HMS Banterer 1807 by Lami - 1:30 - RADIO - Finished

Hi,
here are the latest picture of the Banterer. I'm building together with my father.
The first three picture show the first "sea trials" last summer:

The following pictures show the status of teh mechancis in January. The Set up of the main and mizzen mast will change as the combined mechanics proved not being reliable:

Best regards

Lami

Edited by lami

Impresive! What operations will you actually have using R/C? I can't imagine controlling a large number of sails.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Hi Brian,

The functions will be:

- control Jib and Fore Topmast Staysail

- Control all yards one the Foremost

- Control all yards on the Main and Mizzenmast

- Control the driver

- Steering

- Lower and raise the Topgallad yards

Lami

Lami the control system looks amazing any further information on how it works would be most interesting.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Lami,

It's great to see this build come back.  I'm looking forward to following it again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lami,

Great work. If I understand the pictures correctly the running rigging is routed through brass tubes to the drive pulleys. Do you have to use some form of lubricant in the tubes? 

Ian M.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Yes Lami, info please!

I saw this on the home page and had to find the build log. There is so much I would like to know about this build.

Steve

great to see this log back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

many thanks for your kind comments.

As correctly assumed we are using brass tubes to get the running ringging below decks. No lubrication is needed as the ropes are made from synthetic material and are gliding very good within the tubes.

The following pictures show the lay of the brass tubes from the belaying points to below-decks within the double walls of the upper deck.

Best regards

Lami

Edited by lami

The following pictures show the captains cabin and the laterns we build to illuminate the cabin and the upper deck:

The Lamps are made of the piece of clear plastics and brass eyebolt and a yellow LED:

I cannot see any of the last two sets of pictures just the JPEG number in a box.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the info, the pictures I uploaded yesterday and three of the first set uploaded are now missing in my gallery. Not sure what happened but I will upload them again this evening.

Lars

Edited by lami

Lami,

I cannot see the last 11 pix, either, Just a picture name/number.

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Dont use the gallery to upload your images...that is for completed models only.  Use the upload tool on each post.  Edit your posts and use teh full editor to add the pictures again.  DO NOT USE the gallery and then link them into your log.  That is a NO-NO.

Chuck

• 11 months later...

Hi,

with the Banterer nearly finished I wanted to show some actual pictures. The most work over the last 6 month was the sail making each sail took me an average of 40 hours to make. Build time was now nearly 7 years and we hope to let her sail on May 2nd for the first time.

post-3777-0-11391700-1398109699_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-52555600-1398109715_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-53317000-1398109729_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-60610800-1398109743_thumb.jpg

Edited by lami

How are you dealing with ballast?

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Such a huge effort, she looks brilliant, can't wait to see her sail

the Banterer has a displacement of about 24 kilos. The upper part of the hull weights 10 kilos with about  kilos on the water line and 6 kilos high above (masts, Sails, cannons, ...) and the lover hull weights 6 kilos. So we have 8 kilos of ballast. 5 kilos in the form of lead balls are sunk in Epoxy in teh lower hold. above that we have 3 kilos in the form of lead bars to trim the ship.

Tests indicate that no external ballast will be needed ( I hope that proves right :-) ) We are also able to lover the Topgallant Yards to reduce the sail area.

I will post some pictures as soon as she had her first voyage.

Wow! What kind of a glue do you use? And how do you prevent the hull from warping when wet? Planks will expand, and then leave the gaps when dried. Or there is a trick to prevent that?

Looking forward to see the video of first voyage, and more detailed photos! Incredibly interesting project! 

We are using normal water proof white glue for the wood, for the Copper plates we used cyanid quick glue. Over all of this is a layer of semi gloss boat paint. This combinatiion protects the hull very well.

Edited by lami

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo!  Bravo!

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Good for you, Lami.   She looks good in the water.post-76-0-15039200-1399252891.gifpost-76-0-15039200-1399252891.gifpost-76-0-15039200-1399252891.gifpost-76-0-15039200-1399252891.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)