I'm deciding on materials for a new project. Is it possible to bend 3/16 X 3/16 Cherry strip to 3/4"-1" radius ?(or 1.5"-2" inside diameter).

Thanks

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Ken:

I really doubt that there are many woods that would take that kind of bending. Perhaps if we knew the purpose, others might be able to suggest some alternatives.

Russ

I'm planning on building a boat using the same method as the MS Bounty Launch Kit, using a frame mold and frame strips bent to it. Scale will be the same too, so made a mistake, the strips will be 3/32 thk x 3/16, not 3/16 square, my bad :huh:

Ken

Edited by BareHook

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Can anyone comment on adding oil to wood to make it more flexible?  I have heard of this and never tried it.

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

I haven't used cherry, but I used walnut to make the frames on my ship's boat. I used 1mm x 0.5mm strips, soaked them in boiling water until they sank, then wiped them with PVA glue so they wouldn't splinter. Then I very carefully and slowly bent them round a post using a hairdryer to play on them. The heat not only allowed the wood to bend, but dried the glue and made the curve firm. I was able to achieve the same kind of bend as you are looking for. The key was doing it very gently. For the first round I held the wood in pliers while the hairdryer was on. This also heated the metal post I was bending the strips round and it retained its heat for some time. Whilst it was still hot I completed the bending by hand round the post.

Tony

Ken:

I think 3/32" square stock will be muuuuuuuucccchhhh easier to bend in that radius. It will require soaking as Tony suggests. I have never done it with cherry, but if he can do it with walnut, I am sure it can be done with cherry. Cherry should have a finer and closer grain than walnut.

Russ