Hi Murphys, I recall seeing your excellent build of Mordaunt was it on the old forum, so I understand your interest in the period content of the book.

The book is of a slightly smaller size than many others on the subject measuring 253 x 185mm (Portrait) It contains 128 pages of which 57 relate to the specific period you are interested in.

It is fairly rich in clear colour photos of models but I recognise quite a few from those available on the NMM site. Each photo is annotated with the NMM SLR number which is the Museum’s unique object reference number.

As for named vessels there are very few, but the narrative uses mostly unnamed vessels to point out the differences between the Establishment  classes.

The cost at Amazon is £25 but it can be bought from their affiliates for around £15, which I think is more the value. When I compare it with say The Restoration warship by Richard Endsor, a large format book, which can be bought for under £30 I think the top price is a little steep for what you get.

Still I can’t resist books on our favourite subject so I of course have it, but if cost was an issue I think I would hold out for a good second hand copy in a few months time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

B.E.

• 2 weeks later...