... on the subject of which, how would the panel go about simulating the planking?

SW needs a plane or planar face to sketch onto, so I was going to trace the planks onto the right (amidships(!)) plane and then project the curves onto the outside face. However I'm not sure that this is the best way to go about doing it.

Eventually the sketches on the outside face will need to be extruded slightly to simulate the planking.

I should probably point out that the eventual aim of this is to create a 2 part mould for resin casting. I expect that each part of the mould will be CNC milled, but I will investigate 3D printing.

On every frame that I do, I use a plane to the right and then another on the top. I also make sure I use 3 of the plane I already have for the hull shape ( I got 5 of them ) so that all the chucks line up the same. You will need to use planes all the time.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I will try. Going to need a day or two to get back to you. I know how to do it, but trying to explain it is the hard part for me. You have to understand I have a friend that helps me and I record everything all the time, this way when I get stuck I go back and watch the video and see what I forgot to do (I am always forgetting).

Wacko

• 3 weeks later...

If you create a plane at the cross section of each frame then you can sketch each individual plank along the frame; it would look like a bunch of little rectangles along a curve as in this sketch below. Do this at each frame; then when you're done come back and connect all the points with a spline. It's a lot of work but I can't think of a more accurate way of doing it. I'm interested in seeing how WackoWolf does it maybe he has a better way!

planking.jpg

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this. Don9of11 has one way, which like he said is a lot more work. I will try and get some pictures for you this week. Personal stuff has come up that has keep be away from doing any work in SoildWorks this last few weeks plus the Holidays. I will be leaving for China in like 19 days so i will try and get something posted for you. Sorry guys.

Wacko

Hmm,  I talk this over with the person who is teaching me. First I am the wrong person to be teaching someone something that is being taught to me,so here goes. The pictures of all the boats in the water, the planking on them is clinker (not sure if you know this or not), also which is the Bow and which is the stern? Where is the rudder hook at and how, this is just some question that came up when looking at the picture. Also are you using plans to do this? Another thing because of it being a clinker planking, you have to start at the bottom and work up, putting one plank over the last. Another point in the picture of the boats, not sure which end is which but the way the planks end at each end is not going to be easy,take a look at the picture. Someone who knows these boats will be able to shed some light on how they were made.

Don9of11. The way you are saying to do it can be done that way but if any of the frames have more points than the next when you loft you will not get a smooth loft. Try using the spline and then smooth the spline out. Like trace the frame if your working from a plan using the spline and don't stop until you have gone from A to B, then smooth the trace line using other features of the spline, do each frame like that and this way when you do loft it will be a heck of a lot smoother.

I hope I shed some light on this.  I am going to be gone in 13 days, but will be checking my email everyday while I am gone. I do hope I shed some light on this for you, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

• 3 weeks later...

finding this interesting

attached are images from BR67 Manual of Seamanship 1937 VOL 1

reference to describe clinker, carvel or diagonal built boats

Alan

post-9868-0-39062300-1390610879_thumb.jpg

post-9868-0-28483300-1390610889_thumb.jpg

post-9868-0-38046900-1390610897_thumb.jpg

post-9868-0-19383700-1390610906_thumb.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I appreciate the original construction technique, but I'm thinking that in order to get a solidworks model looking like that, I'll probably have to:

- get the shape of the hulls correct, probably using lofted surface between the stations and the keel and gunwhale as guidecurves

- 3d sketch onto the lofted surface where the planking lies

- extrude inwards to create the thickness of the hull

- swept cut using something that looks like a cut through of the planks and the original 3d sketches as guide curves

That's the idea anyway!

Do the panel think that will work?

What you outline above might work... give it a try!

For me I think using "construction lines" and fixed "points" to then use the lofting feature might be best

Some day soon I expect I will be trying this myself so I would not know for sure until then

Having one master file for the 3D lofting (all construction lines) and then save it as another file multiple times to create the individual parts from (change select construction lines to object line then extrude the shape for the individual part) then a final assembly file to assembly the individual parts in to build the 3D model might be my approach

This would be a lot extra work compared to what I believe you are trying to accomplish but the finished fitted 3D model part files could then be used as templates for an actual build

Again, I have to say I have not done this yet so it is just in my humble opinion, untried and unproven.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 4 weeks later...

NGR, I would definately advise against extruding for the hull thickness, it will make any swept plank shapes very difficult due to the plane you are extruding on.

Don's suggestion sounds like a much better proposal. You can define the plank section, position, orientation in the sketch so can represent clinker built. Then by extruding (sweeping) in the other plane you have much more control. You can repeat the plank sketch at each bulkhead, changing the size, shape, orientation as you go. The sweep wil then follow your series of sketches blending between them.

Some work will be needed to finish the ends and the transitions at the bulkheads may need some smoothing.

Nick