Royal Louis by fmartins - multi-media

Hi Fmartins

Wow, wow and triple wow!!!! I don't know how I could've missed this log, but now that I've found it, I ain't going to miss out again. I'm in!!!

You're doing an absolutely terrrific job, especially at this scale.

She looks brilliant!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks a lot Patrick! The scale is a challenge yes but it was more imprudence of my part. I wanted something small cause I live in a small apartment but now I see this was a mistake of sorts heheheheh... I'll do my best but in this scale without proper equipment let's just say it won't be wonderful as you say hehehe but I'm having so much fun building this ship... I'm like a kid these days with a new toy!! If you have ideas advice or criticism don't hesitate to post ok?

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Hey everyone. I haven't been having much timw to spend on the model lately, to my great self disappointment... My vacations are over, my dissertation is still late and my index finger is still a bit sore. But sinec classes haven't started yet (I teach in a local university), I had some time to consider my next steps.

First, I found the work of a modeler/artist called Rex Stewart. I guess most of you have heard about him but I admit my ignorance. His models share some similarity with mine - his main concern is not replicating the original building methods in miniature. I don't either, so maybe I could learn something from him. The way he builds is a lot smarter than mine (he carves a solid hull with a dremel of sorts).

post-816-0-77390600-1485225596_thumb.jpg

But here it gets interesting. He doesn't plank the outside, he rather simulates planking by scribing/scoring.

post-816-0-40424700-1485225626_thumb.jpg

And his results are not bad really. If I didn't check his buildlog on Flickr, I would've thought he planked this model. Check for yourselves...

post-816-0-71796800-1485225650_thumb.jpg

In my case it's late for a solid hull, but I could somehow partly replicate this idea, right?

So i used some low tack scoth tape and after a looot of sanding I managed to get templates for thw sides of the ship...

post-816-0-31971900-1485225502_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-90149000-1485225536_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-05109900-1485225568_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna give scribing a try, see if works fine with me and I'll post the results later, before glueing it all in place. It seems promising!

post-816-0-54552100-1485226148_thumb.jpg

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

Oh I forgot to say... On the port side is a Brazilian wood called tauari. But the cutting of this veneer left it with a lot of 'scars'. I'm using it only for the template although it's a beautiful wood (this piece however has 'muted' colors). On the starboard side is a different wood. This is the final wood. Its beautiful yellow collor is close to the model in the French museum. Unfortunately I have no idea what kind of wood it is, since i bought it in box with scraps of veneer (let's say I don't have much money for hobbies - going to graduate school is great but maybe not a sound financial plan hehehe)... i'll save some of it to try to find some more of ot or what wood this is. It does have kind of a 'flamed' effect like maple...

----

Hi FMartins

Mmmm...now that's ingenious!!!!  I'd never have thought of scribing the hull to simulate the hull planking.  I guess that's why we love this hobby and MSW in particular.  It's a terrific venue for sharing ideas and techniques.

Good luck with your hull and I hope it goes well. I look forward to seeing how you go.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

What a brilliant model. Never heard of styrene bulkheads before. That was good to see something different.

Well done mate.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Patrick! I'm not sure its going to work because I'm doing it on veneer. It is already thin and after scribing and sanding it may become too fragile. But Ill try anyway. Scott, my 'unorthodox' approach comes from a mix of lack of time, money and space hehehe... Since the bulwarks wouldn't appear and I had some styrene lying around (I used to do some helicopter plaatic models), I told myself to give it a try... Next time I'll stick to wood though...

----

I have scribed planks before on a deck but not a hull. The hardest part I had was keeping them straight. It didn't take much for the blade to catch a different grain and wonder off in an unwanted direction. In the end it came out quite nice and I do think it would be a great solution to planking at such a small scale.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ_L that is precisely my finding today. I'm trying all kinds of improvised stuff to impeove this wandering off but so far nothing. With veneer its even worse cause it's so thong i end up cutting instead of scribing... tomorrow is a holiday here so i'll spend a few hours trying a few ideas. I hope i can gey acceptable results...

----

*thin, I mean 'so thin' (i wrote that on my phone, and I'm a horrible typist)

----

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been a while I haven't posted here... If you're following this thread, know that it's not because I don't want to, or abandoned the project... The thing is I'm on the last phase of my doctoral degree, and it'll be all finished by june/july... until there, my focus has to be on my life-long dream of becoming a full time researcher. But, as soon as I'm done with my dissertation I'll certainly have more time, and I'll happily post more often... Don't give up on following my build... It is something that really makes me happy. I hope in the end it will turn out alright...

Thanks everyone!

----

No worries. My wife is finishing her Masters right now and I know how busy she is till the end of July also. We will all be here when you return. Long build times and long breaks in between updates can be quite common in this hobby. I wish you all the best luck in finishing your Doctorate. That truly is a great accomplishment! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-26 at 7:53 PM, EJ_L said:

No worries. My wife is finishing her Masters right now and I know how busy she is till the end of July also. We will all be here when you return. Long build times and long breaks in between updates can be quite common in this hobby. I wish you all the best luck in finishing your Doctorate. That truly is a great accomplishment! :D

Man, I had no idea what I was doing when I decided to go for a doctor's degree... That sh*t is crazy... At least with a doctor's degree I can try for a position in a public university here in Brazil. That would be very good - it is pretty much the same as getting tenure in an US university. Nice salary, only teaching 8 hours a week and that's it... plenty of time for model ship building hehehehehe

----

That sounds like a good plan.  Any career that one doesn't have to put in 80 hour weeks is a good one.  I should have thought of that before I went from Engineering to IT.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

At this point I'm not even caring about rewards and stuff I just want it all to be through hehehe

----