I bought a can of wood conditioner because I read in someones log about the use of it.

Can someone please tell me exactly what wood conditioner is supposed to do?  i have read the can, but don't really comprehend why exactly I would want or need to use this product.

second question is how (meaning when, at what stage) would I use this...before sanding, after sanding???

Will I want to use it on EVERY piece of wood that will be on the exterior of the ship?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Wood conditioner will help even out the finish of the stain that you subsequently apply. Softer woods like basswood tend to have areas that are softer and others that are more dense. Thus the stain will not soak in evenly and this leads to a blotchy finish. The conditioner will even out the surface so that the stain will go on evenly.

I would apply it after sanding and then stain within a few minutes of applying it.

The softer the wood, the more you will see the need for it. Also, for open grained woods it will work well.

Russ

Edited by russ

Brian:

I am not sure what is available down under, but here in the states, I use a prestain conditioner made by Minwax. I have had very good success with it on soft woods like basswood.

Russ

Thank you. What I have is the minwax conditioner as well. Now i understand why it was recommended I use this for both the 18th century longboat and the Syren, as both use basswood for the planking.

One last question Russ, will this change the color of the stain?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Thanks Don, I will look into that. I had planned to do the one on here, but had delayed it until the weather got better so i could get out in the barn and cut me a piece of plywood for the base. I was going to try this as a scratch build...but did not realize there were kits for it as well...hmmmm

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

I would sand the wood well and make sure you do not have any glue spots etc. That will cause you a problem with both the conditioner and the stain. Apply the conditioner and let it soak in for a bit. They tell you about how long on the label. You can wipe off any excess and then stain shortly thereafter. I would definitely run some tests on some scraps first. That is never a bad idea.

I do not think it will chnage the color of the stain. You might test it and see what you think. The depth of the stain will be a function of how long you leave it on before wiping it down.

On the Battlestation, let me know if you have any questions.

Russ

I only need to make one comment here,,,,,, everything Russ says is 100% on the mark. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Russ, I feel I have my head wrapped around both the use and the NEED for the conditioner. I expect to be starting that longboat in the next week or so, and I want to make sure I do it right!! I know Chuck told me to use the conditioner instead of replacing the basswood with something else, but now I see why.

I am also hoping in 10 days, as soon as school is out YIPPEE, I can get out to the barn to cut that plywood for the battle station. Did you build it as well Russ?

Don, yes, we picked up something like 6 inches, but it was gone the next day thank goodness. I keep hoping spring will actually arrive!!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

If you are talking about the Battlestation plans that are offered here at MSW, I designed it and built it.

You might be talking about another project though and that is good too. :)

Good luck with the longboat kit. That is a beautiful model designed by real artist and craftsman.

Russ

Well, wow, I had no idea you created it Russ. Now you are in trouble as I WILL be asking you questions!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Rocker, you know it is ALL your fault. You are the one who convinced me to start with the battle station!  Now if I could just convince the other half that I really NEED that Byrnes table saw for my birthday.....

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station