What is your favorite hand tool(s)??

Favorite hand tool?  There are just too many choices.  Hemostats, and optivisor are a couple that others have listed and that are right up there with me.

I recently picked up cross-locking tweezers and it falls in the 'how did I live without this' category.  My reason for buying them was to hold bands for soldering.  They apply enough pressure to hold the edges together without collapsing the band when it gets heated.  I quickly started using them to replace conventional tweezers for holding small parts.  The number of incidents where that small part flies out of the tweezers and into space has been reduced significantly, leaving me more time to model and less time crawling around the floor looking for deadeyes!

post-547-0-79695600-1362157361_thumb.jpg

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

My Lee Valley 1/4" Chisel.   I use it far more than the No.11 knife, or a fairly inexpensive micro carving set I have.   When I got this, it was  SHARP.     But now, I think it's becoming only SHARP.  I'm getting dismayed because I don't know how to sharpen it, and I don't want to ruin it by trying.

Oneidachisel_zps7bff23fd.jpg

I think I will be getting one of those roller gismos that holds the chisel at a set angle, and I'll learn how to sharpen.

Ron

use an old fashion leather strap - like the old barbers used for the strait razors for touch up, or an old fashion whet stone / oil stone for times when it's really dull. all you want to do with the stone is work that top edge the one facing up in your picture and hold the face flat to the stone, push away on a long even stoke a few times.   that's it.   just keep that angle flat to the stone,    if you get a slight "lip" on the wrong side then just one pass on that side.

it's not hard to do really and you can get a crazy sharp edge in no time at all.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

The last tools I bought are 3 small sharpening diamond stone coarse medium and fine for about $25.

Diamond is very efficient and fast for a fresh sharpening with water not oil. Although these are not this model, it shows the idea:

https://www.fine-tools.com/ezelap-diasharpener.html

Atually, my favorite tool is the proportionnal divider, the only use of a ruler after using it, is for tracing a line. I use it almost every day.

You can calculate an angle, divide, multiply. More accurate than a ruler to measure and it is easy to repeat a distance with it.

My favorite tools are a plane and a small file (round on one side, straight on the other). They are the one that give the final shape to the wood parts which is what I find the most satisfying.

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

The last tools I bought are 3 small sharpening diamond stone coarse medium and fine for about $25.

Diamond is very efficient and fast for a fresh sharpening with water not oil. Although these are not this model, it shows the idea:

https://www.fine-tools.com/ezelap-diasharpener.html

I agree with the diamond coated sharpeners. I keep one in the drawer in front of me and when an Exacto blade gets a bit dull, I can sharpen it faster than replacing it with a new one. Of course, if the tip is broken then that is another matter.

post-246-0-12538500-1362175593.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

#11 exacto blades and magnifier (ok, tweezers as well).  For magnifiers I use inexpensive fly fishing glasses in 2.25 and 4X.  So light and comfortable that I get complaints from the 'Base Commander' when I show up at the dinner table still wearing them.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I bought my first tool when I built my first model in 1950. It is a fretsaw with a 290mm throat and is stamped "Made in England".It has literally been in constant use ever since. I can cut faster and more accurately with it than with a scroll saw and I have the economy of using the entire toothed area of the blade and not limited to the cam of a scroll saw. There is nothing, other than the blade that can break, It never needs servicing because it is reliant only on elbow grease. The shellac on the handle is a bit worn but otherwise it is as bright and shiny as the day that I bought it. I can't remember what I paid for it but in todays money it would probably have been less than 10c. I don't like it.... I love it.

Richard

Pete, I do a tool review column for MSB site and I'm in the middle of putting your last 'tool' through it's paces for my next review.  Clever 'favorite tool' post, my friend.    :cheers:

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Boom-box radio/CD player. Gotta have some appropriate tunes in the background for relaxation, working with some of this nick-picky piddely little stuff. Bach on classical guitar or Rossini overtures keep me centered.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Hello everyone,

These are my favorite handtools.

My little hobby knife

It is almost my sharpest tool available, and never shy to make a sharp cut.

It goes through almost every piece of wood. I don't argue with it, otherwise I will cut myself.

And If I do my measurements well, everthing will be cut the way I want. But if I forget to change the blades in time, It will ruin my modeling dreams.

My sandpaper

It is not the most beautiful tool. It has a rough skin and it wears quickly, but it will create the smoothest surfaces for me.

My tweezers

That's my tool when I have small objects to be manipulated. Two extra fine fingers for small pieces for which Even my fingers are too big to handle. But I don't dare squeeze it too hard, or the parts will fly all over the place.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Anja, don't forget how great the tweezers are for nipping at the husband when he's being annoying ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I would have to say that to me the most important tool and favorite is a ruler to measure. I have them in different scales and also inch and MM. With out the right mesurement it doesn't matter how good of a cut you make of sand or file, it still won't be right. Measure twice and then check and measure again. How many have scrap because of a wrong measurement. But this is just my 2 cents before the penny is no more.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Ron once you have sharpened the chisel on the stone, then if you strop it (remember the scenes in movies of the barber stopping the single edged razor) use an old leather belt and pull the blade towards you first one side then the other holding it from the handle so that the chisel is in line with the belt. If you do not have any polishing compound put a little toothpaste on the belt and it will bring up a razor sharp edge that you can literally shave with. If I cannot shave with a cutting tool knife or chisel then it is not sharp enough for me. A dull tool is a dangerous tool.

I like to use the Japanese water stones for the stone work.

Michael

I took your advise and had a go at this...... it worked great, I now have a razzor sharpe chisels - thank you

Cheers Phil,

Current Build:

HMS Victory 1:84

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

I would have to say that to me the most important tool and favorite is a ruler to measure. I have them in different scales and also inch and MM. With out the right mesurement it doesn't matter how good of a cut you make of sand or file, it still won't be right. Measure twice and then check and measure again. How many have scrap because of a wrong measurement. But this is just my 2 cents before the penny is no more.

I agree, Joe. 

Besides small six inch rulers, I rely a lot on my calipers. It has a dial indicator (digital, I guess, is ok also) and I can rapidly find out what the sizes are; be it diameter, thickness, even spacing such as planking, etc. 

post-246-0-29112300-1362871565.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

Seeing all these favourite tools could we construct the ultimate toolbox from the information?

When it comes to my favourite hand tools I have two, My Lie-Nielsen 102 block plane and the Chopper II both are a godsend when at the hull building stage.

Dave

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

:huh:

Seeing all these favourite tools could we construct the ultimate toolbox from the information?

When it comes to my favourite hand tools I have two, My Lie-Nielsen 102 block plane and the Chopper II both are a godsend when at the hull building stage.

Dave

Dave, It might not be the 'ultimate' toolbox, but I don't mind putting a list together of what we have thus far. Give me time.

What I find interesting is that the replies varied from your block plane to a can opener for the 'end-of-the-day refreshment', hah, hah. 

Of course, the most popular so far is the opti-visor (or whatever you have to see a little closer).

Like, we all need better eyesight?  :huh:  :huh:  :angry:

Jay

Here is the list thus far and they are not in any order other than the most favorites first.

I just hope that any new ones are not going to be influenced by this grouping!!!!!

Tweezers 9x

Magnifier headset  7x

#11 blades  3x

Hemostat  3x

Diamond sharpener  2x

Ruler  2x

Block plane 2x

Bright light  2x

Chissel

Toothbrush sander

Tooth brush cleaner :P

Files

Fretsaw

Sandpaper

Drawplate (for treenails)

Boombox (classical please B) )

Can (bottle) opener

Plus we had a hobby knife and a scalpel which should, maybe, go with the #11 blades to keep the list short (not added yet).

Sorry I was wrong when I said the magnifier seemed to be the most popular. But that was 'hindsight'.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay