Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Kevin

Kevin
  • Members
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationSomerset England

i had a good idea just how much work goes into a full scratch build, after all i have been watching it happen for years, i just never appreachiated how difficult it was

lol anyone following my first attempt at a single  frame from the cross section build will see how difficult is am finding it and i tried my cotton socks at it

• mtaylor likes this

Please click on photo for a better image

All the best

Kevin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In build
HMS VICTORY by Wilber - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72
http://modelshipworl...raftjotika-172/

Bismarck By Wilber - Trumpeter 1/200

http://modelshipworl...r-plastic-1200/

Posting a Profile of Your Build

http://modelshipworl...-of-your-build/

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

Thought this to be an interesting shot. I was wanting to get a profile only of the wale to see if it looked correct. Got what I wanted plus the photo:

Attached Files

• mtaylor, harvey1847, j21896 and 8 others like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

I like that shot.... well done!

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain, The Old Continent

Do not see the point Saturn...

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado
Looking at the model with the light in front makes all of the wood blend together and therefore hard to discern the individual parts and the curve of the wale. Lit from behind all is black making the curve the only thing that can be seen. Plus the picture looked kind of cool so I thought I would share. :)
  • harvey1847 likes this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Sorry Richard, I was just trying to be funy :(

Did you actually have made the wale or is a tape to find out the shape of the wale?

I do like the picture, it´s like she is floating in the space, like the NASA SaturnV, like a dot on space. Yesterday I couldn´t see the point about the shot. If it works for you oh kill. When I made the wale I spent like two days meausiring the sheer plan and translating those meausures to the model with a square set. I could not see the final result till all those dots and lines were on the Triton. Your shot it is a clever idea but be careful with the measures of the top of the wale to the gunports lintels/ceillings.

Hope you understand me. (sorry about my english aswell)

Take care!

daniel.

Edited by harvey1847, 18 November 2014 - 10:13 AM.

• mtaylor likes this

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado
Hi Daniel! I can understand you, hopefully you can understand me too. :)

I measuered the same way - measure three times, glue once! It seems to be correct.
The tops of my frames have never been cut or sanded to their final height so it gets tough to visualize if things are straight. The gunport frames have not been sized either so height on the Wales can't be judged by that either. The only thing that counts is the wale height above the keel. Does that make sense?

Richard
  • mtaylor and harvey1847 like this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Does that make sense?

Hello again Richard!

Yeah, it makes sense to me. The best thing about the wale is that you actually have a nice curve line that it is exact and true to the hull. This will help you (has helping me) to measure all the diffrent heights up and donw. Specially becacause with the wale in place I cannot put a square between the frames and I have no gantry-bridge to measure things from above. Next project I´ll do this for sure.

best wishes!

Daniel.

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado
Ah, the gantry bridge. That is coming soon for me. I don't see any other way to get good measurements inside of the hull without one. Mine will likely be rudimentary as I have not the money or skills to build a nice aluminum one. I am off work all next week so I expect to get the keelson completed, the hull finish sanded inside and out, and then finally stain her so that I can finally see her true colors. Should be fun stuff.

Richard
  • mtaylor, harvey1847 and jaerschen like this

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

I'm still here folks. Finished the keelson. I have laid 4 sets of planks on the floor of the ship along side the keelson (both sides). I have been researching what parts to do next - planking the outside, making mast steps, hooks, or deck clamps.............

Richard

• mtaylor, harvey1847, jaerschen and 1 other like this

SaturnV

SaturnV
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationColorado

The Wale and the Captain (Cap't Buddy). I know there is a song or a book in that statement somewhere...

Richard

Attached Files

• mtaylor, harvey1847, WackoWolf and 2 others like this

jaerschen

jaerschen
  • Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLudwigshafen, Germany

She's looking good Richard.

It seems Cap't Buddy can't wait to sail with it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.