Triton X Section - MainSail Top Bitts - Sheaves

I'm almost at the point on the build where I will be making the MainSail Top Bitts and was wondering if the sheaves were made of brass or wood. I see on some models it looks like wood has been used for the sheaves, but in other models brass has been used for the sheaves. Maybe it's my eyes, but if brass was used, then how did they mount them inside the post? Am I wrong? I don't see anything in the pdf files on the MainSail Top Bitts that mention brass. Can someone give me some guidance on how to make them. Thanks

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Ron,

There's several ways to approach this..  the simplest is merely drill two through holes for each sheave and then connect with a recess but not all the way through.  A slot on the front and one on the back. 

If you want make working sheaves, there's different ways to approach this also.

1) Drill the two through holes for each sheave and then connect them such that there's a slot all the way through the bitt.  Fit sheave in the slot and put in an axle.

2) Laminate wood together such that it leaves the slot for each sheave.  Fit sheave and axle.

I used method 1 but only have a photo of the completed bitt.

post-76-0-71159800-1374729939_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I would use method 1 as well. A lot will depend on the builder's preference.

As for the type of material for the sheaves, that is the builder's choice. I have made sheaves out of brass and wood. So long as you use a hard wood like boxwood or something similar, there should be no problem making them like that.

Russ

Thanks Mark and Russ.

Method 1 does sound like the best way to go. I take it that the brass sheaves were turned on a lathe. Could you tell me what size of brass rod was used? I haven't done any lathe work for many years, but look forward to doing it once again. I don't have a lathe at this time to do it right now, but I will be looking around to get one in the near future. Besides, I will need the lathe to turn the barrels for the cannons also. Meanwhile, I can work on other things like making the ladders and pillars and treenailing the lower deck and such.

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Ron:
You can measure the length of the sheave slots on the plan and then take off a couple of scale inches for the rope to fit. That diameter should be good enough. Since this model is not rigged, that will be close enough.

Russ

Ron:

You can measure the length of the sheave slots on the plan and then take off a couple of scale inches for the rope to fit. That diameter should be good enough. Since this model is not rigged, that will be close enough.

Russ

Thanks for the info Russ.

Ron