The Sea of Galilee Boat by Cap'n Rat Fink (mario) - FINISHED - 1/24 shell-method

Hello All this will be the build log of  “THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT”.

Instead of using my lousy typing to describe the history of this ancient boat, I thought a couple of videos would be good enough to explain a little of the history of this archeological find…

part 1 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BKA9bWjHI

part 2 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6dbRr7VYs4

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

I started this kit about a month ago. I was asked by Scott Miller if I would like to test his newly designed kit and practicum. As I love the work boats of any era, I was pretty much willing to go for it. I will add a few photos of the kit here, and later this week I will start adding the progress of my build of this wonderful ancient boat.

What interested me about this kit was I will be constructing the hull using the shell method. I will be using a strong-back with the keel and stem n stern pieces in place. Then I will be adding the strakes first and then the frames afterwards. Just like ancient times.

The other reason is because Scott’s practicum has me using nothing but CA glue to construct this boat. I thought this would be a nice challenge to get my cuts and measurements right if I was going to use CA, because once the part is placed there is no turning back.

This kit is rated by Scott for the intermediate to expert builder because of the hull construction being a challenge. My opinion…..this hull is not for young…

What you are seeing are the contents for 2 boats. One will be donated after it is completed.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-1053-0-98673200-1369258981_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-61800000-1369258989_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-59098200-1369258997_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-50302200-1369259006_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-74609600-1369259017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

and a few more pictures of the kit. PLEASE REMEMBER YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE CONTENTS FOR 2 MODEL BOATS!!!!

post-1053-0-68043200-1369259262_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-49204900-1369259364_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-22455100-1369259412_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-77314500-1369259426_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-78165000-1369259446_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Wow.. two builds for the price one admission.  You're taking after Popeye's method you know.  :)   Should be an interesting build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HI JOHN......Yes it is a lot of fun doing another one of my work boat obsessions here!!!

HI MARK.........Well it's really not 2 for the price of one. the other will be built off camera...but i will show the completion of it later...

WELL HERE WE GO.

I HAVE A SMALL WINDOW OF FREE TIME TO ADD MY PROGRESS…..

AS SOME KNOW I USUALLY BUILD AND POST A SHORT TIME LATER. BUT WITH MY NEW JOB ASSIGNMENT I HAVE SHIFTED TO BUILDING TILL MY MODEL IS JUST ABOUT DONE. INSTEAD OF STARTING A LOG AND LET IT SIT FOR WEEKS BEFORE I UPDATE….

MY SPARE TIME IS NOW LIMITED, SINCE I AM AVERAGING 60 TO 75 HOURS A WEEK AT WORK. I HOPE THIS WILL NOT BE MY LAST BUILD. BECAUSE OF WHAT FREE TIME I HAVE, I DEVOTE IT TO MY WIFE AND KIDS. IF IT BECOMES MORE DIFFICULT TO SPEND TIME MODEL BUILDING., THEN I WILL HAVE TO LEAVE MODEL BUILDING FOR A VERY VERY LONG TIME. (WHEN CRUNCHING THE BOOKS, LOOKS LIKE I STILL HAVE ANOTHER 10YRS TO BEFORE I CAN RETIRE.)  SO I AM HOPING THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. IM HOPING MY JOB GETS BACK TO A NORMAL WORKLOAD.

I WILL STILL BE BUILDING MODELS BUT PLASTIC CAR, TRUCKS, AND SUCH. BECAUSE MY YOUNGEST BOY HAS TAKEN AN INTEREST IN THEM, AND MY FAMILY COMES FIRST NOT ME….

SO HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES SINCE MY FREE TIME IS JUST ABOUT UP, AND WILL TRY TO ADD MORE AT THE END OF THIS HOLIDAY WEEKEND…

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FILL FREE TO ASK ME, AND I WILL ANSWER AS TIME PERMITS. THANK GOODNESS I HAVE A SMART PHONE TO USE ON MY BREAK TIME AT WORK.

post-1053-0-39530600-1369414447_thumb.jpg

The practicum is very detailed and comes with lots of pictures which i will post some of them up for you...

post-1053-0-16191900-1369414455_thumb.jpg

the strong back frames are mode of basswood ply...

post-1053-0-97402000-1369414461_thumb.jpg

once the frames are aligned and the wood glue dried , i will add extra security by adding CA glue to the base of the frames.....

The dowel is there to help assist holding the clamp at the stern of the boat.... 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Since I am already short on time again I thought I will add a few photos of the praticum that I will be following....

ANY QUESTIONS OF REMARKS ARE WELCOMED......

post-1053-0-19688200-1369414782_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-46521400-1369414791_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-96610500-1369414818_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-85657100-1369414828_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-13265500-1369414836_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario,

This is gonna be interesting!

So let's start with a few questions.

If I see it right, when you've done the planking you have to remove the top.

By cutting or using a saw?

When I look at the pictures, it's totally different.

I think I just shut my mouth and see what's going on.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Mario,

Ken (Barehook) is also building the Sea of Galilee

It's great to see another one being build.

This is an interesting build. I will follow along.

I hope your job gets back to a normal workload soon, so you can spend more time with your family.

Good luck! Talk to you soon.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Mario,

I echo the sentiments that this looks like it will be quite interesting to follow!   I know the toils of a demanding job so hope yours eases up a bit if for nothing else than piece of mind :huh:

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Ok thank goodness for smart phones. I am on top of a mountain looking at nothing but wilderness. Who the heck needs a 4g networks out here. I thought I would answer some of your questions why’ll I have a chance…

HI SJORS….

Ok let me see if I can explain. This ancient boat when finally assest they figured it existed anywhere from 50bc to 70ad. Well back in those days these boats were built using a mortise tendon system. There was no rabbet line, the garboard strake was mortise tendon and so was every strake after that, all the way to the gunwale. Once completed they flipped the hull over and then added the frames, just think POF, but in my boat it is FOP.

So I will try to glue all the strakes without gluing them to the strong back, which I was successful at doing…

They came up with this from an ancient boat they discover in the Mederanian Ocean. They call it the”Kinneret Boat”. At 1/24 scale the mortise tendon style (shell method) would for me be kind of difficult to do, but I will show you an example later on in the build.

HI ANJA….

Your right barehook is doing one too, but his is scratch where my is from a prototype kit.(NO WORRIES ANJA I SHALL RETURN TO THE DARKSIDE SOOOON) That Scott Miller developed. His MSW ID is “scotticus”. He asked me to test it for him. So I am posting my test build of the kit. You will enjoy it I think…

ADAM….

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy my build thread as much as I did building this boat…

Thank you all for stopping by and will add to my thread here over the weekend…

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Mario,

Get off that mountain soon. my friend.  3G is good enough for the bears and mountain lions.   :)  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

runner63...

Thank You i hope to make it interesting.....

Hi Mark...

Funny you should that. Just got home from work 1030pm. I'm a little wired so not sleeping. So I will start posting some pictures.

So here we go..............

post-1053-0-10323800-1369546342_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-28452400-1369546359_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-02041400-1369546386_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-22760100-1369546426_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-62818000-1369546448_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Here's a few more..............any questions or remarks are very welcomed..

post-1053-0-43335300-1369546580_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-35706500-1369546599_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-03028100-1369546621_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-09545400-1369546636_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-23457000-1369546650_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

and 5 more...............

post-1053-0-98500800-1369546769_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-73506300-1369546789_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-34480600-1369546807_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-09394000-1369546828_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-81873200-1369546844_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

THANK YOU ANJA

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Looks sweet, Mario.  Glad you got off that mountain.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark.....

Not for long I'm heading back up the stupid mountain in about a hour.... I should of gone camping since i'm in the mountains so much this weekend....

Hi John...

Thanks...I have a lot of detailed pictures of the hull construction before of how different it was to put together...

SO HERE ARE A FEW MORE PHOTOS TO SEE...................

post-1053-0-58752300-1369674780_thumb.jpg

NOTICE HOW THE DOWEL COMES INTO PLAY HELPING KEEP THE CLAMP FROM SLIPPING OFF THE STERN AREA.

post-1053-0-57818300-1369674801_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-55168000-1369674816_thumb.jpg

PER THE PRATICUM THE FIRST 2 STRAKES ARE NOT TAPERED IN ANYWAY.....

post-1053-0-67007500-1369674830_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-29277100-1369674845_thumb.jpg

YOU CAN NOTICE HERE EVEN WITHOUT A DOWEL ON AT THE BOW THE CLAMP STAYS IN PLACE BECAUSE OF THE ADDED SANDPAPER TO THE JAWS....

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

AND A FEW MORE PICTURES.....

post-1053-0-73375500-1369675346_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-65059500-1369675364_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-53532700-1369675406_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-07889100-1369675420.jpg

post-1053-0-13769500-1369675553_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Here you go again Mario with another great build..... this is a very interesting build log and you are doing an excellent job of presenting it,

Hope your work gets back to normal, sure would hate to see you leaving the modeling world for any length of time.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi  John, Frank, and Wayne....

Thanks Guys for stopping by. Next time i add some pictures i will ad a little info about the book, which i thought was a great read.

Take care

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Good to see you back at it, Mario. Let us know when and where this kit becomes available for the rest of us. 

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

Everyone is in for a real treat as Mario continues his posts because his work is exceptional!

I'm the person who makes the kits that Mario is building.  I've was a mod here on MSW for many years but resigned that job because my focus has shifted to building guitars. I still build boat models but I've moved away from fully rigged ships just because there are only so many hours in a day...

If you are interested in purchasing one of these kits please visit my web page and send me an e-mail from the link at the bottom of any of the pages or you can e-mail me at scott@scottsguitars.net.  The cost of a kit is normally $80 plus shipping but because MSW is an organization that I've been a part of for many years is am lowering the price to MSW members to $70 plus shipping.  The kit includes everything you need to build the model including mast, yard, oar and quarter rudder stock that I turn by hand.  Needlees to say it takes quite a few hours to make a kit so I don't make much on a per hour basis but my interest is in getting many of these boats out there for people to see and talk about.  If you want to purchase a prebuilt model, there is also information on that on the web site.  I've built and shipped these models to Germany, North Carolina and Utah thus far.

I don't want to hijack Marios post so please e-mail me with questions about the kit rather than post them here.  Enjoy Mario's posts, he's doing a great job as my beta tester!

Scott

www.scottsguitars.net

scott@scottsguitars.net