Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need some Help with a couple dimensions I cant seem to locate for my offsets

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMoline, Illinois USA

thanks Alan it helps to make sense of some of the stuff for me. later today I will mess with some of the stations and will see if I get them right. I think once i start seeing it in 3 dimensions it may make more sense to me

• mtaylor likes this

AON

AON
  • Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationNiagara Region, Ontario, Canada

are you using the other plan views to lay out the stations?

• mtaylor likes this

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

BUILDS
     1989-90 : 27 foot Type K MONAGU WHALER (1945), POF scratch build, scale 1:12, pulling sweeps stored & rigged for sailing, clinker built
     ***31 Dec 2013 - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class
     14 Apr 2014 - Building my Modelling Table
     16 June 2014 -  Refit of the Schooner Charlie
     13 June 2015 - Building my Light Box

*** active build

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

I am using sheet 000025A which shows interior layout and the layout of the stations etc

• mtaylor likes this

AON

AON
  • Members
  • 1,045 posts

I believe you need to be working off plans 6a thru 10a (corrected lines)

You can use a set of dividers and measure directly off the half breadth and starboard profile plans to plot your points.

Edited by AON, 04 January 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• mtaylor likes this

Alan O'Neill

BUILDS
     1989-90 : 27 foot Type K MONAGU WHALER (1945), POF scratch build, scale 1:12, pulling sweeps stored & rigged for sailing, clinker built
     ***31 Dec 2013 - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

*** active build

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

I suspect that the two dimensions are to allow for bevelling the frames. Cut to the larger of the two measurements, by the time the bevels are cut and the framing faired, the width should be no less than the smaller dimension.

• mtaylor likes this

AON

AON
  • Members
  • 1,045 posts

It is funny Druxey that I focused on the one dual dimension and didn't see the many others!

I am finding lately that I need to zoom in considerably to read stuff and am using a magnifying glass in the work shop and at the office.

Thank goodness for 27" monitors.

Going for a needle in my eye next week and hoping after two more to follow that my eyesight improves considerably.

Either that or it bloody well better stimulate hair growth up top.

Joe, if I may call you Joe, having looked at all those drawings once more this afternoon I am very jealous.... they really are marvellous.

Edited by AON, 04 January 2017 - 11:49 PM.

• mtaylor and druxey like this

Alan O'Neill

BUILDS

*** active build

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

thanks guys and Alan no need to be jealous I shared )) also don't forget to get the sailing schooner drawings I posted too ))

right now I am setting up all the planes etc on the drawings for the stations etc. which is totally time consuming due to dimensions offsetting etc. I got everything made up now for the assy but now a couple more hours needed to lock the station planes i created into place in the assy

85 Planes for the front half the stations and 85 for the back side so 170 planes to do a top front and right plane mate hehe

• mtaylor and PeteB like this

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

since I am feeling generous here is a page with plans for the Balclutha http://www.loc.gov/p...eet/&st=gallery

• mtaylor, AON and PeteB like this

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Well I got all the image planes made and mated into the proper locations. I took the planes and did intersect curve to them from my loft and the front 90% of the ship turned out beautiful. I still need to figure out the transom area but will take a break for now while I make all my 3D stations. it is always nice to take a break when something is driving you nuts. who knows maybe someone else with tons more experience, while playing with cad will have it figured out while I work on the other stuff

Attached Thumbnails

• Wapama-21.png
  • Wapama-20.png

• mtaylor, druxey, AON and 1 other like this

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

well I got the basic middle station shape my problem is going to be finding an easy way yo get the rest of them and have a smooth transition between each without having the starved horse look. too bad the inner and outer portions werent the same shape but nooooo that would be too easy hehehe

Attached Thumbnails

• Wapama-22.png

• mtaylor, druxey, AON and 1 other like this

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

been doing OK having some probs with getting the taper but at least I will mess around then worry abt correcting it later.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wapama-23.png

• mtaylor, BANYAN, druxey and 2 others like this

AON

AON
  • Members
  • 1,045 posts

looking good.

I remember how fulfilling it was to finally see my 2D sketches finally take 3D shape.

and so now imagining building it is getting easier

• mtaylor, druxey and PeteB like this

Alan O'Neill

BUILDS

*** active build

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

thanks taking a short break from them to learn abt more stuff but am about to start a build thread got the Sloop Mediator. it is like 49" by 29" and am putting together in solidworks in order to adjust notches from enlarging the drawings and also to make sure it goes together properly

• mtaylor and PeteB like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.