Sultana by Sawdust - Model Shipways - 1/64 scale

I guess the sooner I restart my  Sultana the better. Once we were quite a fleet but now rhere are none left.  In scanning through photos this one came to hand. It shows the hull with spars temporarily pinned in place .

and is as good aplace as any to begin.

Kip (aka Sawdust)

post-77-0-05702200-1361056627_thumb.jpg

Looks like she is about ready for rigging . It is good to see you back.

Russ

Hello Kip,

Just caught up with your Sultana log, she's coming along beautifully, looking forward to more updates :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Rigging is not as difficult as you imagine. You will do just fine.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hi Kip,

Welcome home. Glad to see you are posting again. Your Sultana is very nice indeed. Was glad to view it when we visted together on Vancover Island last year.

Keep on, my friend!

BFN,

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted on kit build log.

Current: Sultana (MSW) Reposting log and continuing on with the build)

Kip Great to see you back up and running. I will be out on the Island later this spring, visiting my son and grandsons. I hope to be able to get up Island and visit.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Kip, good to see you back and posting again.  I was wondering just the other day how your Sultana was fairing.  Glad to see you are paying attention to her again and restarting the log.  It's more than I can say for myself.  I still have all the pics of Bluenose on my desktop, I just haven't found the time to do it.  The long(er) evenings are here and I have sooo many outdoor projects that demand my time, i doubt Bluenose will get the devoted attention she did when I first started on her back in Novemeber.  I am working on the chaniplates now and the masts and booms are done.  i will begin rigging soon.

Well, good luck to you and I will try to drop you a line when I get a chance.  My wife and I are still planning a trip to Victoria (someday) and I hope to come up to meet you.

Rob

Hello Rob great to hear from you.  . I hope you  make it accross the strait to the island .   I would love to meet up with you. Dont forget to plan a trip to the Maritime museum in Victoria.

Enjoy the journey,

Kip

• 8 months later...

It has been over a year since I have worked on my  Sultana. My  hand tremor  which had become progressively worse  over the years had reached the point where I broke more than I made. Lack of  a steady hand and manual dexterity  limited  my abilities and activities.    I chose to abandon my prescription medication since it did not eliminate my tremor and affected my reaction time  and I could not give up driving. Ship modelling became a spectator  activity. I still enjoyed  visiting   MSW, reading and meeting with my good ship modeling buddies here on the island. 

My dear wife had been taking magnesium  to alleviate  her night time leg cramps.  On Christmas Eve while reading articles on the importance of   Magnesium in our diet she discovered an article which  described dramatic improvements  for people suffering with the inherited condition "essential tremor" . The improvement had been brought about by a daily dose of 500mg. I began taking magnesium supplement there and then Ten days later my tremor has not entirely  disappeared but  my hands , especially the right are steadier than they have been in many years. As my Admiral says I can now eat soup in public!!!  The other day I sat at my bench and tried theading blocks and tying knots using tweezers. I met with repeated success.   I feel I can return to working  on my Sultana and Old Blue.

I would not normally share  personal medical  information over the internet but   hope that in doing so that any other crewmember suffering with  the same affliction will  benefit from my experience.

Best Christmas present I ever received.

Once more I am enjoying the journey and not just watching from the sidelines.

Kip (aka Sawdust)

Kip...It is good to see that you have found relief from the tremors. I'm sure there are many here who can use your suggestion to relive some of their symptoms as well. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing some new progress on the Sultana!

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

Hi Kip,

First of all - Happy New Year!

I was very glad to hear that you have found relief from your tremor and can get back to a hobby you get so much enjoyment from. All the best with the rest of your build!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Kip - I have thought of you often over the past year and wondered what had become of you.  The occasional post would show up, but no building activity.  I am happy to hear you were able to find something that works for you (and of course i am looking to the resurrection of Old Blue :)).

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks  Craig, Peter , Bob,  Davy boy and Yves for dropping by and your encouragement. It is much appreciated.  I have now located most if not all the parts I previously made. It is amazing how many parts I had created and salted away . I first plan on permanently installing   the   bowsprit   and head rails etc. . I know that  it all fits and with my steadier hands there will be no breakages.

Kip 

Edited by sawdust

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kip, just thought I'd pop in and follow your build along, it must feel great to be back, though having to relocate all the bits must be a hassle ;)

Take Care

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kip, your Slipway looks the business, and is pretty much what I had in mind for Ballahoo (admittedly Ballahoo's slipway will have to built on a slight slope to counteract the fact that her keel and her deck aren't parallel)

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄