Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skipjack rigging

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts
  • LocationWarrenville, SC

Reading further in "American Ship Models and How To Build Them" I found another interesting tidbit about Bugeye and Skipjack rigging. The deadeyes on both boats are setup with a much larger gap than an earlier type boat.

Accourding to the book this large gap was to increase the length of the lanyards, to counteract the rigidity of the wire shrouds. This was in the section on the Bugeye Edith Todd, built in 1901. The Bugeye was a two masted boat, used for oystering before the advent of the skipjack. The Bugeye was sometimes referred to as a "Three Sail Bateau". The skipjacks were "Two Sail Bateaus".

An interesting note on the Bugeye - The lower hull was built from several logs that were carved to shape inside and out after they were joined side to side, basically a large dugout canoe! The upper portion of the hull was then built up further with planking. The idea was to give a thick lower hull that would hold up to an accidental strike of the oyster beds during dredging.

• mtaylor and Kevin from Hampton Roads like this

Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin from Hampton Roads
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA USA

Ron,

You have convinced me! :D I have looked through my books as well and did not find what thought I had read. I am now planning on using wire rope for my shrouds.

On an interesting note, about your note, someone gave me the plans for the Bugeye Edith Todd today.

Edited by Kevin from Hampton Roads, 15 January 2017 - 12:03 AM.

• mtaylor and thibaultron like this

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Current Builds: Skipjack Albatross - 1:32

On Hold: Yacht Atlantic - Scientific

Completed:  Ships Boat - MS - First Planked Kit

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts

I have them also, I got them years ago, from the Smithsonian.

Rayjack6

Rayjack6
  • Members
  • 11 posts
I am also looking for lines drawing for the Whaling ship Charles W Morgan. The Mystic museum wants too much for theres.
  • Kevin from Hampton Roads and thibaultron like this

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts

You might try Model Expo, they have a kit for the Morgan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.