SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

Hello Richard!

You could dilute achrylic white paint in water and work by layers of paint. Like if you were making a watercolour paint. The paint diluted is tricky to keep in place. You are not going to be able to mask the frames, the paint will run out every single place. That´s why I recomend you to paint the stuff before and glue it with white PVA...

I painted all the beams and the floor planks in my house using this method. Of course I didn´t use achrylic... i used water base industrial paint diluted in water 1:4. Here´s a pic.

post-87-0-58436700-1387789131_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas!

daniel.

Thanks Daniel, that is what I was looking for - folks opinion on what to use and how to apply it. I will do some tests on scrap wood to see what it looks like before I go applying it to the real parts that I will use on the model.

And yes Mark, my hopes are to make some fiber optic lamps down in the holds to make everything visable.

thanks for the help,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Worked on the first set of hawse timbers yesterday to close up the the remaining hole at the bow on the port side.

I had trepidations about making these parts so I put it off until there was nothing else I could do. Turned out, it was not that difficult. I used Daniels picture tutorial when needed to confirm I was doing the correct thing - thanks for posting the pictures Daniel.

I used rubber cement to glue the pieces togther so as to get an overall view of how the wood should be sanded. After a while the glue gave way but I had sanded off enough to get a good basic shape to the parts so now I will do each timber individually to finish them up. All in all not difficult and looks pretty good. I'll post pictures when they are done.

Richard

Edited by SaturnV

No work on the Triton this weekend due to cold weather. I can't sand the hawse timbers indoors because of the dust.

So in the meantime, here are some pictures of recent progress.

The fore cant frames set and the start of the hawse timbers - all done a week ago:

post-65-0-92072800-1389022904_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-47979600-1389022917_thumb.jpg

Edited by SaturnV

Looking Good Richard!

What temperature (in celcius) you have up there? The "Hercules" has been a pretty good storm as I have heard on the news. Hope you are all ok.

Keep going.

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hi Daniel. We are all fine - a little chilled but fine. The temp over the weekend was about -10 C so that was cold enough that I could not stay out there long with a dremmel tool trying to whittle away at the hawse timbers. Thats a good way to make a mistake.

Richard

No skecth or pic available. I did find a definition online: A compass breast timber that crosses the hawse timbers above the edge of the ends of the upper deck planking and over the hawse holes.

I think it will look just like the other hooks in that area. I will try and take the shape from the deck framing plans and side view plans. Not a big deal. Just thought it would be easier and possibly more accurate if the actual drawing existed. Thanks for your offers of help guys.

Richard

Richard,

It's not in my set of plans either, unfortunately. That gave me a little motivation to look, and there seems to be more missing as well from the full list versus the available plans. The stove, wheel, and the capstan are some big details that are missing. They do exist somewhere because you can see them being built with Triton specific plans from the plans visible in Wang's log. I planned on using the ones in the articles section, but don't know if those would be correct for this ship or not.

Randall

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Had a warm stint over the past weekend and so managed to do some rotary work on the hawse timbers which in turn allowed me to glue them in on the one side of the bow. They are only roughed in at the moment and  still require quite a bit of sanding to finish them off. It is good to finally see some progress.

Richard

post-65-0-10863500-1392242553_thumb.jpg

Richard,

Very nice work you have done with the bollards and hawse frames. I can only dream of the day when I am that far along at the rate I'm going. When you made the bollards, did you fit a bowsprit to figure out the angle and placement or was there another source you referenced?

Randall

hE hey!!! CONGRATULITATIONS Richard!!

It is good to finally see some progress.

Beautiful work with those bollard timber and the hawse pieces completed. Now we are "even". I would say that you are beyond me... You have already done the gun ports and the stem is glued.

Good job!

Daniel.

Thank you all for the nice comments. Lots of sanding and smoothing to go but it does have the basic shape.

Randall, after reviewing many documents, books, and websites I ended up using a long metal rod with sand paper around it to sand in the semicircle on the stem. I used one of the side profile drawings for the Triton and extended the line of the boom down to the keel (about 1/3 of the way back from the stem). At that point I knew where to place the metal rod tip on which frame so that when the rod rested on that frame and also on the stem I had the correct angle. I also did my best to check it with a protractor but that is difficult on the inside of the hull. After getting the angle correct on the metal rod I slid the sand paper back and forth along the rod and the stem to sand in the curve. The bollards I just held up to the curve on each side and marked the bottom of the curve onto the bollard so that they would match.  There was still some fudging to do because when you start the sanding the metal rod is too high. As you sand the rod moves down and so adjustments have to be made. The hole is really still too small but this is on purpose so that the final installation of the boom can have some play in it in case of errors on my part. make sense??  :huh:  :) 

Richard

Hi all,

Made some more progress over the weekend. Got tired of watching Olympic Curling so I proceeded with the glueing up of the other hawse timbers. I got a little off track on the top of these but I can add and subtract materials as needed here because it will be planked both inside and out - no worries.

post-65-0-17806300-1392661302_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-15219200-1392661303_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard. Well i`m following your log and only from those pictures you posted since now I just cannot get wait to see it fully completed :D. Wish you good luck and a LOT of patience.

Kamil

Curent build:Brigantine Corsair by Kamil-OcCre-1:80.

graphics-pirates-116081.gif
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

Thanks Guy!

To be honest folks, I have been slacking on the model lately. I have been caught up in the Olympics the last couple of weeks and I have many many recorded hours of it to go. I did put spacers inbetween the bow cant frames over the weekend but that was all. Its probably going to be that way for the next couple of weeks as I finish out my backlog but I will get back into the model right after that. I promise....

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

I had some warmer weather over the weekend and so made the wing transon part. The part has basically square ends and is not like the other wings below it. I am curious as to how this is to attach to frame 28. It does not meet the frame flush but rather buts against it on one corner of the wing. Have others made this part and how did they attach it to frame 28?

The TFFM shows it blending right into the frame (as I think it should) but this is not the shape shown on the individual drawing of this piece.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I haven't made it to that part yet, just finished up raising the aft cant frames, but I do know there are two different plans for the wing transom, one marked as revised. I'd double check the downloads area and make sure you have the right plan.

Randall

Thank you Randall. I do have the revised version. It is an odd shape on its ends for where it goes. I am going to sand down my current piece to fit snug against frame 28 and see how that looks. I can always make a new one. I'll post a picture when I am done to see what folks think about it.

Richard

Gooood morning Richard!

See my post #9 on page no.1. It´s been a long time since I made the stern. I´m not pretty proud of it by I remember that somehow I needed to moved on and continue with the framing. Of course I started precisly with the stern and then move to the bow, not like you.

Tricky frame the #28!!

Good luck!

daniel.