Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much are you willing to pay

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Worldway

Worldway
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

I was curious if you are a budget modeler or one with no limit.  I was poking around the net today already thinking of what to build after the Bluenose.  I decided to perhaps build Amati's HMS Pegasus. Then I saw the price and for me it would be close to $1000.00.  I figure that is way too rich for me and I'm not yet willing to sell the Admiral or deck hands.

So what do you consider to be a reasonable budget for models.  I understand that we all have different financial backgrounds.  I mean, if I had a few million in the bank then I wouldn't be writing this post.

• mtaylor, grsjax, popeye the sailor and 4 others like this

Derek

Current Build: Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

On Deck: Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

tasmanian

tasmanian
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Locationsouthampton new york

i guess if you invest 1000 dollars that s gonna be for a period of 3 years anyway the time to built your model but the problem is what does SHE think about that ?

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 2 others like this

Worldway

Worldway
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

i guess if you invest 1000 dollars that s gonna be for a period of 3 years anyway the time to built your model but the problem is what does SHE think about that ?

Oh gosh, yes you're right.  One does have to consider the Admiral and I don't think there is a clean way to smuggle one into the house.  But you have a good argument, I could tell her it's only $333 per year.

I like your thinking.

• mtaylor, popeye the sailor, tasmanian and 4 others like this

Derek

Current Build: Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

On Deck: Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

J.P.

J.P.
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB Canada

...glad I have a couple waiting on the shelf for me.... it's a constant battle with the cost of living in general that has me wide eyed!!!

JP

• mtaylor, Landlubber Mike, Canute and 3 others like this

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel),

Current WIP:Le Renommee (Euromodel)

On Shelf: Berlin (Corel), HMS Bounty (Billings),

Le Renommee - Euromodel

Steve 12345

Steve 12345
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationBelfast,Northern Ireland
One thing to consider
The first ship I built was reasonably exspensive I learned a great deal from building it but now working on my second that was a tenth the price I now find myself beginning to resent things I did on the first learning new things thinking I wish I new that when building the first ship
I now wish I got a few under my belt before spending the big bucks
I'm still happy with my first build don't get me wrong but there is a lot I could have done better if I'd have known and an investment like your considering is fairly big
I would instead maybe consider investing in tools like miniature table saw or planer so you can buy raw materials for very cheap and make your own parts as hobbie shops tend to be very expensive for the material you get
I hope this helps it's just meant to give you something to think about and ocourse the decision is yours and yours alone to make

Steve

Edited by Steve 12345, 12 January 2017 - 12:56 AM.

• mtaylor, Canute, EJ_L and 2 others like this

Dupree Allen

Dupree Allen
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationClarksville, AR

It's totally relative to the overall. For instance I started out with NO scale craft tools. So after machines, laser cutter and books....and since this is my first build it is costing me nearly 8 grand to build the Triton Cross Section. But with capital outlay already invested, the per project cost will come down ....eventually. I don't drink, smoke or party so that helps. I have friends that spend much more than that a year in bars. The satisfaction is worth it.

• mtaylor, dgbot, popeye the sailor and 5 others like this

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

JerryTodd

JerryTodd

Scale Sailor

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park Maryland USA

I don't think I have $1k into a 8 foot long RC sailing ship, including radio gear.  It may be pushing $400.

• mtaylor, JerseyCity Frankie, Canute and 1 other like this
Click a pic to go to that build log
sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

tasmanian

tasmanian
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Locationsouthampton new york

my girl could be tought sometime but for birthday or christmas i can do almost what i want : last birthday november proxxon  milling machine mf70 and 1 month after christmas proxxon disk sander 125 e so maybe wait for your birthday and you will be able to get what you want ?

• mtaylor, usedtosail, Canute and 2 others like this

Roger Pellett

Roger Pellett
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDuluth, MN
Harold Hahn built his models with an 8in table saw, hollow ground Sears blades, a Unimat lathe, and his drawings were hand drawn. Today, using his drawings that include lofted frame shapes, one could build an accurate model without buying an expensive kit. A step up would be to order original drawings from a museum source and do your own lofting. Ships have been lofted by hand for 100's of years. CAD, laser cutting equipment etc is not necessary. Based in the talent shown on this forum used to build model kits, I am amazed modelers shell out big bucks to purchase model kits.

Roger
  • mtaylor, russ, grsjax and 5 others like this

popeye2sea

popeye2sea
  • Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Not sure I would fit into the no limit category, but I just looked over what I've spent for my current build so far.   The initial kit was about $250.00 about 30 years ago.  To date I have spent about $3000.00 on books , tools, aftermarket parts, and supplies.  And the ship is only half done.

Regards,

• trippwj, mtaylor, Shipyard sid and 7 others like this

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! :D

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 504 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

Being naturally a cheap guy I look for interesting kits, materials and tools used or on sale.  I have picked up some amazing bargains from eBay and garage sales.  All depends on what you want.  If you have your heart set on a particular kit you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay the going price for a new one or wait a long time to find it for sale on eBay cheap.  Same goes for tools.  Over 40 years of looking for deals I have accumulated a pretty good workshop but I didn't spend a great deal of money on it.  Same for my stash of models.  I have some very expensive model kits that I picked up cheap.  Cheapest way to go is to get plans and build scratch using found materials (salvaged wood, etc.) and building your own specialized tools.  For me that is part of the fun and interest of the hobby but I don't expect it is for everyone.

• mtaylor, Duffer, Canute and 1 other like this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre
  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBelgium
For me, the most overpriced kits are the ones that remain on the shelf or were never finished, so that my golden rule n°1 is to never buy a kit (anymore)unless the former one is almost finished. Rule n°2 is not to start a project that could prove too difficult for me, because the chance is great that it will end up on my (overcrowded) shelf. Rule n°3 is to get in love with your next model, because you will need it to overcome the challenges to come.

As said, the price ou pay is fairly irrelevant compared to the numerous hours you will have spent on your project, and also considering your legitimate pride about the end result.

Happy building and...yes, Pegasus is a good choice and a splendid model. But... there are so many fantastic builds of her on this forum, that you may find it difficult to reach their level...

JP
  • mtaylor, Script, Captain Slog and 6 others like this

Kevin

Kevin
  • Members
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationSomerset England

of course there is the expensive option but spreading the cost, of a part work like

http://www.model-spa...__utmk=72032720

Edited by Kevin, 13 January 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• mtaylor, Canute and EJ_L like this

Please click on photo for a better image

All the best

Kevin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In build
HMS VICTORY by Wilber - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72
http://modelshipworl...raftjotika-172/

Bismarck By Wilber - Trumpeter 1/200

http://modelshipworl...r-plastic-1200/

Posting a Profile of Your Build

http://modelshipworl...-of-your-build/

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Its really not a fair question.   It depends on what you will be satisfied with in the end result.  The old motto is true...."you get what you pay for".

You can spend 5 bucks for a chisel or you can spend $150 for a better one.   My guess is you will not be happy with the $5 chisel and will end up throwing it away.   You can spend $30 for a bandsaw blade or $225.   Etc. Etc....

You get what you pay for.  This hobby is certainly not going to allow you to build models like this one below for $200   - $300.  Its an expensive hobby once it grabs hold of you.  It just depends on what you will be satisfied with in the end.  Again its not really a fair question because some folks are willing to invest much money (if they can) and much time tobuild a model like this....but many are just as satisfied with a less ambitious result.  

If you are going to spend $1000 bucks on something that will take you maybe three years to complete I would say that is a very reasonable and inexpensive hobby.   How many people spend just $335 dollars a year on a hobby for decent results.   Especially if its something that will give you years of pleasure and enjoyment.   I know guys that drop 100's every month bowling on a league......for me its just not worth it.  I think that kind of money is better spent on ship modeling is.....so again....its not really a fair question.  It more about how much do you really want it.   You spend money on what you are passionate about and everyone is different.....I spent 200 dollars on a cheap saw once because I couldnt afford a good one.  It was a terrible decision.  Finally I saved enough to buy a Byrnes saw and it makes the hobby much more enjoyable.  And that saw will last me a lifetime while the cheaper one was good for nothing out of the box.

post-505-0-51297700-1438647687.jpg

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, Script and 16 others like this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

popeye the sailor

popeye the sailor

imagine

• Members
  • 8,240 posts
  • LocationManchester N.H.

I think the most expensive kit I've ever bought,  was like $249.00.   I've got this habit of saving the parts panels and tracing out the hull parts for other hulls.          I outfit them any way I want.   all I buy is wood and fittings.   I did get a kit for Christmas........that keeps the 'gene pool' fresh.  he...he...he

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 2 others like this

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed / semi scratch dual build

on the table:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

I say if you likie it buy it, as it has been said it is extremely cheap entertainment. If it is the Pegasus you want talk to Rick at Modellers Workshop, he is located in Montreal and is great to deal with. I bought my Pegasus from him

• mtaylor, Landlubber Mike, Canute and 1 other like this

mtdoramike

mtdoramike
  • Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Chuck's words are golden. My budget is not unlimited contrary to what my wife says. But a hobby should never come down to buying a hobby item or paying the bills or eating. It should only be what I call disposable income or money that doesn't need to be spent some place else. Like for me, I limit a couple hundred bucks every couple of months to buy hobby items or when I buy ANYTHING on ebay, I call that disposable money and I won't have a stroke if I lose it on a bad deal.

I will also ad here that a ship model kit, is a ship model kit, is a ship model kit, after building thirty or so of them, I have come to the realization that a kit is just a box of sticks and it's up to the modeler to make something incredible out of it. My point here is this, no matter how expensive a kit is, it's still a kit. I would only buy a kit if it's a subject that I'm really wanting to model and then I would use the kit as a basis for beginning the build and then go from there and try and build the best representation of that model as I can with research, changing things like castings, even parts of the ship if during your research you find that the kit was off in some areas, which quite a few are.

mike

Edited by mtdoramike, 13 January 2017 - 11:13 PM.

• mtaylor, dgbot, marktiedens and 4 others like this

Landlubber Mike

Landlubber Mike
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

These are long term projects, but of course, there is a pretty big upfront cost (particularly if you get into buying power tools, etc.).  Annualizing the cost of the hobby, even with power tools, better wood, etc., you are still probably well south of $1000 a year (even better would be to compute the cost on a per hour basis).

I'd second eBay as an excellent place to buy kits for a fraction of retail.  Same for buying directly from people on this site (both of which I have done).  You can also look into buying those packages where they send you a portion of the kit in installments over time.  

Just don't buy from the Chinese pirates!   :10_1_10:

• mtaylor, marktiedens, Canute and 2 others like this

Mike

Current builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde

Future scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs)

mtdoramike

mtdoramike
  • Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

my girl could be tought sometime but for birthday or christmas i can do almost what i want : last birthday november proxxon  milling machine mf70 and 1 month after christmas proxxon disk sander 125 e so maybe wait for your birthday and you will be able to get what you want ?

Yeah, I tried that on my last birthday, it wasn't no hobby stuff and when I brought it up to my wife, she said get out here :huh: Then I went for the hobby stuff. ;)

mike

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 1 other like this

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of NH

One place you can do fairly inexpensive and perhaps free, and it will last a long time and many different model vessels is books.  The online used market is pretty good, all those old guys passing and their wives wanting to sell the books, and some places have really good library loan programs to locate the unusual titles.  You don't need the pristine copy still in the original wrapper, so should be able to find good quality for a fraction of original.

• mtaylor, Landlubber Mike, RichardG and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.