Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

eye bolt supply tip

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Robin Lous

Robin Lous
  • Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Not sure whether or not it's something new, but perhaps people never thought of this...

You can use fishing hooks for eye bolts.

Countless sizes available...just cut off the hook and you have a perfect eye bolt.

They're also available in several finishes...steel, brass, bronze, black.

Robin :)

• mtaylor, dgbot, tkay11 and 5 others like this

WIP Dusek 1:72 Greek Bireme http://modelshipworl...ld/#entry432615

signature01_zpslyvgt3sz.png

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

tkay11

tkay11
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationKentish Town, London, UK

Nice idea. How do you know the size of the eyebolt in terms of diameter of the space across the eye and diameter of the rim?

Tony

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 2 others like this

===
First build: Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 FINISHED

2nd and current build: Triton cross-section

Robin Lous

Robin Lous
  • Members
  • 465 posts

That's a bit of a problem when you don't have a local shop.

When there is one..a ruler or better... vernier caliper. The shop owner might think you're a bit odd, but that's fine. :D  

I just had to find my (long forgotten) tackle box in the garage and pick the fishing hooks matching the size I need.

Robin :)

• mtaylor, tkay11, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

tkay11

tkay11
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationKentish Town, London, UK

I thought that might be the case. But it is a good idea if you already go fishing.

Tony

===
First build: Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 FINISHED

2nd and current build: Triton cross-section

mtdoramike

mtdoramike
  • Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

I never thought of that myself. I usually just make my own, but when you are having to make hundreds of eye bolts, it becomes quite a bit like work. I had often wished of something quicker and easier since the only options for me to buy them pre-made is to order some from on line retail hobby stores that carry them, which are getting fewer and fewer. Walmart will be my next stop when needing eye bolts along with my caliper and load up on them. I wished you had posted this last week, I just finished making two hundred of them. That was about 3 hours I won't get back to spend on other things.

mike

• mtaylor, tkay11, CaptainSteve and 4 others like this

Robin Lous

Robin Lous
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Two hundred!?  :o

I only need 6 for my (first) build and after some failed attempts to make them myself, I asked my brain to come up with an easier solution. :D

• mtaylor, thibaultron, RichardG and 2 others like this

biltut

biltut
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

The very small salmon egg hooks used for Trout fishing make beautiful eyebolts.  I make my own by twisting the appropriate size wire in a hole drilled in the top of an aluminum xacto handle.  Then insert a drill bit of the needed size eyebolt, tighten it up, twist the wire about 3/16 inch and cut it off.  This makes a very neat round eyebolt and the added advantage is the grip it will provide when it is mounted.  This twist almost serves as a threaded base to the eyebolt.  I think this was described somewhere else in one of the forums years ago.  

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

GrantGoodale

GrantGoodale
  • Members
  • 27 posts

If you are in North America, you can go to Michael's to get brass eye bolts. I forget what they call then but you can find them in the beading section.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

Fright

Fright
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Grant - They are called 'eye pins' at Michael's. The ones I found were 2mm - I purchased some for my cannon tackle on my USS Constitution. I also found some 1.5mm eye pins on Ebay to use as well. Will have to look at the fishing section and check the hooks out. Good tips from both of you!

Robert O

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW Australia

Robin

Making your own rings, hooks and eyebolt is pretty simple and cheap. See link below for my method.

http://modelshipworl...-galaxy/page-16

Hornet

Current Build: - Caldercraft - HMAV Bounty

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

On the shelf awaiting construction: - Caldercraft  - HM Bark Endeavour 

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Here's what I do to make eyebolts. Photos are self explanatory (I think) :)

Royal Louis (1599).JPG

Royal Louis (1600).JPG

Royal Louis (1601).JPG

Royal Louis (1602).JPG

Royal Louis (1603).JPG

Royal Louis (1604).JPG

I now use a black wire which looks a lot better.

Edited by Ulises Victoria, 11 January 2017 - 03:02 AM.

• mtaylor, davyboy, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.