Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Miniature Hand Tools

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Julie Mo

Julie Mo
  • Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCharlotte County Florida

When I purchased L-N modeling and violin planes I thought that was as small as I was going to get in good quality hand tools.  I recently received a Lee Valley Christmas catalog and in it I saw they have miniature hand tools.  The mini chisels use their high quality PM-V11 steel.

Has anyone tried any of these mini tools?  If so, what do you think?

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, WackoWolf and 12 others like this

Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

usedtosail

usedtosail

Trying hard

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationNorth Reading, MA

I have these small chisels but have used them only a few times. For what I needed them for, they worked well. I also have the small plane which I love and use all the time.

• mtaylor, donfarr, Vince P. and 6 others like this

- Tom -

Current Build: Model Shipways Constitution

Next in Line: Billings Half Moon or Dumas 1938 Cris Craft

Completed: MS Bounty LaunchHMS Beagle - highly bashed Mamoli kit using Anatomy of Ship book,

Santisima Trinidad Cross Section, Dapper Tom, Sultana, Phantom

Member: Nautical Research Guild 

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Hi Julie, Have used their minature chisels and planes, use them constantly they are excelent, but need honing now and then. HOPE THIS HELPS Don

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, thibaultron and 4 others like this

Mike Y

Mike Y
  • Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

They are one of my main tools (that chisels and a miniature block plane), I use them more or less every time I work on the model.

Foto 2016-11-27 15 47 18.jpg

I am super happy with them! It is a nice tool and a very high quality metal, sharping is quite rare. Both are pretty sharp just out of the box.

Now I know how good tools look like :)

The only nuance to keep in mind - due to the size, you can't use any full-size honing guide. So either you need to make a guide yourself (block of wood, etc), or use this one: http://richardkell.c.../honingECom.htm (guide #1)

honingGuide1.jpg

The guide seems to be available in US as well, just google. First result: http://www.garrettwa...-guides-gp.html

Edited by Mike Y, 07 December 2016 - 09:16 PM.

• cog, mtaylor, michael mott and 12 others like this

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I have there planes and love them, like people say you get what you pay for. Lee Valley tools are a good investment.

• mtaylor, michael mott, CaptainSteve and 7 others like this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

I also have their chisels and the full set of miniature planes and they are excellent - also have the Kell chisel guide from Garrett Wade and use it a lot on my smaller chisels.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, edmay and 5 others like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Kurt J

Kurt J
  • Members
  • 173 posts
I have the chisels, bench and block planes, and the spoke shave and cabinet scraper. They're really beautiful and just like thir big brothers. I love well made tools and these are. I have 2 Ibex luthier planes also. What could be cooler than doing miniature woodwork with miniature tools? I contantly search for miniature tools but there is not much out there.

Kurt
  • mtaylor, WackoWolf, cristikc and 6 others like this

Julie Mo

Julie Mo
  • Members
  • 422 posts

Thank you!  The reviews are better than expected.  Now maybe I can make up a Christmas list and someone will see it.  :rolleyes:

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, donfarr and 4 others like this

Crowe

Crowe
  • Members
  • 28 posts

I have all the planes except for the edger. they are real tools and the router plane has changed everything for me. I did have an issue with the block plane, just don"t tighten the locking knob too much and your ok. If you really sharpen the irons they will make incredible shavings. I'm not a fan of the chisels

• mtaylor, donfarr, Altduck and 5 others like this

Kurt J

Kurt J
  • Members
  • 173 posts
What are you doing with the router plane?
  • mtaylor, Altduck, thibaultron and 4 others like this

Crowe

Crowe
  • Members
  • 28 posts

I am getting nice consistent depths on deck beam cuts such as for fitting to ledges. Staying consistent on a curved surface is difficult and the router plane follows it easily. In the past I would have used a chisel and saw but it is tough to stay true. the router does this and any other dado or slot has as a proper depth.I have been replacing all my 'modelling tools' with real woodworking tools, though they are small they perform as the full size tool does

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, donfarr and 7 others like this

Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Canada

I LUST after their mini chisels and plane. :)  C $100 if I bought both though so this is one of those "I will have to save up" things.

Edited by Sunsanvil, 16 December 2016 - 12:20 PM.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, CaptainSteve and 7 others like this

Julie Mo

Julie Mo
  • Members
  • 422 posts

No one has asked me for my Christmas List yet.  The mini tools are the only thing on it.  I was taught it's inappropriate to "accidentally" drop your Christmas List. :rolleyes:  

The big day is closing in and my diabolical mind has run out of list dropping ideas. 

• mtaylor, Cap'n'Bob, donfarr and 5 others like this

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Maybe Santa is telepathic !  ;) After all he does know if you've been naughty or nice ! Right ! ;) ;) ;) ;)

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, tasmanian and 3 others like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

reklein

reklein
  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • LocationLewiston Idaho

Those are nice little tools ,but the handles need to be regular size in order to get proper leverage and manipulation. Lee Valley does make nice stuff.

• mtaylor, edmay, Altduck and 3 others like this

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Yes They sure do, time to buy more. Don

• mtaylor, edmay, Altduck and 2 others like this

Haliburton

Haliburton
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHalton Region, Ontario, Canada
One way to get these miniature tools on Santa's radar is to add his email address to the Lee Valley email updates. The mini-tools are one of the featured items on the main website!
  • mtaylor, gjdale, Altduck and 3 others like this

Q A's Revenge

Q A's Revenge
  • Members
  • 497 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK
Is this bench plane on anyone's Christmas list?!

https://www.classich...ew-Veritas.html
  • mtaylor, donfarr, Canute and 2 others like this

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Wasn't on mine, but I just bought one

• mtaylor, donfarr, Landlubber Mike and 4 others like this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Roger Pellett

Roger Pellett
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDuluth, MN
The chisels are finely crafted tools, but I don't see the point. The chisels are not miniature in width. Unless I am missing something they are offered in standard widths- 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 in. As reklein points out the small handles make them awkward to use ( at least for old guys like me) lengthen the handles and they're just short shanked full sized chisels.

Can anyone explain?

Roger
  • mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.