USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Still working on re-creating your pics, Geoff.

Got the first one covered.

I ended up using styrene strips for the remaining ribs, as can be seen here on the pinnace.

The three long-boats to the rear have had three coats of white paint. A final coat of matt varnish should finish the job. I'm planning on all white with red from the riser up on the interior and a red top-rail.

Next up will be stained floor-boards, as I move onto to your next pic. 

post-675-0-51764100-1364724784_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Looking good Steve. The plastic is actually easy to work with. Just take your time. I painted the interrior before I added the floor boards. Then I just scraped off the area I wanted to glue to.

The one thing I did that was a little different is that I used different woods on the interriors. The big boat was done with boxwood the two side boats were done with cherry and the stern boat was donw with mahagony. I like to experiment as I go along for future builds. But like I said before, once you put all the stuff in the boats you don't see much of the interrior.

Have fun

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Steve, I have bookmarked your log. I have not even started to make the boats but like the way you and Geoff are going about them. Thanks for all the pictures they help a lot.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hello guys!

I used the same method for building my 25ft ships boat, will upload a few pictures but I used strip wood for the ribs and it worked well and I did not have to spend any money for material as I used what I had on hand or cut.

post-1091-0-48720400-1364739595_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-41234300-1364739607_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-62171000-1364739619_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-35012700-1364739708_thumb.jpg

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Steve, I have bookmarked your log. I have not even started to make the boats but like the way you and Geoff are going about them. Thanks for all the pictures they help a lot.

Jay, Geoff's pics have helped me a lot. 

Although, if I could do 'em over, I would leave the exterior hulls unpainted. I painted my keels and now wish I'd stained them instead. Am currently pondering the consequences of removing these strips and replacing with a dark wood.

BTW Geoff. After extensive searching, I finally located all four rudders this afternoon.

Was also searching for rhe "unique grating" as mentioned with the detail for the 28' Gig on Sheet 5 (top-left corner) ... 

I can see that yours are a pair of neat triangular gratings with wooden surrounds. However, I can locate nothing similiar to these gratings in my kit !!!  

Am I missing something ??

Did you scratch-build yours ??

Next up, floor-boards and mast-stops.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The grating is a brass square about 2 inches or so. I made the surrounds per the plans and then put the brass grating in. I left it brass because I liked the look. You could always paint it if you want.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

The grating is a brass square about 2 inches or so. I made the surrounds per the plans and then put the brass grating in. I left it brass because I liked the look. You could always paint it if you want.

Okay. I found two of those. I guess that's next on the agenda.

A quick update before joining the rat-race and heading off to work ....

I have salvaged some old grating strips from Davy Jones' Locker (refer my MSW1 thoughts on Billings kits). These have been trimmed of their "teeth" and wood-stained to become the flooring planks.

Still contemplating keel-surgery.

post-675-0-17854100-1364946872_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just a quick update ... no photos at this stage.

The four boats went in for keel-surgery on Wednesday, after I took to them with my modelling knife. All went well and all patients are currently recuperating with newly-fitted keels.

Now, back to re-creating your pics, Geoff ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Glad to hear you got the keels on. I really like building the boats. Each one was a model in itself.

The one decision you have to make when you decide to detail the interrior is how much do you want to put in the boats. As you can see by my pictures, the boats are pretty cluttered :( .  If I were to do it over I think I would have put in a few oars, and maybe left the sails off the masts. You end up hiding a lot of details, but it also hides my mistakes ;)

Have fun with the boats and look forward to you posts. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666

New keels and paint-job. I am much happier with these new keels.

I realise that after fitting the cap-rails, benches etc, as well as all the sundry items (masts, oars, ropes) that the red stripes will barely be visible. But red and white are the colours of CaptainDen's football team !! So, without taking anything away from Connie's beauty, I wished to give a little nod to his Sydney Swans (despite them beating my team for last year's premiership.)

At top-left of the boats are some early attempts at making the gratings for the Captain's Gig. After some frustrating tries, I made a card template of the grating, checked to make sure it would fit, and then built the grating frame to fit the card-piece. So that the brass-plate would align properly with the top of the wood frame, two very small pieces of card were glued on top of each other inside the frame with the brass-plate CA glued onto this "stack".

Geoff, I've taken note of your comment re: hiding the detail with all the deck furniture. I think I'll pare back on these items when the time comes.

post-675-0-32404000-1365287000_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I agree Steve that the surgery was successful and that the boats will be happy with the new keels.

It only goes to show that this hobby can be or lead to anything you want it to be. Like a 'red and white jersey' for your Conny?

I assume that when you say 'football' you are referring to the sport of 'soccer' and not that other version of 'rugby'. 

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I agree Steve that the surgery was successful and that the boats will be happy with the new keels.

It only goes to show that this hobby can be or lead to anything you want it to be. Like a 'red and white jersey' for your Conny?

I assume that when you say 'football' you are referring to the sport of 'soccer' and not that other version of 'rugby'. 

Neither of the above, Jay.

I'm talking of a little-known version of football we have here in Orstraya.

Well, little-known to nearly all bar the 20 million-plus population of Australia, anyway.

It's known officially as the AFL (Australian Football League), but we just call it "Aussie rules".

Incidentally, floor-boards have been installed for three of the boats.

... and one grating plate so far.

As I am one of those poor, unfortunate people who must work for a living, progress is slow.

However, I do try to do something each night.

Even if that is just a couple of planks before bed-time.

post-675-0-30191200-1365688632_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Your boats look nice Steve. I was wondering about the keels. Did you have to file a flat area at the bow and stern to glue them in place?

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Definitely Jeff.

Starting with the kit's toast-slice formers, I did originally begin sanding by hand.

As I usually get to spend less than an hour a day on my Connie (extra on weekends as much as I can), this could've taken months to get right. But using the engraving tool as a sander cut this back to a few hours.

But, yes, I did flatten the bottoms to allow for the thin (1/16") strips used as keel-pieces.

Of course, in my case, I ended up re-doing these parts, which meant a little extra sanding and additional re-levelling for the new keel strips.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Not having ever made a "bread and butter" or "toaster slice" formers, boat, what did you do the first time that was wrong, that you had to do it over again? I don't know what to look for in your images to compare. I've been watching you, Modeler12, Geoff, among others to learn as much as I can before I start my attempt at the Conny sometime in a year or so. I'm still working on my Bob Hunt kit bash of the Rattlesnake and still have a ways to go.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Not having ever made a "bread and butter" or "toaster slice" formers, boat, what did you do the first time that was wrong, that you had to do it over again? I don't know what to look for in your images to compare. I've been watching you, Modeler12, Geoff, among others to learn as much as I can before I start my attempt at the Conny sometime in a year or so. I'm still working on my Bob Hunt kit bash of the Rattlesnake and still have a ways to go.

JS,

I think the only thing I would do differently would be to have NOT glued the bottom "slice" on until more shaping of the internal sides had been done. I cannot speak for others, but I found it quite a chore to sand the internal bottom curvature without accidentally taking more than I needed from the upper pieces.

However, using either curved wood or styrene strips for the ribs does help to hide the less-than-perfect job I did on this shaping. These curved pieces, especially when painted all white, very much help to create the illusion of a well-formed hull shape. Even looking at them very close-up, I am more than satisfied with what I have done.   

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

JS,

I think the only thing I would do differently would be to have NOT glued the bottom "slice" on until more shaping of the internal sides had been done. I cannot speak for others, but I found it quite a chore to sand the internal bottom curvature without accidentally taking more than I needed from the upper pieces.

However, using either curved wood or styrene strips for the ribs does help to hide the less-than-perfect job I did on this shaping. These curved pieces, even when painted all white, very much help to create the illusion of a well-formed hull shape. Even looking at them very close-up, I am more than satisfied with what I have done.   

I was thinking the same thing. It would have been easier to shape the inside of the boat before gluing the bottom on.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Steve the boats are loooking good. Look forward to more updates.

Geoff,

Thanks to your pics, they are coming along nicely ... if a little slowly.

As you said, they are definitely a lot of fun to do - just like a mini-kit.

Next up, floor-boards for the Captain's Gig, mast-stops and the other two gratings.

Currently contemplating a repaint of the two whale-boats. The plans do indicate that these should be bulwark-green. As well, a close inspection of photos of modern-day Connie backs this up. Not certain of the historical accuracy of this, however, as there was no colour photography back in 1812.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hello Steve

It must suck having to wait on putting Conny together but at least this way you get 4 built, Nice job on these little buggers. I agree with you on the MS long boat project. its a great bunch of builds.

I went with the MS Pinnace kit as its 1:24 vs the long boats 1:48 ratio, as larger scale is easier for me.

For a 1:76 scale your work is Excellent. I love working on the small boats, but the 1:76 scale is almost too small for me and I am always amazed by those that can achieve such perfection at such small scales. Can't wait the see the Conny going together. 5 or 6 windows, 5 would be easier, but I'm thinking scale.

Geoff, I hate to say this as an ex-plastic car model fan, but I hate the idea of plastics on wooden kits. Then you have to show off your perfect little set of 4 boats ands show me I'm wrong again. Oh well, Live and learn. I'm astounded at the quality of work and the real effect done with styrene. You may have converted me. I'll be checking out your log next. (Hum IL, were neighbours).

Hello Steve

It must suck having to wait on putting Conny together but at least this way you get 4 built, Nice job on these little buggers. I agree with you on the MS long boat project. its a great bunch of build

Geoff, I hate to say this as an ex-plastic car model fan, but I hate the idea of plastics on wooden kits. Then you have to show off your perfect little set of 4 boats ands show me I'm wrong again. Oh well, Live and learn. I'm astounded at the quality of work and the real effect done with styrene. You may have converted me. I'll be checking out your log next. (Hum IL, were neighbours).

Welcome aboard Mad ...

I calculate that this is going to be a long journey. Current estimate - based on previous builds, as well as the level of detail on this kit - is appprox 5 to 6 YEARS !!!

One idea that I have toyed with (tho' did not use) to replicate the look of real wood.

Take strips of styrene and, using the modellers' knife, make tiny slash marks along the length. Random cuts are better.

Then a light paint job using BLACK or DARK BROWN/RED paint with broad strokes of the brush.

Do not be too concerned about covering the entire surface ... the aim is the highlight of darker colour worked into the knife-work above.

Once this has COMPLETELY dried, paint the strips with a slightly diluted light-brown paint.

Sand very lightly (Gauge 100), and then a final coating with a matt-varnish.

(Painting tip courtesy of my good mate, Marvin) 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I also thought of painting the boats green as they are now. But....I really like the white so that is the way I went. I just think a green boat would be hard to spot on the water.

As for the plastic on a wooden model. I thought long and hard about about that one. I like to experiment and try things for future builds. The plastic worked well at the scale of the Conny. Thats why used boxwood for the interrior on the large boat, cherry on the two side boats, and mahogany on the stern boat.

I have also used plastic for some iron bands and bands in general and painted them black. All worked well. I have also soldered a lot of fittings and once you paint them black you cannot really tell the diference. Some modelers use card stcok in the same manner.

On the bowsprit I did use metal for the all the fittings. Except for the the bands for the jibboom . I made those band from plastic and apinted them black.

I guess it is personal preference. I really like working with 1/48 scale and would probably used all wood and, brass, and wire at those scales.

Thanks for the comments as they are always welcome and taken seriously. It still amazes me how many ways there are sre to do the same thing in modleing ;)

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Steve

To simulate wood grain on plastic I have seen modelers use sandpaper to roughen up the wood, paint it brown or the color you and and then use a light black wash to simulate the wood grain.

That is why I used maghony on the stern whale boat. I really liked the grain of the wood.

post-747-0-60925300-1365860032_thumb.jpg

You can see how much interrior you hide by filling the boats will the extra stuff.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff,

My main consideration regarding the matter of colouring is the overall look of the model.

I'm a little concerned about over-powering the final image with too much white.

At the same time, I hope to cut back on the red stripes with wooden cap-rails and deck furniture.

PS Thanks for that latest pic - added to the collection !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)