Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Triton (1:48) by kellrandy (Randall)

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Hi everyone, one little update and a question...

I have the keel rebuilt complete with the copper bolts and everything worked out great this time around. I also have the sternpost and inner post finished up as well. I made quite the error in carving my deadwood that I'll have to re-do that again as well, but hey, I'm still having a blast. I'm not going to bother with pics until I get past the deadwood and can show some progress.

Now on to my question... I was told that EdT's books of the Naiad were great sources of information for this build and wow, aren't they ever, thanks again Guy for that. I also found this book called "The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War, 1600-1815" by Brian Lavery and it had some great samples and even some formulas! (I'm an engineer by trade and love formulas). One sample gave a formula for the keel's bolt diameter which I used for mine. I was wondering if it is also an accurate source for information on building methods as well?
  • the learner likes this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

In short... yes it is an excellent source.  

• WackoWolf likes this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain, The Old Continent

Randall,

We love pics and more pics, you do not bother us at all! You can buy the Anatomy of the Ship book series, the HMS Diana for example. Those a pretty good books and quite cheap.

best wishes.

Daniel.

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Your pictures look a little blury and out of focus, besure to set the Mega pixel's to the highest possible setting on your camera and use the closeup function!

Good Start

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Sorry about the photos everyone. I'll try to do a better job with them next time. Using my phone to take them probably doesn't help much either, lol.

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Go for it Randall!

We´ll be here waiting...!!

Daniel.

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Hi everyone!  Hope everyone is having a great day.  It's like spring here in the Denver area today, very nice.

I'm back again, this time with a little progress finally after having to pretty much start over.  I hope the photos came out better this go 'round.  So I have the fore pieces, aft deadwood (finally came out acceptable, but still not absolutely perfect), and the keel rebuilt.  I carved the steps on the deadwood by hand as you tell by the pile of shavings in the photos.  Now I'm off working on the stem, apron, and fore deadwood.

Attached File  IMG_0071.jpg   216.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0073.JPG   191.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0078.jpg   174.7KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0083.jpg   191.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0085.jpg   107.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0086.jpg   93.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0087.jpg   89.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0089.JPG   195.72KB   0 downloads

• Pete38, mtaylor, harvey1847 and 1 other like this

Tim C

Tim C
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationHudson, Florida USA

Looking Good

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

sport29652

sport29652
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • Locationnevada
Wow great job ! I'm a newbie to scratch myself. Have some kits but am having 10x the fun doing this scratch build. What are you using for your joint, paint, pencil, tar ?
Eric

Current build(s) ;
AL San Francisco II
http://modelshipworl...190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake
http://modelshipworl...ort29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Hi Eric, thanks for the compliment. For my joints, I use a plain ole sharpie. I tested with some paint and a pencil, but the sharpie gave me the best look, at least for me. Just test first before using anything on some scraps with them glued together, and also to make sure it doesn't bleed into the wood too much especially on the end grain. The glue does change the color slightly.
  • dewalt57 likes this

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

It's looking really good

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

beautiful bolting Randall!

Can you believe I have not drill the stem after three years?! I´ll do it today...

Keep going Randall, best wishes.

daniel.

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Thank you everyone for the compliments, it's greatly appreciated. I will post some pics tomorrow, but I believe I've reached the stage where I can mount it to my build board and begin the framing process. I have the stem, keel, stern post, inner post, and deadwoods assembled. I plan on installing the keelson as I go with the framing. With all of that complete, is it ready for framing, or should I complete other things before I embark on that?

Also, I plan on placing the finished model on a cradle instead of posts, so drilling holes to mount it is out of the question for me. I've come up with a solution I think will work out well, and keep it secure and nicely square and plumb to the board without drilling or glueing anything that isn't supposed to be. I will post that method for everyone when I get all the details worked out.

Until then, talk at everyone later and have a great week!

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Hi everyone, so I'm a day late in posting photos, but here they are.  I'm still working on the board mounting system.  I should have some pics of that method sometime this weekend.

Attached File  IMG_0090.jpg   148.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0091.jpg   163.91KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0092.jpg   154.38KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0094.jpg   106.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0095.jpg   116.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0096.jpg   157.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0097.jpg   155.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0098.jpg   184.54KB   0 downloads

• mtaylor, harvey1847, Tim C and 1 other like this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Good Morning Randy!

A bit late answering you too...

I plan on installing the keelson as I go with the framing.

I wouldn´t go that way, even if you fair the frames before erect them yes or yes you´ll have to make more fairing work inside and outside of the hull. It´s my opinion of course. One thing I can tell you, by adding the keelson the strength you give to the hull is enormous.

Other thing that worked for me was to glue the aft and fore frames first, faired them and then glue the square frames. It´s much more easy to sand this two parts than if you have all of them in place.

Beautiful pics anyway, nice and clean! Best wishes Randall!

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847, 05 February 2014 - 08:39 AM.

• mtaylor likes this

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

Makes sense and dont we all hate fairing...

• harvey1847 likes this

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Thank you for the tip, Daniel. The stability the keelson provides is why I am thinking of doing it that way. I had planned to cut a set of frames, fair the center, then install a piece of the keelson and continue until all the frames and keelson were complete. Then I would fair the rest inside and out. I had also planned on leaving them with a little extra wood width wise for the fairing process. I'm just scared that I would accidentally break one if my sanding blocks catch one the wrong way if I don't have it installed. We'll see how it progresses as it is a long process and I'll have plenty of time to rethink this approach.

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Good luck then...! You are going to have lots of fun framing. You can bet that!

Best wishes.

Daniel.

kellrandy

kellrandy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
Don't I know that, lol. After cutting out the transoms and aft frames and test fitting them, I can see where you were coming from, Daniel. Doing it the way I had described will be quite difficult to get right, at least for me, and the keelson may not lay right doing it in sections like that. I think I'll install them all first, still going in sections, make a few, install a few to keep the monotony down somewhat. Then I'll fair the inside, install the keelson, then fair the outside.

I do have one question about the hawse pieces... Is it better/easier to fair them roughly, install, then finish the fairing process on them when the rest of the fore frames are installed so it flows more smoothly?

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts

I do have one question about the hawse pieces... Is it better/easier to fair them roughly, install, then finish the fairing process on them when the rest of the fore frames are installed so it flows more smoothly?

That is the way I did it Randall. I roughly fair the interior and I am sanding the exterior now (It´s done). Kind of tricky pieces. For the exterior I just  wanted to have a "whole view" of the hull before sanding it. I did this way because I was not sure about my skills or if I was going to be able to center the frames exactly on there position on the keel.

If you feel with confi and with better skills you could do it like I like to say "Ed´s way" ... Fair the frames completly (int/ext) and then erect them. Small later fairing will be done. I think this method saves lots of time. like I said I didn´t trust myself to do it this way so I went for the easier to me.

Good luck Randall and post more pics!!

Daniel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.