Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is the most EPIC kit available???

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

mtdoramike

mtdoramike
  • Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

To me, it's not so much the ship that makes a kit EPIC, it's the story behind the ship of the history of the ship that makes it epic. Take for instance a ship that started it's life on the open sea as a slave ship during the height of the slave trade, then eventually was captured and turned into a slave ship hunter that actually went out and hunted those bastards down. Like the Amistad, a slave ship, where the cargo (slaves formed a revolt and took control of the ship). Even the HMS Bounty is a ship with a colorful history. But these ships weren't well adorned nor pretty. To me if it's just eye appeal, you can't beat the Sovereign of the Seas or Wasa for prettiness.

To me it's the history of the ship that makes the build come alive. Like the model I'm currently working on now, the Spanish ship Montane's. I liked the history of this ship because the spanish people of the mountain area financed the construction of this ship.

mike   

• mtaylor, coxswain, Canute and 3 others like this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

The epic kit.......that's easy. For me it was Amati's Pegasus then it was Amati's Revenge then it was MarisStella's Trabaccolo then it was MarisStella's Barque Stefano.......................and the list goes on. The first rule in this hobby is "Thou shalt hoard kits" second rule "if you like it buy it"

• mtaylor, coxswain, Chuck Seiler and 5 others like this

Dupree Allen

Dupree Allen
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationClarksville, AR

"Epic" kits are something that I would not have the knowledge to comment on. But in my opinion the HMS Naiad 1797 1/48 by Albert would certainly be a strong candidate for an epic build.

• mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

Blighty

Blighty
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I have 3 'epics' to date:

My first wooden model build, Emma C Berry

My current, Chaperon

And my next, I don't know what that is, I like the larger scale, working boats, the old eyes are not what they used to be so I avoid intricate rigging. This riverboat is a blast.

Len

• mtaylor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.