any advice which manf. has the best quality wood kit for USS Constitution?

sailordori

I'm new to this site, I am a return builder of model ships. As a kid 14 to 18 I build the plastic version USS United States and the plastic version of the USS Constitution.  Through the years between children and animals they were both destroyed. Now I'm 49 with wood working experience and want to try and build a wood version of the USS Constitution. Does anyone have advice on where is the best place to purchase a kit that has the best quality and good instructions. Seems when I find one on line it always fully assembled.  Also any advise on tools? If you had to pick one tool you wish you had or glad you have what is it? Hope you all can help give me a jump start it's been a long time.

Welcome back to our crazy world.  I have studied many different kits, and I believe if I were to build this model I would choose the Model Shipways Constitution.  Depending on your skills you can really build a very nice replication of this famous ship.  There is also a lot of help available on this site.  As for tools, I'm a bit prejudiced as I am a Proxxon Dealer.  I truly believe no matter what brand that the DB-250 Lathe and accessories is a must for ship building.  I offer a combo deal on my website for the small wood lathe and all accessories.  Not trying to sell - just advising.  PM me for more information or check the website.

John

http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I would agree with John ... mostly.

The Model Shipways kit can build into a very, very nice model (see XKen, among others). But it is not for the faint-hearted. For myself, a so-so builder with a couple of builds behind me, whilst I find the MS plans to be better-than-excellent, the near total lack of any step-by-step instructions has meant a great deal of head-scratching and hand-wringing.

Check-out the Caldercraft Bluejacket version before you make up your mind.

I also agree with John about the Proxxon tools .... I very nearly have the whole set.

EDIT: Mark, I do believe you are right !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

And there's the Bluejacket version....  It to makes an excellent model.

Steve, I didn't know Caldercraft made a Constitution....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To my knowledge the only Constitution kits out there are Model shipways (probably the best), Bluejacket (if you want an 1812 incarnation), Constructo (not a fan of their kits) the old Mamoli kit, and the Mantua kit which I know nothing about.

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

As with any kit, the woods are not much beyond the basic basswood/lime and sometimes walnut, sappelle, etc.    What many do, is buy the kit and then replace the wood from a place like Crown Timbers, Wood Project Source. or The Lumberyard. (in the USA).  There's other sources for woods.  See the first three pinned topics here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/20-wood-discussion/

Dusek Models is the only one I'm aware of that offers upgrades on the wood (front page, lower right... sponsors).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm inclined to disagree about shipways the detailing is the best especially vs the old euopean kits (which are very meh) but you are also going by images of the models and how they should look when built then look on this site for that as some ms Constitutions build logs on here look great. Don't look at the images advertised for the kit since they always built quickly for advertising purposes not a work of love. Remember a kit is only about a third complete ever if you want a model to be as detailed as possible you have to bash it and scratch parts.

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...