Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau- 1:24 - Finished

Chris,

If I rig a model height will be an issue 6 feet at 1/24.

Tom,

Thank you very much, I am very happy that you appreciate the photos.

Carl to build an end section, Karl our german friend, is the expert in this area. When I read some builds on this forum I observe that every one has his own speciality.

My speciality is not the rigging,

My speciality is not end section,

I would like to say that my speciality is to build as big as I can handle in the home

1/24 for a 74, 1/12 for a frigate. Pegasus could still be a possibility. I still would have to buy plans from the Museum but I do not know the complete Epicery list.

Rob,

I think that the best ability you need to do drawings, model ships, carvings and many more is the sense of the proportions. If 1 part is out of proportion (not to scale, balance…) the carving will not look good.

The model your present is  very nice one, Le Soleil Royal is another very nice one as many others. But I prefer to build than to do carvings.

post-184-0-83568700-1486739496_thumb.jpg

Just no words, Gatean.  Everyone else has said it all.   Your work is beyond us mere mortals. 

As for the next build, I trust you'll just follow your heart and build a ship you love.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love, to follow your log. It doesn't matter what kind of ship you build next, I will do it again

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

As a newcomer to this area of modelling, I have been reading through this log and others to give me inspiration to begin my own journey down the scratch build route. I am not familiar with ship building techniques but I am familiar with joinery and wood which is why I Iook forward to starting my first build. 

I have learned a lot from your comments and techniques so thank you for your explanations and comments both in building the model and photographing its progress.

I  would like to pass comments on your post 554 in relation to the doors and the floor clearance. I have no idea if I am on the right route, but would they have used a form of what we call Rising Butt Hinges. These are angled hinges which have the pin fixed to the bottom part of the hinge only. Opening the door allows it to rise and fall on the hinge, and is fitted to doors in situations such as this.

Thanks again and as others have said a great achievement congratulations

Regards

Noel

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Thank you Christian,

For the next build, I see 2 doors: 1 at 1/24 a bigger 74  and 1 at 1/12 a smaller frigate.

Thank you Noel,

Your answer is as good as mine.  This could be a possibility, the other being  in the message, there is a drawing and if you look under the door there is a height of a step giving the necessary clearance to open the door.

Mark, as you are, I am also just a human.