Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to Ships

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Pond

Pond
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Hey all, 

I'm new to ships, but not new to modeling in general. I've spent many years building model cars and planes. 

My grandfather has been building ships for 40+ years and has completed at least 40 ships. He's 95 now. I have 2 in my home. I'm planning to purchase my first ship in the next few weeks. I'll have the pleasure of his coaching as I build my first. I'm rather looking forward to it.

I don't have any questions yet, but I will be lurking and reviewing what I can find here. 

Happy Modeling all

Pond. 

• mtaylor, Kevin from Hampton Roads, geoff and 2 others like this

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,213 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Hello Pond, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

John

• mtaylor, geoff and EJ_L like this

Robin Lous

Robin Lous
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Welcome aboard Pond!

Robin :)

WIP Dusek 1:72 Greek Bireme http://modelshipworl...ld/#entry432615

signature01_zpslyvgt3sz.png

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Worldway

Worldway
  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Hi Pond, glad to have you here.

Derek

Current Build: Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

On Deck: Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Welcome to MSW! That will be nice to be able to work with your grandfather and learn from him. Do you have a first ship in mind or are you still trying to decide? When you do get started, create a build log and share the build with us. That is a great way to get help if/when you need it and it is also fun to share with the community. It does not matter your skill level and you will meet some great people and learn a lot. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing your work!

• Anja, mtaylor and geoff like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Anja

Anja

Anja

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationBleiswijk, the Netherlands
Welcome aboard Pond,

Is that your real name?

It is great to have your grandfather as a tutor and work with him.

Whatever you decide, make sure it has your interest and that you really want to build it.
That way you'll be more likely to get through the trials and errors.

E.J. suggested it and I agree. Please start a buildlog when you're ready. That is the second best way, besides the help of your grandfather, to get help and advice when needed..

Good luck with your build.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,
Anja
Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the shipyard: Schooner Hannah - POF Hahn style - First scratchbuild

Completed : Albatros 1840 by Constructo

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,214 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

:sign:

• geoff and EJ_L like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

geoff

geoff
  • Members
  • 968 posts
  • Locationnottingham uk

Welcome to MSW "Pond". Come in the water is lovely!! All the best, Geoff

• Anja, mtaylor and EJ_L like this

torro

torro
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationZeebrugge (Belgium

welcome Pond,

Eric

• mtaylor and EJ_L like this

finished builds : Nordkap 476 (Billing Boats 1:50), Marina II (Artesania Latina 1:50), Calypso (Billing Boats 1:45)
on the slipway : Titanic 1:200 (Mantua)

Pond

Pond
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Welcome to MSW! That will be nice to be able to work with your grandfather and learn from him. Do you have a first ship in mind or are you still trying to decide? When you do get started, create a build log and share the build with us. That is a great way to get help if/when you need it and it is also fun to share with the community. It does not matter your skill level and you will meet some great people and learn a lot. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing your work!

I have a couple that i'm considering, but Grampa wants to approve my selection first haha. initially he said I need to do a solid hull to "learn to walk before I run." Then he called back and decided that with my previous modeling and building experience and him coaching me i should be able to handle a larger "level 2" boat. He's ordered from "Model Expo" for years and I suspect this will be the front runner for now. 

http://www.modelexpo...asp?ITEMNO=SM52

Welcome aboard Pond,

Is that your real name?

It is great to have your grandfather as a tutor and work with him.

Whatever you decide, make sure it has your interest and that you really want to build it.
That way you'll be more likely to get through the trials and errors.

E.J. suggested it and I agree. Please start a buildlog when you're ready. That is the second best way, besides the help of your grandfather, to get help and advice when needed..

Good luck with your build.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,
Anja

No, Anja. Pond is a long standing nickname from some friends. My real name is Micah. As soon as I have the kit I'll start a thread for it. I'm driving down to see him on February 3rd. I suspect I'll have the boat some time around the 1st of March. 

To every one else, thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting sucked into a new hobby. I'm sure it will be challenging, but I'm in need of that right now. 

Pond. 

Edited by Pond, 09 January 2017 - 06:01 PM.

• Anja, mtaylor and EJ_L like this

skifflake

skifflake
  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSkiff Lake, New Brunswick, Canada

Go for it Pond. I have been at it for 45 years now. I would recommend starting with a solid wood hull kit. This is where I started and eventually moved to plank. Once you complete your first build and learned from that you will be eager to start the second and it will be that much better than your first. You will be constantly striving for perfection. Good luck. Pat

• mtaylor and EJ_L like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.