Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

rdsaplala

rdsaplala
  • Members
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLaguna, Philippines

Beautiful work Richard, everything looks shipshape.

Just a note on references, Amazon has some used TFFM vol 1 at a bargain price, see link below:

http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

This covers most of the info you will need for the framing and should keep you occupied while you save up for the rest of the volumes ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

rummy

rummy
  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRoberts Wi

I will be going to Montana this summer and I will harvest some Russian Olive if I can tell between it and a pine tree :D  :D

Thanks for the link,   Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

sonicmcdude

sonicmcdude
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationKriva Palanka, FYRO Macedonia

Nice Start! Welcome aboard! :)

Greetings, Sinan :pirate41:

Build log:TRITON POB 1:72

logo_phpBB.gif

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain, The Old Continent

Keep going Richard!

Now I am sure that you are actually enjoying this project!!

I am going to print the full plan of the Triton (A0). The one you have already on your work table...

Best wishes!

Daniel.

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

I had some time this weekend to work on the Triton. My first attempt at making the steps on the aft deadwood was a failure so I made all new pieces and tried again.

Here is the second attempt. Came out better. Just need to so some cleanup work then cut out the steps on the other side:

Attached Files

• aykutansin and fatih79 like this

Pete38

Pete38
  • Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationEastview, Kentucky

Looking good on the deadwood.....

First attempt was not a failure.....it was a learning experience..... :dancetl6:

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Hello all,

I have made some progress on the deadwood over the weekend. This is much better than the last attempt and I feel confident that I can move on to the fore deadwood now.

It is difficult to take a picture of a taper but with the right shadows it kind of stands out. Here is a picture of my work in progress on one side of the deadwood. I think I will save the final sanding of the taper until I get some frames made up for that area so I can get the taper to blend well with the frames:

Attached Files

• fatih79 and Elmer Cornish like this

Tim C

Tim C
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationHudson, Florida USA

Looks Good and nice effort with the photos. I like the first photo the best.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

All,

A couple of questions:

1) On the Jig Plan, is the "support post template" the height at which the plan should be placed above the the building surface? I think it is, but wanted to be sure.

2) Where do you all get the picture of the scale sized little man holding the stick? =)   I see this guy in several posts and wanted one for myself.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses,

Richard

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

For the little man screen shot the image you like then you can shrink to size in an image program. Alternately get a photograph of yourself and do the same (and really freak people out)

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Thank you Matrim. That is a good idea. I will go home to tonight and try to get an appropriate picture of myself.

I have another question, on the frame drawings for frames 28 through 19 there are degree numbers - i.e. frame 28 says 29 degrees.

Is this the amount of twist in the frame from top to bottom?

Richard

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

I have completed the bow portion of the keel and also all of the way back to the stern deadwood. I want to install the false keel before proceeding with the installation of the stern section so I am concentrating on that at the moment. The false keel is rather thin and I have to sand in the interlocking joints (term for this?) on them prior to installing. Should prove to be a learning experience. The false keel will be made from some walnut I collected from a friends house. He cut down the tree 10 years ago so that now the logs are perfect for modeling.

Attached Files

• riverboat likes this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Good Work Richard.

Are you gonna make a jig or something or are you going to go for a log like Ed´s. I mean not using a jig but just a surface with the plan plotted and glued to a piece of wood and use squares to put the frames in place?

I´ll keep watching! best wishes.

Daniel.

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado
I'm going to use the jig. I bought the wood and threaded rods for it last night.

I'm not getting any answers to my questions. I thought you guys were supossed to be helpful? ;-)

Richard

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Ha ha! A miniature me for displaying with my progress pictures! Downright silly but still funny. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands.........

Attached Files

• riverboat, mtaylor, sonicmcdude and 1 other like this

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,490 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA
Looks good so far - mini-you looks ready to go to work!

I think the joints you asked about are called scarphs.

Edited by trippwj, 27 June 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

You forgot to wear  a  Hat... Being from Colorado and not wearing one is a shame Richard. I spent a year in Mesa Verde back in ´92 studying the 12th grade at Cortez HS. Really nice State.

The "interlocking things" (really funny term) are call SCARPHS. There´s hundred different types. They use tu tar the joint and caulk it. You´ll see there´s people arround that simulate this using white glue with black ink, or black pater o just a soft black pencil.

If I were you I would make first, either the stem or the stern with the cant frames and then go for the whole thing working from the extremes to the middle.

Best wishes!

Daniel.

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Hi all,

Built the building jig over the weekend - see below pictures. Also made and attached the false keel. Still need to run the entire keel assembly through the thickness sander.

Attached Files

• riverboat, mtaylor, aykutansin and 4 others like this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Nice Jig Saturn!

How did you glue the metal to the bottom. I used epoxi but how you did it? I guess there must be another method for that. Can you show a picture from the bottom of the first piece of wood. The one that goes on the table.

Regards.

Daniel.

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Thanks for stopping by Daniel.

The threaded rod goes all the way through the board and there are 3/8" nuts and washers on the bottom - the threaded rod does not protrude out of those nuts on the bottom. The nuts, being of uniform thickness, give a nice level surface on the bottom board. This setup is not recommended for use on top of nice furniture because it will scratch whatever surface it touches.

I left the threaded rods long so they can be used for other things in the future after I am done with this project.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.