Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Miniature Hand Tools

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

lehmann

lehmann
  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

The attached photo shows a set of miniature spoke shaves that I do find useful. They are gripped between the thumb and forefinger- both hands and pushed or pulled. I bought them in 1965'after seeing them used by professional model builders at the University of Michigan''s Naval Architecture Towing Tank. I believe that the set cost less than $5. They are no longer available new but occasionally show up on EBay. 

Roger

Roger,

They are available from Lee Valley.... http://www.leevalley...681&cat=1,50230.  Now,  $36 CDN, though.  I have the set and they're very nice.  I bought these instead of LV's miniature spoke shave.

• thibaultron, Canute and Roger Pellett like this

Bruce

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale
  • Member Nautical Research Society

Crowe

Crowe
  • Members
  • 28 posts

I had a hard time getting a really good edge on the LV bronze spokeshaves. But the one from the minature LV .set is great steel and takes a great edge. I can use it with one hand in very tight quarters.

• WackoWolf, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

biltut

biltut
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

I own all of these planes and I am amazed at how much I use them, not only for model work but for fine detail on cabinets and furniture construction.  I am spoiled by the use of the Veritas sharpening jig.  Has anyone found a simple way to get the right angle when sharpening these other that a simple block of wedged shaped wood to use as a guide.  I am obsessive about sharp plane blades and use the Shapton Ceramic stones for all of my sharpening needs.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, Mike Y and 4 others like this

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 79 posts

I too have bought several of the miniature tools and also use them... but in my opinion, cool as they are, the better option for basic small scale planing is their detail palm planes. They are planing an area around the size of their miniature bench plane, have an adjustable-length palm rest that should fit hands big and small, and I find I have more control and can go faster than I can with the straight miniaturized bench and block plane. And they have scrubbing irons for cases of difficult grain.

I have the flat and the double-concave, don't see enough of a use for other two.

05p9001s02.jpg

05p9001s03.jpg

05p9001s06.jpg05p9001s05.jpg05p9001s04.jpg

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, tkay11 and 8 others like this

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Those look nice, will have to check into them more. Thanks for posting the pictures.

• mtaylor and CaptainSteve like this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Julie Mo

Julie Mo
  • Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCharlotte County Florida

I have the L-N convex sole block plane

thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

It acts in the same way as the Veritas palm planes but is a bit larger.  I haven't yet found a use for it in model making but I have used it for carving out the hip relief on solid body guitars. 

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, biltut and 1 other like this

Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

biltut

biltut
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Julie,

I like these planes but I am a fanatic about sharpening.  Are you real good at sharpening these?  and are there any tricks?

• mtaylor likes this

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 79 posts

I have the L-N convex sole block plane

thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

It acts in the same way as the Veritas palm planes but is a bit larger.  I haven't yet found a use for it in model making but I have used it for carving out the hip relief on solid body guitars. 

I have the flat version of this plane and agree it's excellent, but then again it's Lie-Nielson and everything they make is extremely good. However as Julie says, not sure of the use for models, if so it would only be on the very large ships and even then you're going to want super-straight grain that's oriented the same way on every plank, otherwise bad things will happen. If you want to go bigger than the Lee Valley micro planes, I'd recommend the small scraper plane from Veritas, sharpened well it can still remove material pretty quickly but it's a scraper plane, so no tearout. I think it should have a heavier iron than it does but it still works reasonably well.

• mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.