Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to this Craft.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

adagaue37

adagaue37
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Hello all, I have done a lot of wood working and plastic model building in the past but decided to move into this side of the hobby. I just received my first kit for Christmas and I must say after reading the instruction booklet and looking at all the parts I am a bit overwhelmed. Any help with tool suggestions and must haves would be extremely helpful. The kit I have is the SYREN, US BRIG 1803. I am looking forward to getting started since it is cold out and working on other projects in the garage is not really an option.

Edited by adagaue37, 27 December 2016 - 08:33 PM.

• Anja, Kevin from Hampton Roads, donrobinson and 2 others like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,216 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Welcome to MSW.

If you'll go here:  http://modelshipworl...d-downloads.php  and look in the tools section, there's articles on basic tools and also ones to avoid.

As for Syren, do a search using the Search feature in the upper right hand corner of the kit builds page.  There's quite a few Syren builds here and the kit designer is an admin here also.

Do consider starting a build log as it's the fastest way to get help and feedback.  A build log can be the best tool in your toolbox.

• Anja, donrobinson, EJ_L and 2 others like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,217 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Hello, and a warm welcome to MSW from 'Down Under'.

John

• mtaylor, donrobinson, EJ_L and 1 other like this

Anja

Anja

Anja

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationBleiswijk, the Netherlands
Welcome aboard,

It is great to have you here. Can you please tell us your name?
I agree with Mark, starting a buildlog is the fasted way to get help, advise and encouragement.
There are a lot people here who are willing to answer any questions you might have.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modeling.

Regards,
Anja
  • mtaylor and EJ_L like this
Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the shipyard: Schooner Hannah - POF Hahn style - First scratchbuild

Completed : Albatros 1840 by Constructo

helmsman

helmsman

• Moderators
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, Utah
Welcome to MSW
  • mtaylor, donrobinson and EJ_L like this

Jeff Toma

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Welcome to MSW. You have been given some great advice already so I won't repeat that. What I will say is to join in with encouraging you to start a build log. Questions can much more easily be answered if we can follow along with what is going on and see pictures of it. Also I will add that there is no rush in building these ships. Go slow and be sure to understand all that you are doing Also read ahead through the next several steps. This will help to make sure you don;t overlook something that gets covered up and may help to explain why the instructions have you do certain things.

Best of luck to you on your first build and I look forward to seeing your work! 

• mtaylor and donrobinson like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

adagaue37

adagaue37
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Thank you all for the supportive words and the warm welcome. My name is David and now that the Holidays are over and I have the basic tools I need to get started I will be starting on this model shortly. I will start a build log and post when I can of my progress. Thank you again and Warm Wishes for the New Year to everyone :)

• Anja and mtaylor like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.