than a 3rd party reporting someone else's error.

I would suggest one of you raises issues with the relevant forums and then posts the topic address here so anyone else who is keen on a fix can bump it.  If no one else is keen on a fix then there is not much impetus for the source of the issue to correct it.

As an aside my pc is windows 10 and I am using firefox and the problem does not occur.

• trippwj, cog, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

mine is doing the same thing now, after clicking on the blue button for the first time ever. I have win10 and am using Chrome, I switched over to M.E.(bing) and am having same issues there too.

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,206 posts

For Chrome see: https://support.goog...wer/95315?hl=en

The developer company: https://invisionpower.com/

Have fun

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Kit Plastic

Finished builds

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

It's been reported on Google/Chrome support forums but no resolution has been posted.  This began when Chrome made an update as the "Show all downloads" page in Chrome made a format change at the same time this began, so I'm pretty confident that it's a Google/Chrome issue, not a MS issue (at least in my case).

Regardless, Google support is aware of the issue as I was reading the thread on their support forum on this very thing, but it doesn't appear that they know what the cause is currently, or at least not in that support thread.

• cog, mtaylor, Matrim and 1 other like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts

Great feedback guys, thanks.  

Matrim, as soon as I have my PC back and reloaded (due to numerous Win10 BSODs) I will raise a query in a forum (perhaps one of those linked) if it is still required.  If Google are aware of it, finally doing something about it, I live in hope :)

[Edit: Matrim et al, I hope that MSW will also do their bit?  I am on another device at the moment (laptop) and ditto the issue.  So there is little requirement about replication - I think there is enough evidence here alone that it is not isolated to one or two individuals.]  

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN, 15 December 2016 - 09:30 PM.

• cog, mtaylor, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Lately, MS has become more reticent about their patches on all versions of Windows.  They've rolled the patches into one "master patch" and it hits everyone with only the relevant patches being installed.   They also are becoming very quiet about problems with the patches.  There was a patch recently for Win8 and higher that trashed DHCP (which is what gets you to places like MSW, etc) and they were silent.  There's suggestion was to "visit the support forum"  but since people couldn't get on.. they didn't know or couldn't visit the site.   The slipped out the fix on Tuesday very quietly as it was buried in the master patch.  

Curses and poxes upon them.

• cog, BANYAN, Jack12477 and 2 others like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Just as an FYI, this has magically resolved itself.  Not sure what updated (my guess is Chrome), but I'm now able to click on the next unread post icon and it works.

Maybe now I'll be able to start catching up with over a month's backlog of reading here!

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,954 posts

Same here Gunther; I was holding off on updating this post for another couple of days to see if the fix stick this time; it seems to have.  I also think it may have been Chrome but who knows; they seem to sneak these updates in.

Thanks for the post.

cheers

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.