Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Questions on HMS Juno 1780, Amazon class 32 gun/12 pounder 5th

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 68 posts

I'm going to build Rod Lagnton's small 1:300 version of this, the hull resin casting is very nice, although I think I'm going to redo all the masting and yards as they appear to be a bit out of scale too heavy.

Two questions:

1) A feature I'd never seen, when I saw it on the casting I first thought it was some kind of error, but no there it is on both sides, and I found pics of a very nice as-launched model of the class ship Amazon, and there they are. Fully planked wing-like extensions of the hull from the main wale to the forward outer edge of the foremast channels. 

I'm not nearly the expert most of you gentlemen are but I have looked at lots of pics of RN frigates and I don't recall seeing this before. After staring at it a while only thing I can come up with is it's extra reinforcement for the foremast channels as they had problems with them being damaged when her bow dove into waves? If so it's odd they weaken it by having the chainplates extend through it. I also wondered if it had something to do with lashing up the um bowyer anchor, but I don't see any sign of fittings or cleats or anything you'd assume to see.

UWBcFQz.jpg

2) The version I'm building is Juno during the Napoleonic wars, with 32 pounder carronade deck armament and fully built-up forecastle and quarterdeck bulkheads and she appears to be carrying 40 guns total. Anyone know of good reference sources for ships of this class at that point in their service histories? As nice as the base resin hull is, it has room for improvement in details and I'd like to get those details right :)

Thanks in advance.

• Landlubber Mike likes this

wrkempson

wrkempson
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Those planks are the anchor lining, used to protect the hull from the anchor.  They were easily replaced when worn from being rubbed by the anchor during fishing and catting.  There were various styles and manners for the lining.  It seems to have been dependant upon the individual builder.

Wayne

• mtaylor, davyboy, Landlubber Mike and 2 others like this

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

The anchor lining was replaceable planking bolted to the main wale. The outward slanting part of the structure is called the bill-board.

• wrkempson, mtaylor, uss frolick and 1 other like this

wrkempson

wrkempson
  • Members
  • 191 posts

correct

See Goodwin, pp. 183f.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

michaelpsutton2

michaelpsutton2
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationMandeville (near New Orleans), La. USA

Billboards prevented the anchor flukes from catching on the channel as it was being stowed. Some shipps had the outer planking doubled in the way of the anchors as well. You can see it on this plan of HMS Resolution of 1708. I cannot imagine the frieze painting shown above lasted more than a day or two,post-2745-0-56555100-1386029516_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelpsutton2, 21 December 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• mtaylor, druxey and Canute like this

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

uss frolick

uss frolick
  • Members
  • 991 posts

"The First Frigates: Nine-pounder and Twelve-pounder Frigates, 1748-1815", by Robert Gardiner, Conway Press, 1992, is illustrated with plenty of late service admiralty draughts, showing the strengthening and simplification of the 32-gun class, such as Cochrane's famous HMS Pallas, etc. .

• trippwj, mtaylor, druxey and 1 other like this

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 68 posts

"The First Frigates: Nine-pounder and Twelve-pounder Frigates, 1748-1815", by Robert Gardiner, Conway Press, 1992, is illustrated with plenty of late service admiralty draughts, showing the strengthening and simplification of the 32-gun class, such as Cochrane's famous HMS Pallas, etc. .

Thanks. With a slight eyetwitch at the need to buy another book :) , I thought I already owned every single book in print about frigates at least. Including the expensive French ones! Off to Amazon.

vossiewulf

vossiewulf
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Those planks are the anchor lining, used to protect the hull from the anchor.  They were easily replaced when worn from being rubbed by the anchor during fishing and catting.  There were various styles and manners for the lining.  It seems to have been dependant upon the individual builder.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Since everyone seems to know what they are, I guess I've just been blind - I really had not seen these before and as mentioned I've looked at lots of frigates lately. Makes me wonder what else I am missing  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.