Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Colors for American ships circa 1815-1830

roger b taney revenue cutter ships colors

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz
  • Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationQueens New York

Thanks Wayne. See that's the kind of logic I'm talking about. Why paint the masts white when the yard materials would scrap that paint off, makes total sense to me too. ;) To my knowledge I know of no period models of American schooners, pilot boats, cutters or otherwise however if you happen to know of any I'd be curious to see what they look like. But I agree with you the coloring of these ships would be directly related to their function. The Achilles model I posted is really working for me as far as a plausible color scheme, black hull, white stripe, green or white instead of red bulwarks, any exposed wood would be tarred and only in areas where use was constant (upper workings, wales connected to chain plates, stanchions, masts, etc.) As far as decorative colorings only enough for local captains to identify other ships by name and type, a larger ship may have 2 stripes etc.

Edited by CharlieZardoz, 30 December 2016 - 04:50 PM.

• trippwj and Canute like this

CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz
  • Members
  • 796 posts

So I think I am narrowing this all down now (see image). One thing I would like to discuss is this stripe which goes right up to the channel. A lot of the models shown in this post just have a wale without this extra strip so not even sure if it exists but it does add some nice detail I'd like to add to the model. I ordered a 1/32 by 1/32 strip of holly for it however logically I have always seen channels as either black or wood so would it make sense that this white of tallow stripe be broken up by black or wood channels?  Could the stripe be black?

Next up is the cap rail (which I added), I've seen wood rails white rails and black rails, my question is wouldn't the rail have matched the splash thingie at the bow? And as another piece in constant use would painting it be a waste? Could the splash and railings be different colors from each other?

Attached Thumbnails

• ranger41.JPG
  • Untitleda.jpg

Edited by CharlieZardoz, 30 December 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• Canute likes this

CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz
  • Members
  • 796 posts

Question guys, did period ship builders use different materials for planking vs railings, wales, upper workings etc. For that matter what was the function and purpose of a wale to begin with?

• mtaylor likes this

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,492 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA
There were different materials used for different parts. Let me try and find a good contemporary (1794) list of materials - will post it here when I find it.

As to function of wales, check Falconer and see what he has to say?
  • mtaylor and CharlieZardoz like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Question guys, did period ship builders use different materials for planking vs railings, wales, upper workings etc. For that matter what was the function and purpose of a wale to begin with?

Attached is the materials for frigates as specified by Joshua Humphreys in 1794. 

Attached File  1794-5-12d war dept to treas dept cost of building ZXA06 25-26.pdf   440.62KB   18 downloads

• mtaylor and CharlieZardoz like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz
  • Members
  • 796 posts
Wayne I couldn't send you a message. By chance do you still have your plan of corel ranger?
  • trippwj and mtaylor like this

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Wayne I couldn't send you a message. By chance do you still have your plan of corel ranger?

Sorry about that - hadn't realized my mailbox overfloweth!!!

I do still have my plans for the Corel Ranger - at some point, I really need to move that one back to the table....

• mtaylor likes this

Wayne

Epictetus

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of NH

Charlie, the wales acted as girders, stiffening the hull against hogging or drooping of the ends, especially when uppers and lowers were merged and constructed in an anchor stock or other interlocking fashion.  They remained in place in later ships, Constitution for example, but the plank around them thickened disguising their presence

• mtaylor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.