A small hand-held power sander

Being a wood worker, one of my old tools is a 'mouse', a small power sander that comes in handy for sanding hulls and decks. It is not designed for large sanding jobs, and because of that it has had some bad reviews. But I really like this little guy for delicate sanding into corners, etc. It is made by Black & Decker and last time I checked it was available at Home Depot for about $35.

post-246-0-41777300-1361035913.jpg

post-246-0-67685800-1361035929_thumb.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Jay

Does this machine give you a lot of vibrations that could damage the good work you have done to the model- say like when used in the second picture (planks)?

I would like to use this tool however I would be afraid that it may work some pieces loose that I may find out about latter in the build when it could be too late to repair.

John

"Without ships there is nothing"

Hi John,

I used a similar 'mouse' sander to sand both the first and second layers of planking with no problems what so ever.  As Jay says you can sand into tight corners, which I did by using only the very outside edge of the sander.  I could sand right up to the Stem and stern using only the edges.

My sander is a Bosch which is mains powered and looks to be slightly bigger than Jays and has a 2 part sanding sheet.  A triangle front and a rectangle rear.  I found you get some vibration through your hand but didn't effect the wood at all.  I think I got it from Bunnings but can't remember the price.  Bunnings also stocked different grades of paper for it.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

it does give some vibrations, mine was worse than a plastic boyfriend, but after a while your hand adjusts. if any parts give up, at least you find the weak points prior to problems getting worse. i only had to reglue two ribs in the frame...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Hi Jay

Does this machine give you a lot of vibrations that could damage the good work you have done to the model- say like when used in the second picture (planks)?

I would like to use this tool however I would be afraid that it may work some pieces loose that I may find out about latter in the build when it could be too late to repair.

John the sander is very light and vibrations are minimal. I have never had a problem having parts vibrate loose. Keep in mind that this thing is not like you typical 'power sander'. It is designed for refubishing scroll sawn furniture pieces. It comes with different attachments that refine the type of contours you can sand. You might do a web search under Black & Decker, Mouse to see more.

One of the pictures I showed above was when I decided to redo the deck of my Conny. I did not like the scratches and gouges I had and used the mouse to completely strip the deck. I did have to repaint the green bulwarks towards the bottom, but that was not too bad.

I might add one more comment. One of the reviews on the web mentioned that the person burnt out the motor. I think that is because some people put too much force on the little guy thinking that more pressure does a faster job of sanding. That, of course, is false. You should let the sander do its job and just guide it along. It comes with different grades of paper, etc.. etc..

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I have this tool and I am in agreement with what Jay says.  I have used it for ship modeling and many household chores.  Never had a problem with it and like Jay says, "Let the sander do the work".

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat