Hi everyone, been building a 1/72 scratch Victory for quite a while now. keep going off the boil and back again (is this normal) and at the mo I`m building or trying. I picked the Victory at 1/72 simply for the fact that jokita do a fine example at that scale thus giving me a wealth of top notch parts to add to my scratch, cannons, photo etch, e.t.c.

It will be made as simply as possible with no fancy interior although i am toying with the idea of full cannons on all decks but we will see

post-4391-0-97747200-1370134974.jpg

post-4391-0-14512200-1370135001.jpg

post-4391-0-68932200-1370135077_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-08890600-1370135100_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-74968300-1370135185_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-57742300-1370135243_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hello William,

You are off to a good start.

Will you be using filler blocks for the bow to support your planking?

PS - yes, it is normal to be 'off the boil and back again'.

It happens to us all once in a while.

Good luck with your build and enjoy.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Looks like a great start!  Did you find the laser level helped with the alignment?  Have been toying with the idea on my builds as well.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hello William,

You are off to a good start.

Will you be using filler blocks for the bow to support your planking?

PS - yes, it is normal to be 'off the boil and back again'.

It happens to us all once in a while.

Good luck with your build and enjoy.

Anja

hi Anja, no, didn`t use any filler blocks and already started the planking, although i curved the planks round the bow when fitting i noticed that they later tended to lose the curve and judder round the bow, oh well we live and learn,  cheers

Looks like a great start!  Did you find the laser level helped with the alignment?  Have been toying with the idea on my builds as well.

hi Wayne, yes the laser was very helpful, with it being a scratch build, i cut the rib slots slightly wider than the false keel to give me some side to side movement, then with the keel plumb inserted the ribs keeping the centre line of the rib in the middle of the keel and then setting the line on the top strap to the laser, putting in a top strap with a centre line makes sure its bang on, also the top strap gives the ribs much more strength for fairing, planking e.t.c., when the time comes the top strap will be removed. cheers

• 1 month later...

Nice work on the barge.   That's a sweet model unto itself.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi William,

That's very nice work on the barge. Waiting to see the ship progress!

As for your question about going on and off the boil, I can't answer for everyone, but it's almost 3 years since I began my build (which is nowhere near half-way yet) and I've had several "on and off" periods.

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. had a go at carving one of the small guys on the figurehead, quite pleased with myself even though it looks nothing like the real thing except for the stance, the right arm rests on the figurehead crown and will be carved to fit at that stage, (if I ever get there) !

post-4391-0-20822300-1379598718_thumb.jpg

Edited by williamDB

• 2 weeks later...

i am looking forward to more of the main build progress photo's, but lovely work on the barge and carvings

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Chip????   I must be going blind.  That shield looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 weeks later...

William that is some fine carving!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 8 months later...

can we have an update please

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your kind coments, small update, finished the first planking of the hull, cut out all the gun ports inserted the linings and filled in all the gashy bits on the ports side, the quarter galley doors have had the linings inserted and left slightly proud so as to let the second planking butt up and then be sanded flush, all prep work finished on this side, started work on the starboard side but still lots of work to do ,cheers

William

post-4391-0-52340500-1407599055_thumb.jpg

Edited by williamDB