Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Glasses for detail work (changed by mod)

eyeglasses fine work

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Bob Blarney

Bob Blarney
  • Members
  • 181 posts

....I got a nice holly log from a friend and let is season before mounting it on the lathe and turning to round. There was an almighty bang. There was a nail deep in the log which the bush had grown around.  Three stitches on my left temple and a nasty scratch on the right lens. Different angles and no glasses and I would not be typing this and model making would be over for me.

I am no rich man, but can stretch to a £200 kit. The glasses cost me £60.

We can all do the math.

Yes indeed, the price of eyes is still out of sight!  
      When I'm roughing out a billet on the lathe, I wear a logger's mask & helmet until it's in the round.  But after reading your story, I think that at least a rudimentary metal detector might be in my future.

• Canute likes this

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Bit difficult when you're working on rigging detail on the model and yards prevent getting closer to the detail

B.E.

Nah it's still within my range of focus -  yards aren't a problem.

• Canute likes this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

reklein

reklein
  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • LocationLewiston Idaho

Some of us our arms are not long enough without glasses.:0

• Jack12477 and Canute like this

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.